Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

TommyPattaya

Tipping waitresses at beer bars

TommyPattaya

I know I know, another tipping thread. But this one may be slightly different...

Last summer I was at the Red Cat Bar on Beach Road and Soi 8 watching the sun set and ordered a beer. Saturday or Sunday evening. I want to say the beer was 60b (happy hour maybe?) so I gave the waitress 80b (33% tip) and thought it was a done deal.

An older Australian bloke behind me piped up and said, "you need to tip her more." I blinked twice, and told him that I tipped her a third of the price of the beer. He said, "I know but it means more to her than it does to you." I shrugged my shoulders, because the beer was already super cheap and gave her maybe another 20b to make it an even 100b for the beer. Still a third of the price of a pint on the US west coast, before tip.

A couple of things: 1) what do y'all tip (if anything) for super cheap, 60b beer? 2) what kind of a patron calls out another patron for not tipping enough?

rope-a-dope

1. I'd say to the idiot..if it means that much to you, tip her..and walk over to somewhere with not so many idiots to enjoy my sherbert!

Macawber
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TommyPattaya said:

A couple of things: 1) what do y'all tip (if anything) for super cheap, 60b beer? 2) what kind of a patron calls out another patron for not tipping enough?

20 baht is more than enough in the situation you describe.. it is certainly not necessary to leave a tip after every purchase... wait until you are ready to leave the bar, check bin and pay your total bill and then decide what you feel is a reasonable tip... oh, and don't rely advise from random strangers.... unless it's sourced from this board of course 555

Edited by Macawber

HimBadMan
Posted (edited)

If I order one beer and end up leaving.  I usually leave 10b to 20b max

And for larger  bins same.  10 to 20b per 100b spent.  So 10 to 20% of my bin depending..

But I'm from the US, so always have that mentality. 

Edited by HimBadMan

WhiteThai
Posted (edited)

An Australian telling a Yank to tip more? Is Hell freezing over?

I wish I could see that video, 555

And yes, 20 baht is fine.

Edited by WhiteThai

Imlooking4fun

20 baht tip on a 60 baht beer. More than fair. 20 baht tip on 980 baht bin a bit tight. Up to you. Your money your choice 

bg532002

I am Australian and I would not have hesitated in telling the advise giver to mind his own business.

sexy man

if the same girl serves me i always give her the tip into her hand and that is hers alone otherwise tips go into a jar and is shared by everyone

udontony

I tip what I think is OK, really good service tip in hand and maybe a little for tip jar.   If some one is rude enough to intervene and comment on what I do, I think they would soon know what I think of them.

WalterA
1 hour ago, TommyPattaya said:

I know I know, another tipping thread. But this one may be slightly different...

Last summer I was at the Red Cat Bar on Beach Road and Soi 8 watching the sun set and ordered a beer. Saturday or Sunday evening. I want to say the beer was 60b (happy hour maybe?) so I gave the waitress 80b (33% tip) and thought it was a done deal.

An older Australian bloke behind me piped up and said, "you need to tip her more." I blinked twice, and told him that I tipped her a third of the price of the beer. He said, "I know but it means more to her than it does to you." I shrugged my shoulders, because the beer was already super cheap and gave her maybe another 20b to make it an even 100b for the beer. Still a third of the price of a pint on the US west coast, before tip.

Unlike the USA .... tipping is not expected here or customary ... if you tip, they are grateful but you don’t have to .... so whether it’s 5 Baht , 20 or 100 Baht .... up to you ....

As for this Australian guy , he needs to mind his own business ... how fucking rude ... he’s full of shit and it’s not his money .... I’d be pissed off is someone told me what to do with my money .....

Happy hour or not, tipping is not expected or customary, so do whatever you want ....

wallywest

Bloody old interfering Australian blokes I can just imagine the type of guy you mean.

i would say proportionate to the price of the drink that it was a decent enough tip, tell the old buggar to sod off if it happens again. 

chris2004

I usually tip 10% which i thing is more than fair. On one beer 60 baht 10 baht tip max. I am not paying 100 baht for a 60 baht beer. If the tab is 1000 baht then fine tip 100+.

apu nahasapeemapetilon

20bt for a 60bt beer is more than decent. It's not customary to tip in most of the Asian countries but it's excepted from a tourist so anything above 30% is enough. In countries like Australia tipping is a social contract but not in Asia. Most of the locals don't tip at all.

Justinkredible

Tip what you feel is appropriate, and fuck what anyone else thinks. That guy should mind his own business, seriously. I mean I'm not saying be a complete cheap Charlie, but tipping 20% is plenty IMO. Tipping is a western custom, it is not required in Asian countries (even though it has long since become expected). If someone had said that to me, my big mouth would have likely said something confrontational in return, landing me in a heated situation. So yeah, maybe I'm not the best person to listen to

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

zarathustra611
1 hour ago, bg532002 said:

I am Australian and I would not have hesitated in telling the advise giver to mind his own business.

I like to think I'd have welcomed his offer to chuck in his own money to increase the tip- but I'm usually not quick witted enough on the spot.

Probably just have wondered aloud if this was my beer & my wallet or his?

