Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

TommyPattaya

Tipping waitresses at beer bars

bukone
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TommyPattaya said:

I know I know, another tipping thread. But this one may be slightly different...

Last summer I was at the Red Cat Bar on Beach Road and Soi 8 watching the sun set and ordered a beer. Saturday or Sunday evening. I want to say the beer was 60b (happy hour maybe?) so I gave the waitress 80b (33% tip) and thought it was a done deal.

An older Australian bloke behind me piped up and said, "you need to tip her more." I blinked twice, and told him that I tipped her a third of the price of the beer. He said, "I know but it means more to her than it does to you." I shrugged my shoulders, because the beer was already super cheap and gave her maybe another 20b to make it an even 100b for the beer. Still a third of the price of a pint on the US west coast, before tip.

A couple of things: 1) what do y'all tip (if anything) for super cheap, 60b beer? 2) what kind of a patron calls out another patron for not tipping enough?

I would have told him to fuck off you old cunt, you tip what you want don’t tell me what to tip, fucking hide of some cunts is ridiculous.

Edited by bukone

Mr Wombat
4 hours ago, apu nahasapeemapetilon said:

20bt for a 60bt beer is more than decent. It's not customary to tip in most of the Asian countries but it's excepted from a tourist so anything above 30% is enough. In countries like Australia tipping is a social contract but not in Asia. Most of the locals don't tip at all.

I dont think you have ever been to australia. We only tip for good service. No obligation here to tip at all.

farangliam

i tip 20 bhat everytime I get a beer, mr tip her more, has probably bought one beer in nearly 2 hours. I'd sink 4/5 in that time(i'm not a quick drinker) so she'd have 80-100 bhat out of me.

apu nahasapeemapetilon

Did not know that. I always thought tipping in countries like USA, England, Australia is customary. Sorry my bad. 

Ru4Real
6 hours ago, bg532002 said:

I am Australian and I would not have hesitated in telling the advise giver to mind his own fucking business.

^ fixed to be more colloquially accurate

Ru4Real
2 minutes ago, apu nahasapeemapetilon said:

I always thought tipping in countries like USA, England, Australia is customary.

The rest of us tip where it's warranted, not because employers don't pay a living wage.

Dazza118

I sometimes give a tip but sometimes I'll put the whole thing in :P

Assman80

Take a look at the exchange rates. Being on holiday is a lot different than being an expat on a fixed retirement income. I generally give 20b for every 500b of the bill. So 1k bill will get them 40b and they are more than happy to receive that. I have friends that give nothing and it has no affect on their status in the bar. Poor service and they get nothing. As an American, I consider the non tipping culture one of the perks of living here. 

bukone
52 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

I dont think you have ever been to australia. We only tip for good service. No obligation here to tip at all.

I don’t recall the last time I tipped someone in Australia, especially taxis 555 

mmaaarrrkkk
44 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

The rest of us tip where it's warranted, not because employers don't pay a living wage.

here we go again..............

mmaaarrrkkk
1 hour ago, Somchai1 said:

As an aside to this ....when I’m in a Bar in BKK and less so recently in Patts, if there are two guys chatting away on the next table, putting the world to rights and generally being ‘Know-All’s’ they are invariably Aussies.....I think Aussies are generally more forthright and gregarious as a nation so maybe that comes out in their conversations. Did they discover Thailand before us British/Irish patrons for holidays?. I remember a few back in the 90’s and a strong Scandinavian presence in  Patts. While I’m at the racial stereotyping.....why is it that if you spot a farang out of his head, asleep or talking to himself in a drunken stupor on the steps of a 7/11 they are nearly always Scandinavian....

yeah and and and the Chinese discovered the Americas NOT Columbus!

George1234
7 hours ago, TommyPattaya said:

An older Australian bloke behind me piped up and said, "you need to tip her more." 

Apparently, when he was being born a senior doctor walked past with some junior doctors, he stopped, pointed and said: ‘there is a cunt coming out of a cunts cunt’

Tarpon
3 minutes ago, George1234 said:

Apparently, when he was being born a senior doctor walked past with some junior doctors, he stopped, pointed and said: ‘there is a cunt coming out of a cunts cunt’

Or "- Guys! Always remember to put a condom on!"

keepitfun
8 hours ago, TommyPattaya said:

I shrugged my shoulders, because the beer was already super cheap and gave her maybe another 20b to make it an even 100b for the beer. Still a third of the price of a pint on the US west coast, before tip.

Hope she gave you a tug.

rob63

I am seriously tipping too much. I should have read the tipping threads more thoroughly. I am usually tipping 50 to 100b regardless of how many drinks.....usually just the one.

George1234
2 minutes ago, rob63 said:

I am seriously tipping too much. I should have read the tipping threads more thoroughly. I am usually tipping 50 to 100b regardless of how many drinks.....usually just the one.

I tip 500 in bars I'm just walking past

regyai
49 minutes ago, George1234 said:

I tip 500 in bars I'm just walking past

& throw the soi dogs a 100 each

Jo1992

Yet another hero in pattaya. Should have told him to fuck off

George1234
39 minutes ago, regyai said:

& throw the soi dogs a 100 each

I give out so many tips I have circles of hands around me, a paw did once enter the circle. 

vimto66

What a nosey twat the Australian bloke in the opening post was, and 20 baht was more than enough no matter if it means more to her then you.

WalterA

The Aussie guy might be the owner of the bar .... just blending in .... or the boyfriend or husband of the waitress ....

WalterA

The Aussie dollar is really crap against the Baht 1=20 ... whereas even 6 years ago it was 1=32 .... maybe the Aussie guy wanted the OP to tip for him instead ...

CuppaTea
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, WalterA said:

The Aussie dollar is really crap against the Baht 1=20 ... whereas even 6 years ago it was 1=32 .... maybe the Aussie guy wanted the OP to tip for him instead ...

You guys didn't deliberately vote for your currency to crash, so you have most peoples sympathy.

Comments from another customer about how anybody else should spend their own money are just stupid ones that only stupid people make.

Stupidity is an infectious disease that can be caught by talking to stupid people, so just ignore them and stay clever. 

Edited by CuppaTea

cockney_fozz

You acted appropriately, why get into a debate with an unknown  half wit, over a few baht.

In my experience most girls are happy with what we give them. I had one complaint from a waitress, I had one beer tipped her 10 baht, I got a sarcastic comment "this will only pay for a piss" I simply said, if you want you can give it back and pay for your own piss. I drank up and walked away.