Jump to content
English rose

internet speed

Recommended Posts

English rose

Hi guys, I am not at all tech savvy with this stuff so I need some help....I am streaming in the bar with 200 mbps and get a lot of stop/starting and buffering, would this stop with a speed of 500 mbps, my provider is TOT, I pay 750 for the 200 tb, 500 would cost me 1200 tb, or could someone suggest a better provider.

 

Thanks in advance

Alan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahoy

CAT is good. You will not get better streaming going to 600, 200 is already good. It is likely the server is the problem. You should be using a fiber connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Man7

Could also be a wifi issue. Most of the wifi built into the modems is pretty shitty. Download a wifi speed test app and test. This will show you the speed and stability of the wifi connection between your device (phone, tablet etc) and your router.

Also make sure your router has a good line of site and is not behind or blocked by things.

What type of device are you using? What type of router?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose

Its a reasonably new router and it is connected directly via 20mts of ethernet cable so i doubt think obstruction is a problem.

Another issue i guess is that i have 5 routers..office, bar and 1 on each floor.

1566195707437879497913.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief

It's not really clear what you are trying to do. 

Are you streaming from your bar, like a webcam, or are you streaming internet content to screens in your bar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
forcebwithu
26 minutes ago, English rose said:

Its a reasonably new router and it is connected directly via 20mts of ethernet cable so i doubt think obstruction is a problem.

Another issue i guess is that i have 5 routers..office, bar and 1 on each floor.

That's probably the reason right there, you're sharing your connection with multiple other users. If you and they are all streaming porn at the same time, you're going to run into buffering issues. 4G service is pretty good now. Suggest getting a good data plan for your phone and then using your phone as a hotspot for your own personal internet connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahoy
31 minutes ago, English rose said:

Its a reasonably new router and it is connected directly via 20mts of ethernet cable so i doubt think obstruction is a problem.

20 metres from router to an android box? You probably also want to upgrade to cat 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellforce

- First go to https://www.speedtest.net/

and tell us what is your real upload speed ? (try do to 2 tests: one to one server in Bangkok and another to the country where your streaming server is located)

- Don't forget that if your camera is near to your WIFI router (a few meter without obstacles), you'll have a better speed with 5GHz rather than 2,4GHz

- As someone asked you before, how do you stream ? The server maybe is the issue, not your connection. Have you tried to stream on Youtube, Twitch or Mixer ?

- True has a new promotion 1,000 mbps for 900 bahts/month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose
2 hours ago, eXplosief said:

It's not really clear what you are trying to do. 

Are you streaming from your bar, like a webcam, or are you streaming internet content to screens in your bar?

Yes..streaming to 2 tvs for sport..the router shows 2 ethernet cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

That's probably the reason right there, you're sharing your connection with multiple other users. If you and they are all streaming porn at the same time, you're going to run into buffering issues. 4G service is pretty good now. Suggest getting a good data plan for your phone and then using your phone as a hotspot for your own personal internet connection.

Each room would only need 10 mbps (which i have) for sufficient porn watching..as regards the phone if i was to leave the bar then no hotspot.

2 hours ago, Kahoy said:

20 metres from router to an android box? You probably also want to upgrade to cat 6.

My initial thought was too long a cable so i checked..90-100 mts wouldnt be a problem apparently

47 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

- First go to https://www.speedtest.net/

and tell us what is your real upload speed ? (try do to 2 tests: one to one server in Bangkok and another to the country where your streaming server is located)

- Don't forget that if your camera is near to your WIFI router (a few meter without obstacles), you'll have a better speed with 5GHz rather than 2,4GHz

- As someone asked you before, how do you stream ? The server maybe is the issue, not your connection. Have you tried to stream on Youtube, Twitch or Mixer ?

- True has a new promotion 1,000 mbps for 900 bahts/month

Yeah..i spotted the true package, mught have a look at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellforce
23 minutes ago, English rose said:

Yes..streaming to 2 tvs for sport..the router shows 2 ethernet cables.

I think I start to understand: are you using your WIFI router as a "hub" ?

spacer.png

 

1 Ethernet IN => 2 Ethernet out for your both TV's ?

You internet speed (200 mbps) should be more than enough. Ethernet speed is 1 Gbps, 2TV HD streaming is 40 mbps X 2 = 80 mbps < 200mbps

I think you don't need a new provider but a technician.

If you want to do it by yourself, use a laptop and do 3 test netspeed at https://www.speedtest.net/

1 - Plug your laptop to the 20 meters cable => test netspeed

2  - Plug your laptop to the ethernet cable of TV1 => test netspeed

3  - Plug your laptop to the ethernet cable of TV2 => test netspeed

What are the 3 results, the 3 download speeds ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
1 hour ago, English rose said:

Yes..streaming to 2 tvs for sport..the router shows 2 ethernet cables.

Ok. A few more questions then. 

  • Is it consistent during the day? Could it be that others using the same connection at times use too much of the bandwidth?
  • What server are you streaming from? Where is that located? Use speedtest to a server in the same country as others described above. If you can find a speedtest server hosted at the same hosting provider it would give the best test results. 
  • Do you also have buffering issues looking at YouTube videos? High quality videos would be best for testing. Run a different video on each TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellforce

@eXplosief

As you first I was thinking he was streaming some videos from his bar, but all he wants to do is to "extend" internet to his 2 sport TVs. Today he's using ethernet cables and use his wifi router as a hub.... wellcome to the 90's :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
3 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

@eXplosief

As you first I was thinking he was streaming some videos from his bar, but all he wants to do is to "extend" internet to his 2 sport TVs. Today he's using ethernet cables and use his wifi router as a hub.... wellcome to the 90's :)

 

Well most people on PA seem to agree that everything was better in pattaya before. 

