Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Caddy recommendations

Rikamaroo

9 minutes ago, maxtroy said:

I quietly tell the caddie master no men and no old ladies . It is , after all , a charity program so we should be able to choose which charity we prefer . I golf to enjoy the day and not be saddled  with an unappealing companion . Short of making caddies optional they should staff golf courses like any other entertainment venue and  filter out the uncomely .

I agree since you are paying you should have some choice in the matter.  And why wouldn't one prefer a cute girl to an old crone?  But it isn't a charity program.  Part of their job is to make sure the golfers don't tear up the course and keep pace.  Sadly some golfers don't know the etiquette of the game and need a chaperone.  Caddies fill that role.

BTW some of the best caddies I've had were men or old ladies.  Since I'm not looking for a grab and tickle on the golf course I let them assign me whoever is up next.  If they aren't very good, no worry.  I've been playing golf long enough to read my own greens and figure out my own distances.

All I demand from the caddy is, stand still and be quiet when I'm hitting or putting.  Fill divots.  Rake bunker.  Get ball out of hole.  Be happy.  Anything more is a bonus.  

• Like 4

On 26/08/2019 at 08:15, farcanal said:

When you book to play Emerald, ask for 165, name Aod.

Lots of fun, pretty good English and if you be nice and play your cards right she may even come back to your room for the night.

Don't push it, just be pleasant, chuck in a few compliments and let nature take it's course.

You won't be disappointed. I usually pay about 2000 for the night.

I will keep,this in mind back over in November. Not sure of where golf club is playing but it’s emerald I will book 165. 

Will be a gentleman as always,

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 26/08/2019 at 11:51, farcanal said:

Did not know that. I've done 20 golf trips to Patts so now I've got a nice selection of my favourites.

Having said that, I make sure all of my group take whatever caddie is given to them when we decide to take "pot luck" with our caddies. I totally disagree with telling a caddie "sorry, I don't want you". A mate of mine did that once and the poor girl was absolutely shattered. Probably didn't eat that day.

Yeah that’s it cool, normally just take whoever grabs my bag from the van. However always get GiF at green valley,another caddy Rose gets her booked for me.

On 27/08/2019 at 02:39, sulu said:

At Green Valley, "Rose", #29 IIRC. Very popular and often booked so you'd have to call ahead to see if she's available.

Cute as a button and a VERY good caddie. Once the 2 of you vibe you'll knock it a long putt and she'll tell you "Accident". LMAO

As far as apre' golf I have no idea but I don't know of anybody who's "taken her home".

Yeah Rose is very popular and plays herself also. She ended up in my group on a Monday with Golf Club in LK,she is just a beginner but keen. Had her caddy for me once and she is good fun and a good caddy.

As she is so popular I dont even try and get her but her pal GIF is excellent.

Dont know about anything afterwards but I sincerely doubt it and wouldn’t even think about it myself as I play the course frequently and would just cause issues if revoked. A really nice girl.

I had a caddy recommend to me by a guy in the bar back in May 2017 at Phoniex. Now he used to go with the girl and said she was an excellent golfer herself and a superb caddy. 

She was the best caddy I have ever come across,knew the course so well and once she seen after a hole I was a decent golf (play off 6) she relaxed and was so precise in where to hit the ball on the green. As in don’t miss left or land short of flag.

played the round of my life and shot -1 under par, won 2k off my pal and gave her half as a tip as she was so good(normally tip 400/500 and 50 for a birdie,remember I’m a 2 week “millionaire”)l. She was such fun that she said she wasn’t working next day and she would be in beer garden for a beer with her pal. So my pal and I went down and enjoyed a few beers with her and her pal. No fun and game expected or mentioned just a right good chilled night having some beers. 

Havant been back to Phoenix in all my trips seems the gold club in LK won’t go as it’s over run with Japanese and are letting 5-6 balls out. 

For the love of me I can’t remember her name or number.

just a story to show how having a good caddy can make an enjoyably round even more so.