He was probably pissed as a newt if he was sticking his nose in to your bill. (Aussie here too, so I'm allowed to stereotype)

There's a 10% service charge already added to the bill in most places; if so I just the minor change, or sometimes nothing if I've already paid 10% & I haven't had more than a single beer or whatever. Otherwise whatever coins I have.

But 20 was plenty in that situation & if it came to a nice round number or the note you happened to have, then thats what it is, no big deal.

robert6996
3 hours ago, TommyPattaya said:

1) whatever amount I want to

2) the girls boyfriend, she's supporting him.555

eXplosief

Very likely the guy was the waitresses boyfriend, or he wanted to be that. 

SureShot

I honestly never know what to tip.  I always ask the girls i'm with, and not one time, have I thought it's been a high tip; and have felt bad for tipping so low. but the girl(s)  say i'm tipping too much. Even AJ has told me "NO!" many times.  i'm still confused, but have been tipping lower than I think I should. but the girls are always happy... so I still don't get it. haha

Gunnar_G

A tip of 20 bath for a beer is more than enough and I would have ignored the idiot.

There is no real tipping culture in Thailand and leaving some small change in bars and restaurants is usually enough, just google ´thailand tipping culture´

Often when you pay a bill of exactly 400 bath you will get some 20 bath bills and coins back from 500 bath, they know you would not leave a tip of 100 bath.

LOTTELLEE WINNA

In terms of a tip...well it all depends. If I have had good service I will leave 100 thb in my bin for say an 80 thb beer. If I don’t like the service they get nothing. If I have been paid a lot of attention by a Honey, well she will get a 100 thb tip slipped in her bra :GrinNod1:

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Tipping in Thailand and Elsewhere 

In LoS it is very common for a falang to leave a tip. Locals do also tip, but less often. Personally, I make a rule to tip for good service, I scrupulously avoid leaving a tip for bad service.

In Thailand, I will tip 100 thb after my taxi ride to Patts from the airport. I will leave 20 thb after buying a beer. Of course, if I have had the atteyof a very hot gal in a bar, I will happily slide 100 thb inside her bra :08:

It’s different though in other countries. Tipping is not a major preoccupation in New Zealand, the country I am currently carrying out some consultancy project work in. Locals only leave tips for outstanding service, and the amount given is discretionary. Tipping at restaurants and bars: In upmarket restaurants, you can acknowledge sterling service by tipping 10% of the bill. In mid-range diners, most people will just leave loose change. If there’s a tip jar available, place your tip there. Otherwise, just give a little extra when you hand your payment. Bartenders are not usually tipped.
Tipping tour guides: Because tours mostly cater visitors, guides often expect a small tip. Proper tipping etiquette dictates around 5% of the tour cost.
Tipping taxi drivers: When it comes to tipping cab drivers, it’s common courtesy to round up the fare to the nearest NZ$5.
Tipping hotel staff: Tipping hotel staff is not expected. If you wish to do so, a good idea is NZ$1-$2 for porters and NZ$3-$5 for a helpful concierge.

Personally, I decide to leave a tip or not, depending on whether I have had good service or not no matter where in the world I am.

BBEA7B7D-C6A5-41F9-9CE1-B4110B209F1F.jpeg

rob63

Op you did the right thing. You are not in Pattaya to fight loud mouth strangers. Remember, they probably released that guy who goes around beating drunk tourists to death. Who knows, he coud be putting on a fake ozzie accent to encourage a fight?

Anyway, your tip was fair. I'm curious, why didn't you juts keep a bin and tip 50b after a few beers?

sg1912

It depends, i’ll tip the waitress if they go out of their way to make sure everything is ok, but I’ll never tip if I have bought a LD.

Somchai1

As an aside to this ....when I’m in a Bar in BKK and less so recently in Patts, if there are two guys chatting away on the next table, putting the world to rights and generally being ‘Know-All’s’ they are invariably Aussies.....I think Aussies are generally more forthright and gregarious as a nation so maybe that comes out in their conversations. Did they discover Thailand before us British/Irish patrons for holidays?. I remember a few back in the 90’s and a strong Scandinavian presence in  Patts. While I’m at the racial stereotyping.....why is it that if you spot a farang out of his head, asleep or talking to himself in a drunken stupor on the steps of a 7/11 they are nearly always Scandinavian....

TommyPattaya
42 minutes ago, rob63 said:

Op you did the right thing. You are not in Pattaya to fight loud mouth strangers. Remember, they probably released that guy who goes around beating drunk tourists to death. Who knows, he coud be putting on a fake ozzie accent to encourage a fight?

Anyway, your tip was fair. I'm curious, why didn't you juts keep a bin and tip 50b after a few beers?

Good question. I was en route from Soi 6 to my hotel and was already pretty drunk. Just had the one beer to admire the sunset and went on my merry way!

And yeah, I'm not sticking to whatever principles I have on account of 65 cents.

2 hours ago, eXplosief said:

Very likely the guy was the waitresses boyfriend, or he wanted to be that. 

You're right. Now that I think about it, they were a bit chummy. I didn't think about them being 'together' because she honestly looked like an old, tired lady working a shitty shift job. At the time, I figured he lived there and he was just a regular customer sticking up for the staff. Happens all the time in the US.

Either way, the conversation in this thread is worth the extra 65 cents I paid.