Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

jornpoulsen

Thai Airways

jornpoulsen

Just completed a Thai Airways trip, KL-BKK-CPH and back again on business. I paid around USD 3k for the ticket. 

‘The cabin was appalling.  The seats didn’t lie flat and the lower leg portion remained almost vertical. This made the sleeping position very uncomfortable. 

There was no USB charging port and the LCD screen was duller than a photo from 1895!

We’re in 2019 now - Thai seemed to have overlooked that. 

I’ve been quite loyal to them over the years, but I think it’s time for a change.  

What do you guys fly with to Europe?

javasumatra
1 minute ago, jornpoulsen said:

Just completed a Thai Airways trip, KL-BKK-CPH and back again on business. I paid around USD 3k for the ticket. 

‘The cabin was appalling.  The seats didn’t lie flat and the lower leg portion remained almost vertical. This made the sleeping position very uncomfortable. 

There was no USB charging port and the LCD screen was duller than a photo from 1895!

We’re in 2019 now - Thai seemed to have overlooked that. 

I’ve been quite loyal to them over the years, but I think it’s time for a change.  

What do you guys fly with to Europe?

There are so many great Airlines between Europe and Thailand -

Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Oman, Eva and Cathay just for a start.

SteveX08
29 minutes ago, jornpoulsen said:

What type of aircraft?

bukone
13 minutes ago, SteveX08 said:

What type of aircraft?

Sounds like the 747 

mrfixer

Years ago Thai were pretty good but IMHO they are now outclassed on service by the Middle East carriers and their prices are not competitive. Obviously with the ME carriers you have a change of aircraft somewhere in the ME, but I actually prefer that to a non-stop.

bgtp
2 hours ago, SteveX08 said:

What type of aircraft?

Last week I flew a Thai B777-200 from BKK to MNL and had the same issues as the OP, no lie-flat and the leg rest didn’t fully raise either on my seat or the seat next to me which was vacant and I also tried. Cabin was in the worst shape of any I have ever flown in. Fortunately, it was a relatively short flight. Last month, I flew a Thai A350-900 from HKG to BKK and it was great.

Bonkabit

Several times I have flown Thai A350 Melbourne-Bangkok return. Excellent.

My one gripe is when the plane does not dock at an airbridge but you have to transfer into a bus which seems to go on a leisurely tour of the Land of Smiles. The proposed airport extensions will hopefully fix that; I think Suvarnabhumi passenger capacity will increase from about 40 million a year by fifty per cent to 60 million.

But when? 

corp009

I've flown Singapore airline the last couple of years to the UK , USA and Thailand , its one of the best airline i have ever flown .  I was looking at Thai airline but after reading reviews i decided to stick with Singapore Air. 

semi-retired member
6 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

My one gripe is when the plane does not dock at an airbridge but you have to transfer into a bus which seems to go on a leisurely tour of the Land of Smiles. The proposed airport extensions will hopefully fix that; I think Suvarnabhumi passenger capacity will increase from about 40 million a year by fifty per cent to 60 million.

But when? 

You will have seen that work has been underway, on the First satellite-terminal, for the past two years.

It's supposed to open next year, but only looks half-completed so far, then there should be a Second satellite further-South of the First one, and a Third-runway.

But TiT, and anyone who saw the Fred-Karno's-Circus originally getting Swampy built, would not be too surprised if the projects over-run their target completion-dates.

Amazing Thailand ! :rolleyes:

LeoTex
20 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

Several times I have flown Thai A350 Melbourne-Bangkok return.

My one gripe is when the plane does not dock at an airbridge but you have to transfer into a bus which seems to go on a leisurely tour of the Land of Smiles.

I hate when that happens.

I have flown into BKK from NRT twice on a A380.

They had airbridge for both up and down, doesn't make sense that they can't airbridge the A350.

Maybe it was a gate issue, I have that happen few times with B747 and B777.

LeoTex 

Bonkabit
1 minute ago, LeoTex said:

I hate when that happens.

I have flown into BKK from NRT twice on a A380.

They had airbridge for both up and down, doesn't make sense that they can't airbridge the A350.

Maybe it was a gate issue, I have that happen few times with B747 and B777.

I have read there is another reason.

The airport is now over capacity; there are not enough airbridges for all planes to dock at an airbridge.

ThaiAir draw the short straw since the airport authority gives preference to the overseas carriers, who pay hefty charges.

Suvarnabhumi is Thai's home base for service and for the flying crew.