@farcanal

@farcanalcan you send me a snap,of your caddy from emerald my pal is out there on Wednesday.

Edited by Joethescot
  • Like 2

I agree since you are paying you should have some choice in the matter.  And why wouldn't one prefer a cute girl to an old crone?  But it isn't a charity program.  Part of their job is to make sure the golfers don't tear up the course and keep pace.  Sadly some golfers don't know the etiquette of the game and need a chaperone.  Caddies fill that role.
BTW some of the best caddies I've had were men or old ladies.  Since I'm not looking for a grab and tickle on the golf course I let them assign me whoever is up next.  If they aren't very good, no worry.  I've been playing golf long enough to read my own greens and figure out my own distances.
All I demand from the caddy is, stand still and be quiet when I'm hitting or putting.  Fill divots.  Rake bunker.  Get ball out of hole.  Be happy.  Anything more is a bonus.  

I agree with@maxtroy it is a form of charity. It's compulsory to have one and some older great grand mothers I've had drag their arse round 100 yards behind me slowing down the game. They add no value so you are just giving them money which is charity in my view. People have different views of course

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joethescot said:

I had a caddy recommend to me by a guy in the bar back in May 2017 at Phoniex. Now he used to go with the girl and said she was an excellent golfer herself and a superb caddy. 

She was the best caddy I have ever come across,knew the course so well and once she seen after a hole I was a decent golf (play off 6) she relaxed and was so precise in where to hit the ball on the green. As in don’t miss left or land short of flag.

played the round of my life and shot -1 under par, won 2k off my pal and gave her half as a tip as she was so good(normally tip 400/500 and 50 for a birdie,remember I’m a 2 week “millionaire”)l. She was such fun that she said she wasn’t working next day and she would be in beer garden for a beer with her pal. So my pal and I went down and enjoyed a few beers with her and her pal. No fun and game expected or mentioned just a right good chilled night having some beers. 

Havant been back to Phoenix in all my trips seems the gold club in LK won’t go as it’s over run with Japanese and are letting 5-6 balls out. 

just a story to show how having a good caddy can make an enjoyably round even more so.

@farcanal

@farcanalcan you send me a snap,of your caddy from emerald my pal is out there on Wednesday.

PM sent...

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

13 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

I agree with@maxtroy it is a form of charity. It's compulsory to have one and some older great grand mothers I've had drag their arse round 100 yards behind me slowing down the game. They add no value so you are just giving them money which is charity in my view. People have different views of course

A bad caddy is just that.  Bad.  We just disagree on the charity aspect.  Though there is some part of that true in many jobs in Thailand.  Like the guy who salutes you are you drive into the course.  kinda not a critical position.  While some caddies are useless the course would have more  ball marks on greens and unraked bunkers without them.  I figure it is a part of the green fee.

On 02/09/2019 at 04:48, Joethescot said:

@farcanal

Hey joe, I'd love to hear how your mate goes with Aod at Emerald

Cheers

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

For most expats, caddies are quite simply a ‘tax on golf’. For the most part a real waste of space, and can end up making golf too expensive for expats on a budget. For a holiday-maker of course it’s entirely different, money isn’t such a big deal and having the novelty of a caddy on an unfamiliar course can add to the enjoyment.

Compulsory caddies also help to price working class young Thai kids out of the game.

Been playing in Australia and NZ every Saturday and Sunday since I left LoS to start my recent consultancy assignment. Do I wish I had a caddy with me?...hell no.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

For most expats, caddies are quite simply a ‘tax on golf’. For the most part a real waste of space, and can end up making golf too expensive for expats on a budget. For a holiday-maker of course it’s entirely different, money isn’t such a big deal and having the novelty of a caddy on an unfamiliar course can add to the enjoyment.

Compulsory caddies also help to price working class young Thai kids out of the game.

Been playing in Australia and NZ every Saturday and Sunday since I left LoS to start my recent consultancy assignment. Do I wish I had a caddy with me?...hell no.

The comment about caddy ’s being a tax on expats and stopping young  Thai kids from playing I have to agree with 100%.

