Rikamaroo

Caddy recommendations

The Goose

Okay good summation.  Seems like a good enough setup.  Would obviously want to have the option to take a caddie or not but it's a service that provides a lot of benefits to the actual course for sure.  I'd imagine that divots and ball marks are repaired at a much higher rate by caddies than they would be if it was left to just the golfers themselves.

KanoMike

In my opinion they are pretty much useless. Maybe had 2 or 3 good ones.

maxtroy
21 hours ago, The Goose said:

Okay good summation.  Seems like a good enough setup.  Would obviously want to have the option to take a caddie or not but it's a service that provides a lot of benefits to the actual course for sure.  I'd imagine that divots and ball marks are repaired at a much higher rate by caddies than they would be if it was left to just the golfers themselves.

For the most part they are not caddies but companions  (that barely speak English). They are basically a 30 to 40 %  tax on golf in Thailand that provides employment to the villages surrrounding the golf course and , once they catch on to what an easy go it is people will travel hundreds of kms  to get work as a caddy . Covid contingencies aside , at it's most absurd , you have to pay a caddy to drive your buggy as golfers are prohibited from doing so . There is no qualifications for being a caddy and there is no training provided by the courses .

As a companion their aim is to keep you entertained with phrases they have memorized like "caddy no good , lucky falang ,  young man etc etc. " They don't give you carry distances unless asked and don't be surprised to find a set of hidden bunkers protecting the green until you get there and asking for your sand wedge again .  You may also have to insist they rake the bunker after you step out . 

My best caddy experiences felt like a 4.5 hour hand job with a  very cute young thing with an amazing ass that bent from the waist when picking up my golf ball but there was no happy ending . 

If you get the right one or the right group you can have a laugh with the caddies but you need to dramatically lower your expectations on their ability to provide valuable info to improve your score . With those lower expectations remember to always be kind and respectful to the caddies  unless you get the occassional twat who shows no interest in being there. 

Most golfers buy the caddy a drink  at one of the watering holes on the front nine . Average tip at the end of the round is 300 baht .  People that think 2500 baht is reasonable for  a round of golf will tell you how great caddies are and people who think 1500 baht is more than enough for a round of golf will tell you they wish they had the option when it comes to caddies . The environment today is perfect to institute optional caddies but apparently it is so deeply entrenched in the golf purveyors in Thailand it is still not possible .

My recommendation is  when you get to the golf course be the first one out of the vehicle and point at the cutest caddie to avoid getting a wrinkly grandmother who will embarassingly tell you "I like to fuck " for 18 holes .

The Goose

So these caddies are lined up somewhere visible?  Some have said that usually it's whoever is next in line unless you make a specific request for a caddy in advance.

penboy
37 minutes ago, The Goose said:

So these caddies are lined up somewhere visible?  Some have said that usually it's whoever is next in line unless you make a specific request for a caddy in advance.

Yes, the car/bus gets unloaded at the entrance and they are there waiting. Caddy master might ask you if you are walking or in a buggy. They make a note of your vehicle number so they know where to take it after your round (some guys go straight for shower or can't find the vehicle they were in 5 hours earlier :) ).

Regulars phone ahead to book a caddy. Can make a big difference to your round.

kmrunaway

Are the courses open in Thailand with their normal operating and caddie policies?

I ask because, apparently, the courses in the Philippines have only recently opened with a number of restrictions due to COVID-19.  These restrictions vary among the courses but include things like (i) one golfer to a cart, (ii) golfer must wear mask, (iii) one caddie per three golfers (iv) only  golfer between the ages of 21 and 60 allowed and (v) caddie not allowed to ride in the cart.  I was wondering if any similar changes are planned or occurring in Thailand.

I can’t wait to return to Thailand and the Philippines.  Hopefully in the not too distance future.

ronthebrummie
Posted (edited)

I`ve been playing golf in Thailand for 5 years at various courses, I`m not a good golfer I`m on holiday and want a laugh, got to know some great caddies and had a wonderful time.

Over the years I`ve found the caddies I get on with, speak reasonable English etc and get their Line, next time I play there message them tell when, and they book them so when I arrive I know i`ve got 4 hours of fun.

These girls don`t have a great life, live on the complex in dormitories, little money etc give them some respect and they`ll look after you, i`ve seen the way some right arseholes treat these girls

Edited by ronthebrummie
Not added info

The Goose

Sounds like a good idea Ron.  It seems that the good caddies are few and far between so if you are able to find a good one then you should hold on to them.

valleeblanche

In reply to kmrunaway:

Most courses are open in Thailand - though not all. As stated earlier there are some good offers for those of us lucky enough to live here. Black Mountain in Hua Hin, for example, is half price at the moment and has a good stay and play deal. I will be in Hua Hin in 2 weeks time, though not staying at a course, and plan to make the most of some offers.

As with most things in Thailand you have to have temp check and sign in with phone number at start. Caddie number noted as well. Where I play in Bangkok locker rooms and bar are still closed. Mask needs to be worn at clubhouse. Caddies tend to keep mask and gloves on at all times. Always walk here so unsure about carts.and haven't paid much attention to those in carts but seems to be business as usual ie 1 player/caddie per cart.

kmrunaway

@Valleeblanche

Thanks for the response.  Hopefully I will be able to visit 4th quarter 2020.  Hit’em Straight!

valleeblanche

If I do it'll be a first!! I have a 'controlled fade' lol

The Goose

Sounds more like a 'power fade' vallee.  Let's make sure we set the record straight

valleeblanche

...... or as the caddies say 'Big Banana'. 'Nuff said lol

Kanga
On 05/06/2020 at 09:41, kmrunaway said:

Are the courses open in Thailand with their normal operating and caddie policies?

I ask because, apparently, the courses in the Philippines have only recently opened with a number of restrictions due to COVID-19.  These restrictions vary among the courses but include things like (i) one golfer to a cart, (ii) golfer must wear mask, (iii) one caddie per three golfers (iv) only  golfer between the ages of 21 and 60 allowed and (v) caddie not allowed to ride in the cart.  I was wondering if any similar changes are planned or occurring in Thailand.

I can’t wait to return to Thailand and the Philippines.  Hopefully in the not too distance future.

On 07/06/2020 at 13:20, valleeblanche said:

In reply to kmrunaway:

Most courses are open in Thailand - though not all. As stated earlier there are some good offers for those of us lucky enough to live here. Black Mountain in Hua Hin, for example, is half price at the moment and has a good stay and play deal. I will be in Hua Hin in 2 weeks time, though not staying at a course, and plan to make the most of some offers.

As with most things in Thailand you have to have temp check and sign in with phone number at start. Caddie number noted as well. Where I play in Bangkok locker rooms and bar are still closed. Mask needs to be worn at clubhouse. Caddies tend to keep mask and gloves on at all times. Always walk here so unsure about carts.and haven't paid much attention to those in carts but seems to be business as usual ie 1 player/caddie per cart.

Are the locker rooms open in Bangkok now? BM sounds a good deal.

Nearly all the courses around Pattaya open.

Club houses or at least locker rooms and showers open for last 10 days or so. Sign in, temperature check at all courses. Masks worn in sight of club house but whilst playing most caddies don't have an issue f you remove.

Many carts have plastic dividers but yes one caddie and player per cart.

Restrictions gradually getting lessened....Pattana currently strictest I have experienced but also only 700 baht green fee..... 

For those on the ground who have not checked -

Greenwood Monday sports day GF 600

Pattavia 600 GF weekday

Eastern Star coupons GF 550 weekday 

Khao Kheow GF 750 weekday

Good PSC deals on Burapha and Lam Chebang for those who must have a cart....... :wink:

The Goose

Those seem like some extremely reasonable rates indeed.  Must be a great time to be playing with I assume a less crowded course overall as well?

valleeblanche

Locker rooms were not open at the course I play on in Bangkok (Unico Grande) last Tuesday.I would imagine opening this week. Glad to hear that they open are in Patts - I'll be down there start of July. Anyone know if Emerald and Plutalung are open yet?

What is Eastern Star like? Haven't played there.

Black Mountain Hua Hin advert on golf channel 50% off - 1950baht. I will be losing a few balls there the week after next at a much cheaper rate than last time I played.

LOTTELLEE WINNA
Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2020 at 07:37, The Goose said:

Better repair of divots and pitch-marks by use of caddies? ....well it depends. On the better courses the answer is yes - good caddy training and supervision can really make a big difference in terms of their performance. However on many courses the caddies add virtually no value whatsoever - simply a job creation scheme and a ‘tax’ paid by all of us every time we tee off.

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

Kanga
On 14/06/2020 at 20:31, valleeblanche said:

What is Eastern Star like? Haven't played there.

Greens have been in excellent condition (and very fast). New locker rooms and showers and apparently they were offering 300 baht green fee if you had your passport - not sure how long that offer will last however.

Challenging course as lots of water. 

Geordie59

I have a few regulars that I book at various courses. 

No way am I posting their names on here though. They'd be fully booked and I'd have to look for new ones that suit me.

Rikamaroo

Some of the caddies are excellent golfers themselves and can be very helpful. My mate has a caddie at Pheonix who plays off 7 handicap.

New caddies at Siam old course are trained by senior caddies who also play golf.  They often go out in the late afternoon for 9 holes with a newbie caddie to show them the ropes.

Good caddies make a difference, especially on the greens where grain is as big an influence on putts as slope.

If you find a good caddie please share details on this thread. Double points if she is a babe!

The Goose

Yeah for sure.  I have always found that the better caddies have mostly been good players themselves

valleeblanche

Thanks Kanga for Eastern Star info. Any caddy recommendation?

sulu

From what I hear, Thai golf is open and picking up a little bit but way below anything resembling even a normal Summer. Not surprising with no tourists.

For anybody playing Rayong Green Valley, St Andrews, or Silky Oak, "Rose" (mentioned earlier on this thread) has been working only about 2 days a week in a rotation with most of the other caddies. All 3 courses come from the same clubhouse.

However, if you call the day before you play and ask for a specific caddie that adds to the number of workdays, and she would get more days of work and, of course, like everybody else, needs the work/$$$.

I wouldn't even suggest this if she wasn't a good caddie (and no, I've never seen her "on the side" LOL), but she IS a really good caddie and a fun, good natured, person.

If you like, tell her "Alan" suggested her. Or not. Nothing in it for me.