Bonkabit
16 minutes ago, Biennial said:

Did you read about the Thai government now proposing a third airport for Bangkok?

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/third-bangkok-airport-proposed-to-ease-overcrowding-pain/

...plans for a new airport in western metro Bangkok’s Nakhon Pathom province, the capital’s third air travel hub, were announced Saturday by government aviation officials.

Deputy director-general of the Airport Department, Jarun Meesomboon, said a proposal for the 560-hectare (3,500-rai) airport was being rushed for approval by the Transport Ministry. It would straddle Nakhon Pathom’s Bang Len and Nakhon Chaisi districts. He very optimistically predicted it would cost THB20 billion (US$65 million) and take four years to complete.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport opened a year late in 2006 and cost an estimated 155 billion baht (US$5 billion)...

Under best-case circumstances, the department would begin construction in 2023 and open the airport by 2026. ..

It would make for the fourth airport funneling travelers into the capital. Suvarnabhumi became so overwhelmed after opening that Bangkok’s original airport, Don Muang, was reopened a year later in 2007 and has since been expanded. The military government has advanced plans for U-Tapao International Airport, located southeast of the capital, to serve both Bangkok and a planned eastern economic corridor.

A rail link between all three of those airports is under construction by the nation’s largest corporate conglomerate. 

per anum
1 hour ago, Biennial said:

Did you read about the Thai government now proposing a third airport for Bangkok?

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/third-bangkok-airport-proposed-to-ease-overcrowding-pain/

If BKK is sinking (like Jakarta as shown in the news a few days ago), it might make sense to build it on high ground!

bryso

always fly to bangkok out of melbourne with philippine airlines

stop over in manila-love it

Philippine airlines have really upped there game in recent years

paid $620 return which is a fantastic price

Fumbduck
2 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

there are not enough airbridges for all planes to dock at an airbridge

Actually, I've had it happen a few times now where the plane actually parks at a gate, they connect the air-bridge, and you think "Great, no friggin' busride this time!", only to be led out a side door on the air-bridge and down the outside stairs to a waiting bus. I tend to get grumpy when that happens.

One thing you might want to look into when picking your airline, in case you are continuing on a domestic flight, is that you will only be allowed to use the immigration counter at the domestic transfer if you arrive on certain airlines. I arrived back recently on Finnair, which is apparently not on the list of favored carriers. This meant I had to go all the way out through arrivals, through a looooong queue at immigration, make my way up to departures and through security. This can take a fair bit longer than using the domestic transfer.

Macawber
1 hour ago, bryso said:

always fly to bangkok out of melbourne with philippine airlines

stop over in manila-love it

Philippine airlines have really upped there game in recent years

paid $620 return which is a fantastic price

Thanks for reminding me about PI Airlines. That's a tempting price. What about the stopover... did you stay in Manila or go ob to BKK asap.? TIA

Explorer8939
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fumbduck said:

Actually, I've had it happen a few times now where the plane actually parks at a gate, they connect the air-bridge, and you think "Great, no friggin' busride this time!", only to be led out a side door on the air-bridge and down the outside stairs to a waiting bus. I tend to get grumpy when that happens.

One thing you might want to look into when picking your airline, in case you are continuing on a domestic flight, is that you will only be allowed to use the immigration counter at the domestic transfer if you arrive on certain airlines. I arrived back recently on Finnair, which is apparently not on the list of favored carriers. This meant I had to go all the way out through arrivals, through a looooong queue at immigration, make my way up to departures and through security. This can take a fair bit longer than using the domestic transfer.

Actually, the transfer is only valid to certain Thai locations, like Phuket.

If you are connecting to Isaan, you will have to go through immigration in Bangkok.

BTW, I don't understand the rationale for parking at a gate, and then making the passengers take a bus.

Edited by Explorer8939

BlooBell

I fly with Emirates and their business class product on the 777s is very poor IMO. I won't pay for it again. The seats aren't particularly roomy, there's a noticeable hump when the seat is reclined flat and the food and drink service is not up to scratch. Also, if you book late and the flight is busy, you're likely to be in the middle of the 3 seats in their 2-3-2 configuration. It's piss poor.

Economy on the 777s is OK and decent value for the c£500 return to BKK.

On the A380s the business class is a little better (better seats and a seated bar area) and the economy is excellent.

Watch a few reviews on youtube, there are lots of them. This should help you make an informed choice.

I won't be paying for BC again. Some BC products are very poor. I'm no longer flying BC to the far east with work so points upgrades for personal flights are off the menu and after paying for it out of my own pocket on a couple of occasions I felt I'd be really wasteful and over indulgent. I just don't see it is value, especially as I sleep like a log even in economy.

Fair play to you if your wealth means that the value-for-money aspect is N/A. For me, if I spend that sort of cash on a flight, I want to feel like It's been a real treat and that I've had bang for my buck. I rarely feel that with BC and will only be doing it with someone else's buck from now on.

Luv2Phuket

4 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

...plans for a new airport in western metro Bangkok’s Nakhon Pathom province, the capital’s third air travel hub, were announced Saturday by government aviation officials.

Deputy director-general of the Airport Department, Jarun Meesomboon, said a proposal for the 560-hectare (3,500-rai) airport was being rushed for approval by the Transport Ministry. It would straddle Nakhon Pathom’s Bang Len and Nakhon Chaisi districts. He very optimistically predicted it would cost THB20 billion (US$65 million) and take four years to complete.

No way in Hell that ANYONE is going to be able to build an airport for $65 million these days!  5555  That estimate is AT LEAST 10 times too low.

Some recent examples:

- the RENOVATIONS at Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX costs almost $800 million USD in 2010, and the current "modernization" project at LAX has a $14 billion USD price tag

- Istanbul's new airport cost $12 billion USD

- Terminal 2 extension in Manchester is carrying a $1.3 billion USD price tag

- Beijing's new Daxing Airport has an estimated $13.8 billion USD price tag

- IMPROVEMENTS at BKK cost an estimated $2.42 billion USD 

- India has 3 new airports coming (Greater Delhi, Pune and Navi Mumbai), with estimates for each ranging from 2.1 to 2.3 billion USD

- Brazil has the cheapest new airport I could find, and it (Sao Paulo Catalina) is reportedly budgeted at $520 million USD

Source: https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/airline-leader/major-airport-construction-projects-that-will-come-to-fruition-in-2019-or-the-following-years-457946

Luv2Phuket

I have been pretty hard on Thai after a couple of recent flights on their VERY outdated 747s, but I got a modern plane with lie flat seats the last time I flew them.

It appears to be a crapshoot, but, if you're looking at a 747, be ready to be disappointed in business class.

thinkingallowed

The cabin in economy is supposed to look like Thai silk but ends up looking like crimplene. Just looks dirty and shabby really quickly to me.

My last flight was in business class on an A380. Big purple plastic seating didn't shout class to me. Food was a total letdown. Was served fish that was cold. When the flight attendant eventually noticed I wasn't eating she offered to warm it up. Now I might have been brave enough to order fish on an aeroplane but not stupid enough to allow them to warm it up for a second time. The breakfast was very disappointing. As business class catering I'd put it behind Qatar, BA, Gulf and KLM all of which I've flown on Bangkok recently.

davidge

On the LHR-BKK route they have 2 flights a day. One is on a 777-300 and the other on an A380. Both have flat bed seats though the 777 was really showing it’s age. I’m not keen on the layout on the A380 either - if you’re in one of the ‘aisle’ seats in the staggered seating it feels like you’re really exposed somehow and miles from the storage near the window.

My main issue, though, was the quite dreadful service in Biz  compared to other airlines. The worst I’ve experienced in recent years. Food poor as well.

The pluses are that they’re direct and the check in at BKK is very good.

Fumbduck
4 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

Actually, the transfer is only valid to certain Thai locations, like Phuket.

If you are connecting to Isaan, you will have to go through immigration in Bangkok.

If you arrive in Bangkok on an international flight, you will always go through immigration there, regardless of your domestic destination. It isn't possible to go to the domestic gates without passing through it. It's only when leaving the country on a domestic flight from an international airport - say, going from Phuket via Bangkok, for instance - that you will pass through immigration at your origin and then get an ICQ-sticker that let's you go straight to the transit area. 

5 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

BTW, I don't understand the rationale for parking at a gate, and then making the passengers take a bus.

Yes, that one's lost on me as well. Nonetheless, it happens from time to time.

semi-retired member

If the inbound-flight is from overseas, but the aircraft's next trip is a Domestic, then possibly they're parking at a Domestic-gate in-preparation, but having to bus the International-PAX to International-arrivals, for Immigration & Customs after baggage-claim ?

Saves moving the plane itself, from an International to a Domestic-gate, but very irritating for the SLF !

Also I've known those gates to have mechanical-problems, from time to time. :wink: