Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

webDev

Who was around during the 2008 Recession? How did Pattaya change then?

webDev

Lots of talk of the next recession coming soon. Whether it's 3 months or 18 months away is beside the point to me; it is coming. I'm curious how that'll change Pattaya. I suspect you guys who saw the last one best know what to expect this time around as well.

I assume tourist numbers fell massively in 2008? Or was that not the case?

Lots of bars closing in response?

Overall for selfish mongers was it a net positive or negative for those who could make it out here?

taylor1975

I remember it well (uk). I worked in banking and 3 phonecalls a week from recruiters coaxing me into new jobs. Suddenly they all stopped lol.

Set off a great chain of events and worked out nice for me. Also took a year off and travelled around SE Asia.

FROST MEDIC999

Whatever happens in the West has very or any impact on yours or mine or anyone dealings with the girls like of old you pay a asking price can afford to or not too and either have monies so any recession does not effect you or dont come to Thailand or come moan about costs....you get my drift ....so if you coming it will be same same I been over nearly 40 yes now nowt changes really and if anything gets better more money I have to waste 

Taa_Saparot

Same as It Ever Was 

bkkjunkie

exchange for usd was same - and eur much higher - plenty of visitors - Pattaya was busier than today - 

WalterA
36 minutes ago, webDev said:

Lots of talk of the next recession coming soon. Whether it's 3 months or 18 months away is beside the point to me; it is coming. I'm curious how that'll change Pattaya. I suspect you guys who saw the last one best know what to expect this time around as well.

I assume tourist numbers fell massively in 2008? Or was that not the case?

Lots of bars closing in response?

Overall for selfish mongers was it a net positive or negative for those who could make it out here?

Too busy eating pussy, sorry didn’t have time to collect all the data ...

LeoTex

I remember 2008 well. The exchange rate fell to less than 29 baht to the US $1 early that year.

My 4 trips that year I had to bring more US $100's to maintain my holiday status, that being a 2 1/2 week millionaire.

However it did bounce back the following mid year to about 36 baht to the US $1.

Short lived crisis.

I just looked on TT FB page, today 30.68.

LeoTex

misteregg

I remember all the girls complaining the bars were empty and they never got any drinks, plus all the guys saying that it’s not like it was ten years ago.
I also remember them saying this in 1998 as well.

ZRHuser

I think the protests in Bangkok with the blocking of the Airport in November had a bigger impact then recession. I remember the hotel Pool, beside the shop I was working in, was full with people. A day later all gone and the hotel was empty and stayed that way for some time. Pattaya very very quiet. 

Great time to be an Expat in Thailand in that time 555

Harry Brown

For me Pattaya never changed all that much, There have always been negative influencers that affect tourism from Asian Bird flu, recession, devalue of currencies to the baht, Coups as well as a lot of other internal dynamics. 

It may well have stopped a few from coming over and maybe choosing another destination in lieu of Thailand. Some businesses evolve over that time through necessity , Also there are different demographics of tourists coming to town filling the void, the ones who adapt to this will survive.

On a personal note it never changed a thing for me , I was always working and was able to afford some fun.  Now I am not working it is a little different, I still have a good time but I have to be aware of my situation.

I can only afford to BF Ghosty once a year now. :)

Geordie59

During that recession Thia growth dropped from something like 6-3% and there was little noticeable effect in Pattaya that I remember. 

Unlike the 1997 Asian economic crisis where the Bhat dropped by about 50% and everything seemed dirt cheap for a year or  two. 

geezerrb
44 minutes ago, ZRHuser said:

I think the protests in Bangkok with the blocking of the Airport in November had a bigger impact then recession. I remember the Hotel Pool, beside the shop I was working in, was full with people. A day later all gone and the Hotel was empty and stayed that way for some time. Pattaya very very quiet. 

Great time to be an Expat in Thailand in that time 555

My 1st trip was November 2008 and the airport occupation happened just prior to my flight home, extending my stay by a few days and I am sure at times there were days when I got around 60-70 THB to GBP,

I also got put up at Aiyaria Palace paid by the Thai government together with an "in house" food and drink allowance.

I do not really enjoy being what can be classed as a "living in the past" moaner but every 50THB to my GBP seemed to buy a lot more back then than now hence my 28 trips in 10 years.

23 minutes ago, Harry Brown said:

On a personal note it never changed a thing for me , I was always working and was able to afford some fun.  Now I am not working it is a little different, I still have a good time but I have to be aware of my situation.

Same, same.

First time in 10 years after 28 trips I will not visit Pattaya as well as other SEA destinations, not because of financial reasons solely, (although it would have probably been only one trip this year due to finance).

swedan

I'm swede, I was in Thailand July-August 2008, just before the recession started.

1 SEK = 5,60 baht

Came back in February 2009

1 SEK = 3,70 baht, 

I think it was business as usual. 