Here in Scotland  my gps watch is my caddy,it’s good walking the fairways just yourself and pals chatting and laughing at bad shots and calling good shots lucky. I have never though oh dam I wish I had a caddy with me who let’s be honest wouldn't provide any great insight on courses we have played plenty of times. 

Personally as a tourist who golfs every other day in Pattaya I find the first round actually difficult with a group of caddies and in a cart (lazy and a two week millionaire) for the following reasons..

1-I feel the game becomes hurried and you don’t have that rime walking to your ball,it seems it’s the hit the ball and the race up the fairway and hit it again. We aren’t hurried but it feels so to me to begin with.

2- I feel at times you don’t focus as much, they tell you distance,line, hazards,wind and that leaves very little left to actually focus on but to hit the ball. I find myself only asking for putt lines if I’m unsure. 

3- Now most caddy’s are on point however it can be off putting when they sometimes walk away of the green to the cart while your trying to putt,this tends to be someone else’s caddy. I have never complained or said stand still as well I wouldn’t want the poor girl losing face with the other caddies. So just let it go.

4- I always offer a drink or a snack to the caddy at each water stop, what annoys me is they never seem to drink them. Now I’m sure they take it back and get the cash, this annoys me as I’m a good tipper and it’s just like getting someone a drink at a bar as it’s the right thing to do and them not drinking it but taking the money.

5- going from three people on a hole or four to eight doesn’t help that bit of focus needed at times.

These are very small things and as I said I love and always look forward to my golf in Thailand and understand it’s not my country so I need to go with the flow. I also learn to deal with them after my first round or two each trip.

I have been lucky to have had numerous good caddy’s who do add some laughs, skill in their job and enjoyment to my days. 

However I do believe the need to have a caddy is always going to keep the game with in the boundaries of holiday makers, expats who have money and hi so Thais. This game will never grown in these circumstances and when we are all gone due to poor exchange as the doomsayers tell,me no one will be on the courses.

Edited by Joethescot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2019 at 16:16, Joethescot said:

The comment about caddy ’s being a tax on expats and stopping young  Thai kids from playing I have to agree with 100%.

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Many other reasons stopping young Thai kids but the specific additional cost of a caddie I would think is well down the list. For Hi So's as you say not an issue but with the current and growing wealth inequality I don't think your average young Thai would even want to, let alone be able to afford, to pay for lessons.

Just a couple of other (lighthearted) observations on your list -

actually difficult with a group of caddies and in a cart (lazy........

I feel the game becomes hurried and you don’t have that rime walking to your ball

You could perhaps force yourself to be less lazy and walk? :D

However it pisses me off if they are so slow that you are always waiting for them - and I walk most of the time.

I always offer a drink or a snack to the caddy at each water stop, what annoys me is they never seem to drink them

I stopped buying drinks for caddies some time ago or at worst once per round. Yes they often sell back to the course but they don't obviously get back what you paid for it. if you give a fair tip then it is not necessary and I have never had any push back from my regular caddies.

• Like 1

Hello Boys,

Going to share this treasure with you all.  My first trip is going to be this November.  I mentioned to a frequent traveler buddy I always wanted to play golf with some hot caddies even though my golf game is worth shit.

I don’t know how good this golf course is but after seeing his secret stash of photos of a few caddies in their undies.  I’m sure some of us want to take a caddie home too.

http://www.panyagolf.com/en/pretty-caddies-2/

Wilson5206 on Bangkok Addicts

Virgin Trip November 15th, 2019 to November 24th, 2019.

It's not a bad course, reasonably close to airport, but don't go at weekends. 5 or 6 hour rounds. These are "umbrella" caddies. So you still have a normal caddy as well, who usually weren't shabby either and can be wined and dined. Haven't been for a few years so maybe some changes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2019 at 21:31, Joethescot said:

I will keep,this in mind back over in November. Not sure of where golf club is playing but it’s emerald I will book 165. 

Will be a gentleman as always,

Did you get a chance to play and did 165 caddie for you. If so could you share your views on her.

