Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Visa options for staying 6 months?

Marauder

Hi,

I am planning(ie. hoping) to stay in TL 6 months this winter. 

I have a ticket for november, plans to get a tourist visa and extend it for 30 days and then do

a visarun for another 60+30 days. Is this tactic no longer feasible? I have stayed less than 180 days

in TL during the last one year period, but according to what i read on the forums it seems 90 days is the "new normal"

and that back to back TV's are no longer issued. Is it still permissible to do a TV+30 days extension, then just do a borderhop

and get 30 days (i get visaexemption on arrival) + 30 day extension for a total of 5 months?

I understand that a multiple entry visa is still possible, however this requires a degree of planning and buying

tickets in advance i don't really want to get into. 

Any information about this is greatly appreciated:)

You should have no problem with 2 SETV's. If you are denied the 2nd SETV which I doubt, you could just do a land border crossing for a 30 day exempt, extend 30 days. You would still be able to do a second land crossing to do the full 6 months as a worst case scenario. 

If, as you say, you don’t want to get a METV then your plan sounds OK.

SETV plus Extension gives you 90 days. (Small chance of being questioned at check-in in Norway if your return flight is 6 months away but should be ok). You can either go to a nearby country to get another visa - I think some consulates are easier than others - which gives you another 60 + 30 days, or re-enter on a visa exempt which gives you 30 + 30.

No guarantees about immigration. The vast majority of people don’t have a problem. Occasionally, they decide to cause difficulties. Flying out and back in probably reduces chances of a problem. Make sure you have cash on you, just in case they ask to see funds (rare). No hard and fast rules but you should be ok.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Marauder, the Stickman Bangkok site has had plenty of articles and info lately regarding visa issues and options both from Stickman and readers so would also be a good reference point of current authority whimsies. Good info already supplied by BM’s too

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

I understand that a multiple entry visa is still possible, however this requires a degree of planning and buying

tickets in advance i don't really want to get into

Also for a SETV you will need to show a ticket. At least I had to 2 weeks ago in the Netherlands. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

@eXplosief : I see from the Thai embassy visa page that you are correct. They now require a ticket out of Thailand (presumably

within the 60 days of the visa) to issue a TV. The requirements just seem to add up with lots of extra costs and time. 

when you want to go to thailand, just buy a GO AND BACK ticket (return ticket for 60 days after you go).

and NOT use it. (price for single or return ticket almost same same).

instead go to immigration, and extend with 30 days.

so now you have 90 days stay in thailand.
exit country (fly or land border), re enter to get again 30 days, and extend with 30 days.

so now you have 90 + 60 days thailand. (when doing the border crossing, for example you can also stay 30 days cambodia)

19 hours ago, Conceicao7 said:

when you want to go to thailand, just buy a GO AND BACK ticket (return ticket for 60 days after you go).

and NOT use it. (price for single or return ticket almost same same).

instead go to immigration, and extend with 30 days.

so now you have 90 days stay in thailand.
exit country (fly or land border), re enter to get again 30 days, and extend with 30 days.

so now you have 90 + 60 days thailand. (when doing the border crossing, for example you can also stay 30 days cambodia)

Thanks, but that isn't very cost effective for me. I usually fly with Norwegian Air, and they sell each way separately. Normally i pay between 200-300 Euro one way. 

I will most likely do a 5 month stay (60+30, then 30 days VoA + 30 extension). This seems to have a good chance of success with the minimum amount of hassle. Now to find a condo which can give me 5 months rent at the 6 month rate:)

but how you will get the 60 day visa,

if now the rule is, you need to show a return ticket already for apply for this SETV ?

or you will show the 5 months later return ticket?

you think they will grant you this visa, if you just say i will do visa runs and extensions?

On 28/08/2019 at 21:01, Conceicao7 said:

but how you will get the 60 day visa,

if now the rule is, you need to show a return ticket already for apply for this SETV ?

or you will show the 5 months later return ticket?

you think they will grant you this visa, if you just say i will do visa runs and extensions?

Just buy a cheapie ticket to Kuala Lumpur for the 59th day, take your Thai sweetie along, spend 2 or 3 days there, come back, and you are OK.

I have a similar, but different issue. I want to spend 6 months in Thailand, but broken up into 2 3 month segments, I want to spend winter and summer in Thailand.

i suspect that is going to be 2 SETVs, each followed by a 30 day stay without a visa.

2 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

I have a similar, but different issue. I want to spend 6 months in Thailand, but broken up into 2 3 month segments, I want to spend winter and summer in Thailand.

i suspect that is going to be 2 SETVs, each followed by a 30 day stay without a visa.

You can extend a SETV for a further 30 days so can stay 90 days (well, 89 really) on the visa.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Just now, davidge said:

You can extend a SETV for a further 30 days so can stay 90 days (well, 89 really) on the visa.

I would prefer to skip Jomtien Immigration, so I would likely just take a short flight to another country, come back, and get the usual 30 days visa waiver. The only wrinkle is that I would do that twice a year.

Archived