Today I get 3,20. I think it's still good value for my bucks.

I'm not ringing the bell anymore....not very often...

SteveB

2008 November I was in town and had the best time in Pattaya ever there a trip to remember. :)

But don’t remember a very bad exchange rate like now and looking at the charts it was around 53 baht to the pound.

wickedd

Pattaya was in its heyday in 2008 so you are asking about how todays 40 year old looked when she was 18.

Dalef65
14 minutes ago, wickedd said:

Pattaya was in its heyday in 2008 so you are asking about how todays 40 year old looked when she was 18.

Some kind of strange mathematics going on there..

geezerrb
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

2008 November I was in town and had the best time in Pattaya ever there a trip to remember. :)

But don’t remember a very bad exchange rate like now and looking at the charts it was around 53 baht to the pound.

I think we may be straying off the point as many posts are in regard to the exchange rate (me included) I believe the OP was asking about the change in "experience" between 2008 and today???

Personally I overall saw no difference, to my memory my mongering carried on in the same way and  Pattaya seemed to "boom", I only started to notice a change around 2014 when some costs seemed to rise.

My personal change was in 2016 when I retired and my income became fixed, it definitely has eroded against BF/ST/LT and other prices but it is still costing more to remain in the UK rather than becoming an ex-pat but commitments here still put a hold on that transition.

pumbaas
3 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

For me Pattaya never changed all that much, There have always been negative influencers that affect tourism from Asian Bird flu, recession, devalue of currencies to the baht, Coups as well as a lot of other internal dynamics. 

It may well have stopped a few from coming over and maybe choosing another destination in lieu of Thailand. Some businesses evolve over that time through necessity , Also there are different demographics of tourists coming to town filling the void, the ones who adapt to this will survive.

I've been coming to pattaya for the last 16 years of course change has taken over the city of pattaya .it's not the sleepy little fishing village it once was ,but I like the change  for one thing the hotels , roads , shopping and nightlife  have only improved over the years. I love Thailand I was hooked 16 years ago  and I'm hooked today ,ok so you have to pay  $ 15 dollars  more  Wow that's 483 tb c'mon guys it's 2019 not  year 2000. 

adammike

It was the beginning in 2008 and the last time any of us got a pay rise.Living in Amsterdam you could furnish your house with what people were dumping in the street when they refurbished every year that stopped dead,I moved in 2010 and the guy who put in my bamboo floor was getting paid €30 a square metre before 2008 I paid him €10,he used to spend the winter in Ibiza and Thailand he was a surly mother.It was the last time Pattaya saw all those plasterers on £1000 a week.

It was years before Pattaya saw the change and it was the subtle every year the high season got shorter, the amount of Europeans visiting dropped,the Russians came and went and came and went.

And finally the end result is the currencys drops a bit and we don't have the cash any more to cope.

Oh and the prices in gogo's and bars the fun ones anyway started to rocket upwards

The first round of the western oriented businesses started to disappear for more hotels and they are now being finished off according to what I read.

localguy

Nope, no big change in 2008. Pattaya survived that recession just fine, and continues to do so now and through the next one.

Bigger for me was the Asian Crash of 1997 when the Thai baht went from the traditional 25:1 level to 50:1 level against USD. Those were happy days, and I was doubly hansum man.

Most memorable 2008 moment for me was similar to a few others here - I managed to fly out of BKK Airport a few hours before the protesters (yellow shirts, right?) closed the Airport in November. It would have been very difficult to explain to the Missus how I ended up being stuck in Bangkok at the time.

fatfrank

In November 2008 I was sat at home because my flight had been cancelled due to the airport occupation, and by the time I arrived in late December the Pound had fallen from nearly 70 Baht to just above 50 Baht but other than my money not going as far I didn't notice any real difference in Pattaya. 

talung66
Posted (edited)

pattaya was at its best any time before the smartphone recessions did not come in to the equation . 

Additionally from reading it look like a case of what flag your flying a small blip but by  2012 the aud was the best performing currency in the word and we were getting 32 its only now were in the shitter.

AUD to THB Chart 20 Years

19 minutes ago, fatfrank said:

my flight had been cancelled due to the airport occupation

i remember that as someone in my doggy hotel couldnt get out as i seen him the day after he was meant to leave  .He ended up getting put up in the hard rock hotel with a 600 a day to voucher included on the thai  government 

Edited by talung66

keepitfun

Golf courses were quiet for a while there.

per anum

The recession heading our way will not be remotely as severe as the one in 2008........2008 was systemic and out of control......the current one is more man-made and changes will be made before things get too tricky.

That said, the thing with a recession is that once it starts, it has a life of its own and will need to play itself out of the trough. Quick policy changes can cushion the fall and fuel the recovery!

kansuwan
8 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

No need for that Harry - there's plenty of alternative and cheaper male crumpet around - with tattoos and without man-bags. You can do much better :GoldenSmile1: