Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Train to Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai

javasumatra

There's a group of about 10 of us that are heading up to a wedding in Phitsanulok and then on to Chiang Mai in November. I've been looking at travel options I think we might all take the number 7 train from Hua Lamphong to Phitsanulok, stay there a few days and then get the train up to Chiang Mai for a week and then fly back into Swampy and home.

Does anyone know the best way of booking these tickets please?

Thanks,

I have been looking at the option of taking the train maybe 8 years ago. It should be an experience. 

At that time it was a rather last minute plan. I found it not too easy to get a ticket. Sold out or only available at the Bangkok train station. 

You might want to try using a travel agent. 

I've done an overnighter from hua lamphong to chiang mai in a sleeper carriage. That was an experience!

I recall i booked my ticket the day before at the station. A lovely tourist helper lady at the station gave me her phone number :wub: - that never happens at manchester picadilly 555

4 hours ago, eXplosief said:

I have been looking at the option of taking the train maybe 8 years ago. It should be an experience. 

At that time it was a rather last minute plan. I found it not too easy to get a ticket. Sold out or only available at the Bangkok train station. 

You might want to try using a travel agent. 

I took the train from Chiang Mai back to Bangkok about 3 years ago. It was an overnight train. I too had never taken a train ride this long, and thought it would be an experience, sort of like the movie "The Darjeeling limited", complete with a pretty and willing Indian/Thai girl to screw. 

The train departed at 5 pm from Chiang Mai and arrived very early in the morning at Bangkok. You can see the country side pass by, it's just all greenery (trees, bushes, grass) which is fun for about 10 minutes. And then it got dark, so there is nothing to see. 

I paid for a sleeper cabin all to myself, cost was something like 1900 b IIRC. It came with its own tiny ensuite washroom. There were plenty of empty seats on that train, so if you really want to save money, you can book a cheap seat for around 400 b, and chances are you can lay across the whole bench. 

It's not a modern high speed train, so the train sways from side to side often. I found it impossible to get any sleep. Overall it was a dud of an experience, for me anyway. 

Thanks for all the advice.

We're really doing the trip this way for safety and convenience rather than a YOLO experience. There is no direct flight from PHS to CNX, you have to go via DMK - screw that.

I don't like taking long bus journeys on Thai roads so we are left with the train.

I did a similar itinerary a while back. We flew from Don Muang to Phitsanulok, stayed there a few days, then took the train to Chiang Mai. We all found the train ride interesting enough but agreed that just doing it on the second leg was more than enough and we were glad we flew on the first (longer) leg.

Archived