So a 90's setup as you call it might be better.  :P

Using, good quality cables, still beats wireless in most cases. If the setup using his wireless router is the best solution I can't tell without knowing a lot more details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellforce
2 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

Using, good quality cables, still beats wireless in most cases.

Except if you are using ethernet cables from the 90's @10mbps.

Not all Ethernet cables are equal ! :)

That's why I was asking the OP to use a laptop to run some netspeed with those cables.

But if it was my home/bar I would prefer to use the 5GHz wifi of my router (all smart TVs have wifi except.. the TVs from the 90's).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
4 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Except if you are using ethernet cables from the 90's @10mbps.

Not all Ethernet cables are equal ! 

That's why I said good quality cables. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose
22 hours ago, Spellforce said:

I think I start to understand: are you using your WIFI router as a "hub" ?

spacer.png

 

1 Ethernet IN => 2 Ethernet out for your both TV's ?

You internet speed (200 mbps) should be more than enough. Ethernet speed is 1 Gbps, 2TV HD streaming is 40 mbps X 2 = 80 mbps < 200mbps

I think you don't need a new provider but a technician.

If you want to do it by yourself, use a laptop and do 3 test netspeed at https://www.speedtest.net/

1 - Plug your laptop to the 20 meters cable => test netspeed

2  - Plug your laptop to the ethernet cable of TV1 => test netspeed

3  - Plug your laptop to the ethernet cable of TV2 => test netspeed

What are the 3 results, the 3 download speeds ?

 

 

i have been trying to get the tech guy here but he is dragging his feet.

as regards the speed i can do a speed test actually on my tv with the androids, i get between 90-150mbps, plenty i feel to watch sport, but no, im afraid you lost me on your other points.

22 hours ago, eXplosief said:

Ok. A few more questions then. 

  • Is it consistent during the day? Could it be that others using the same connection at times use too much of the bandwidth?
  • What server are you streaming from? Where is that located? Use speedtest to a server in the same country as others described above. If you can find a speedtest server hosted at the same hosting provider it would give the best test results. 
  • Do you also have buffering issues looking at YouTube videos? High quality videos would be best for testing. Run a different video on each TV. 

the problem is only with the sports programmes day or night, movies have no problem and as with spellforce you have lost me with your speedtest points

22 hours ago, Spellforce said:

@eXplosief

As you first I was thinking he was streaming some videos from his bar, but all he wants to do is to "extend" internet to his 2 sport TVs. Today he's using ethernet cables and use his wifi router as a hub.... wellcome to the 90's :)

 

yes, my intension is to have a good stream from my androids, working off the wifi was shit and a technician said to use ethernet for a better feed from my router to each android.

21 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Except if you are using ethernet cables from the 90's @10mbps.

Not all Ethernet cables are equal ! :)

That's why I was asking the OP to use a laptop to run some netspeed with those cables.

But if it was my home/bar I would prefer to use the 5GHz wifi of my router (all smart TVs have wifi except.. the TVs from the 90's).

 

Except if you are using ethernet cables from the 90's @10mbps.

 

So there are different quality ethernets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
3 minutes ago, English rose said:

the problem is only with the sports programmes day or night, movies have no problem

I am afraid that the problem is not really on your side. Sounds like a problem with the server you're streaming from, or the connection from that server to Thailand.

Any other services offering the channels you need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellforce
12 minutes ago, English rose said:

as regards the speed i can do a speed test actually on my tv with the androids, i get between 90-150mbps

That's enough to watch movies/sport in 4k.

The issue must be your sport chanel provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose
7 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

I am afraid that the problem is not really on your side. Sounds like a problem with the server you're streaming from, or the connection from that server to Thailand.

Any other services offering the channels you need?

i have just been looking up ethernet cables and it seems there are more than a few to choose from and i'm sure the one i have is at the shitty end, i just thought a cable was a cable..i actually understand a little bit more about them and cat cables seem to be my next approach to correcting the problem, as i am 20 mts away does anyone know where i can get cat cables made to measure? i got the one i have from a computer shop in tukcom.

 

thanks again for all the replies.

Alan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
forcebwithu

Have a look at Wattana on Klang, directly across from Foodland. They should have cat 6 cables, and they should be able to make them to the length you need. If not, Lazada would be another source for bulk cat 6 cable. I could then help you out with connectors and crimping tool as that is one the items I brought with me when I made the move here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose
1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

Have a look at Wattana on Klang, directly across from Foodland. They should have cat 6 cables, and they should be able to make them to the length you need. If not, Lazada would be another source for bulk cat 6 cable. I could then help you out with connectors and crimping tool as that is one the items I brought with me when I made the move here.

thanks for the information and the offer of your help, i'll look around and if i can't get them as a finished product i'll take you up on it.

Cheers

Alan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
English rose

after closer inspection of the cable, i have cat5e...so now my next step is to change provider.

Alan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahoy
9 minutes ago, English rose said:

after closer inspection of the cable, i have cat5e...so now my next step is to change provider.

Alan.

Try CAT. Always same day service and I never see interruptions. 2,500 for 50/25 MB/s fibre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief

If you're going to change provider, I suggest you find someone preferably in your area that already uses this provider and test first. 

My knowledge of providers in Thailand is pretty outdated, but a few years ago CAT was indeed one of the providers that offered the best connectivity to US based servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.