IGNORED

Liquid restrictions to end at UK Airports

Dubnologist

The upgrades should mean the end of the 100ml limit on liquids, but the new technology will not be introduced straight away.

https://news.sky.com/story/liquid-restrictions-to-end-at-uk-airports-thanks-to-new-technology-11793561

live the life you love, love the life you live  

Good news. The idea that one could create a binary Liquid explosive outside of laboratory conditions, and on a plane no less was the height of the security theatre lunacy. 

1 hour ago, Dubnologist said:

The upgrades should mean the end of the 100ml limit on liquids, but the new technology will not be introduced straight away.

https://news.sky.com/story/liquid-restrictions-to-end-at-uk-airports-thanks-to-new-technology-11793561

Sounds like a great idea.

I might, just might be able to have Nil checked baggage. Current situation makes that unworkable but these changes would probably change that, yet still result in effective screening.

Win/ Win.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

What's odd about this change is while CT technology allows for higher resolution views of what's in your bag, plus the screener can rotate the image to "see around" obstructions, it can't tell what the object is made of; other than determining if it's a Liquid, solid, or semi-solid.

The whole sci-fi basis of restricting liquids to less than 100 ml is the technology didn't exist at an affordable cost to tell if the Liquid was a component of a binary Liquid explosive. So somehow it was decided that a nice round number like 100 ml was deemed small enough that people couldn't smuggle enough components to make a binary Liquid explosive on board to cause significant damage.

So my guess is the only reason they're now allowing liquids >100 ml as carry on again is it's part of the justification for spending multi-millions of dollars on new scanners.

Sounds great, but what happens when you have a layover at an airport that doesn't have these scanners?

1 hour ago, J.D.Be. said:

Sounds great, but what happens when you have a layover at an airport that doesn't have these scanners?

I was thinking the same thing.

There have been a few times on Korean Air Duty Free leaving BKK that I would like to have purchased a Liquid item and then wouldn't be able to get through my transfer security at the Soule airport.

LeoTex 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

19 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

I was thinking the same thing.

There have been a few times on Korean Air Duty Free leaving BKK that I would like to have purchased a liquid item and then wouldn't be able to get through my transfer security at the Soule airport.

LeoTex 

Buying liquids in the tax free schould be ok as they now put it in a sealed bag accepted by all(most?) other airports. Just dont open the sealed bag before arriving at end destination.

15 minutes ago, J.D.Be. said:

Buying liquids in the tax free schould be ok as they now put it in a sealed bag accepted by all(most?) other airports. Just dont open the sealed bag before arriving at end destination.

I have purchased at the airport tax free duty before and didn't have a problem because I had already pass through 'security' check before the purchase.

I was refereeing to buying liquids on the plane and then having to go through the airport security changing flights.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, LeoTex said:

I have purchased at the airport tax free duty before and didn't have a problem because I had already pass through 'security' check before the purchase.

I was refereeing to buying liquids on the plane and then having to go through the airport security changing flights.

LeoTex

Ok, i see. Unless they have these sealing bags on the plane i think that would be a problem.

Have you asked if they have these sealing baggs?

2 minutes ago, J.D.Be. said:

Ok, i see. Unless they have these sealing bags on the plane i think that would be a problem.

Have you asked if they have these sealing baggs?

Yes I ask and no they don't have.

I would even think if they did, going through a security (like TSA) check on arrival they not going to let you pass.

LeoTex

21 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

LeoTex

:laugh:

spacer.png

Sowwy. :D

How often does one buy liquids on a plane without drinkinking them on the plane ? Duty Free ? And there's no "sealing" to them ?

But yes, making connections usually requires screening again so I guess you'd need something for them to allow a Liquid to get through.

But don't most duty free purchases get delivered to your (next) gate ? Where you claim them and take them on board ? Even if you previously bought it on the (previous) flight ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

22 minutes ago, sulu said:

:laugh:

How often does one buy liquids on a plane without drinkinking them on the plane ? Duty Free ? And there's no "sealing" to them ?

I don't know about you, but when I did buy a Liquid item, perfume on the plane, I sure didn't drink it.

Also buying a quart of scotch on a 6 hour flight from BKK to ICN (Seoul) I don't think I would drink the whole bottle, not with less than 4 hours left on the flight once they started duty free. I would have a better chance of passing the Liquid through security than myself in that condition.

LeoTex

5 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

I don't know about you, but when I did buy a liquid item, perfume on the plane, I sure didn't drink it.

Also buying a quart of scotch on a 6 hour flight from BKK to ICN (Seoul) I don't think I would drink the whole bottle, not with less than 4 hours left on the flight once they started duty free. I would have a better chance of passing the liquid through security than myself in that condition.

LeoTex

Welllllll, I don't buy anything on the place. Even duty free most of those items are far more expensive than the equivalent things I'd buy.

But I agree. I can't imagine perfume would taste very good - never mind how expensive it would be. LOL

sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

1 hour ago, J.D.Be. said:

Can you have a word with the people that make up the rules for flights into Australia. Not uncommon to see people having their duty free taken off them at the extra search at the gate; especially in Bkk. 

3 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Can you have a word with the people that make up the rules for flights into Australia. Not uncommon to see people having their duty free taken off them at the extra search at the gate; especially in Bkk. 

You have to show your boarding pass when you buy something in the tax free zone. So if some countries or airlines have specific restrictions the shops should know and tell you... in theory...

17 minutes ago, J.D.Be. said:

in theory

Indeed they should, King Power had a little scam going for a while and still see people having booze etc. confiscated now and then, saw a guy going off at the poor staff last trip/trip before. Funny, as he was being an obnoxious dick and even funnier when as I was going downstairs I saw the woman holding duty free bags for those that did it properly (no idea how the guy had it in the first place, pretty sure after there was a stink about it before KingPower was supposed to tell all people on flights to Oz they'll be met at the gate with the duty free).

Not the fault of the airports (seen same shit in KL) rather it's our dumb rules from Australia being enforced.

Archived