2 hours ago, Rikamaroo said:

Did you get a chance to play and did 165 caddie for you. If so could you share your views on her.

I didn’t golf at all, my knee hadn’t recovered enough I’m afraid

• Sad 1

On 12/12/2019 at 04:59, Joethescot said:

I didn’t golf at all, my knee hadn’t recovered enough I’m afraid

Sorry to hear your not golfing mate...hope your holiday is good otherwise.

Can anyone recommend a caddie for Greenwood, Burapha or Pattana.  Hoping to be playing there again in March. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

my approach to a caddy,

get the one as you hop out of the bus.... on one condition... they can speak reasonable english.

i've been playing golf ion LOS for about 10 years and that seems the most important .

you gotta understand them and they gotta understand you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/09/2019 at 14:06, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Best caddy in Pattaya (IMHO) is a dude, name ‘Boy’. Single figure golfer himself, brilliant caddy is/was at Burapha.

I have to agree.  He's caddied for me and for my wife.  He was great with her.  Very patient and a great sense of humour 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry gents but relatively new here and have never played golf in Thailand before. 

So if I understand correctly caddies are compulsory but you are given the choice to walk or ride?  I've never heard of a distinct caddie when someone is riding in a cary unless it's a forecaddie for the group.

Also I have experience as both a caddie when I was young and as a long time golfer in the US.  Do caddies in Thailand have the same roles as they would in America?

I appreciate the response and anything else you could add.  Thanks

Caddies are compulsory at all the golf courses I have played on in Thailand ( about 12). I think I read that there are a couple where this is not so but I can't remember where (or if!) I read that.

As previous members have said the caddies do vary widely in their ability (and ball spotting). For the most part I tend to read my own putts but will sometimes ask for a distance, not to the centre of the green, but, maybe, to carry a certain bunker or, as often in Thailand, a water feature. i will usually buy them a couple of drinks  per round.

As well as the caddy fee there is also an expectation of a caddy tip. If only playing 9 , as I regularly do in Bangkok, I would tip 300. For 18 holes 500 baht. Some courses offer suggestions on the 'accepted tip'

Walking or cart is optional. On most courses, given the heat/humidity I take a cart if playing 36 holes in the day. I will sometimes 'cart' for 18 holes but often walk some of the holes as this, to me, is part of the enjoyment. If I am walking i will usually up the tip for the caddie. Not a problem as cart hires are around the 6-800 mark.

The costs do mount up in Thailand - but there are some good deals to be had over the next month or so!!

That's very good info Ballee.  I can see what people mean when they say when the costs get a little out of control.

Seems like it would be very difficult for a caddie to keep up with a player that is in a cart.  I'm assuming they would have to forecaddie a bunch of holes during the round in order to make this happen

27 minutes ago, The Goose said:

That's very good info Ballee.  I can see what people mean when they say when the costs get a little out of control.

Seems like it would be very difficult for a caddie to keep up with a player that is in a cart.  I'm assuming they would have to forecaddie a bunch of holes during the round in order to make this happen

They might stand on the back where the clubs are kept. Usually they drive, but I'm not sure what is happening with social distancing now.

2 hours ago, The Goose said:

The caddie rides or walks with the player.

Most older (40+ ?) tourists ride. Younger tourists may walk. Expats often walk,,,,,,,, if they can.

The greens fees are lower in the Summer but it's still expensive overall for the tourists. Greens fees can be as low as $25 USD (800 Baht). More often they're around $50-$60 USD. Not so bad, yes ?

But here in the States you have your own car, you ride to the course, pay your greens fee and that's it.

In Pattaya, as a tourist, you generally play with a bar and costs are roughly as follows.....

Transportation - ~350 Baht

Greens fee - 1400-2200 Baht (Most courses)

Caddy - ~350 Baht

Caddy tip - ~300-500 Baht

Comp Fee - ~200 Baht (Optional)

Total - often somewhere in the 2500-3200 Baht range

Edited by sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou