Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

paulrob

https://thethaiger.com/news/opinion/why-the-chinese-are-infinitely-more-important-than-western-tourists-to-thailand

Europeans are considered a "niche" market for Thailand, according to the above. As well as more of the Chinese coming to LOS they seem to spend more per person.

Of course there are lies, damned lies and then statistics and the other question is where does the money from the Chinese actually go? Many locals say that they do not see it.

I suspect local businesses will see more income long term if the predicted rise of the independent traveler from China comes about, despite the currency issues.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, paulrob said:

Thoughts?

News on the number off chinese tourists seem to be all over.. just 2 months ago they were reporting a big drop.

https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/06/28/whats-the-real-reason-behind-the-chinese-fall-in-numbers-visiting-thailand/

As to the spending numbers, they make more sense when you consider that for every western big spender in Pattaya there are a couple off 25$ a day bacpackackers roaming the country.

4 minutes ago, J.D.Be. said:

News on the number off chinese tourists seem to be all over.. just 2 months ago they were reporting a big drop.

https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/06/28/whats-the-real-reason-behind-the-chinese-fall-in-numbers-visiting-thailand/

As to the spending numbers, they make more sense when you consider that for every western big spender in Pattaya there are a couple off 25$ a day bacpackackers roaming the country.

Agreed but the drop off is likely to be a short/medium term dip. Thailand are looking at the long term (a wise move IMHO)

Where do the Chinese spend their money? Is it on Thai owned businesses?

13 minutes ago, paulrob said:

Agreed but the drop off is likely to be a short/medium term dip. Thailand are looking at the long term (a wise move IMHO)

For Thailands sake i hope you're right. But another issue was discussed in the article.

"My suspicions started after a recent meeting in Bangkok with certain General Managers from the hotel industry, they were suggesting China has cut the number of chartered flights in order to encourage more Chinese to holiday at home in China."

Much will depend on the outcome off the current trade wars. And if needed the Chinese gov have all the tools at hand to regulate how much money goes out of China.

Tops market / central marina and businesses around. In Bkk ratchada night market, Huai Khwang and around . 70 or 80 % of Chinese in these places, for sure some Thais get plenty of Chineses money there .

5 hours ago, paulrob said:

I would say the unofficial Chinatown is Sohotown. You see a lot of Chinese couples and families in the area between Central marina mall and terminal 21. Makes sense as all Chinese (even those from Taiwan) seem to be fascinated with ladyboys. The Alcazar and Tiffany ladyboy shows are right in that area. 

Seafood is another area where I see them spending their money. And I see various signs advertising bird's nest, and even a few advertising shark's fin.

I also see a fair number of Chinese on Soi 6 and in gogo bars. Maybe some people think they are Korean or Japanese. 

IMG_20190111_200401.thumb.jpg.9839e8d996ef7a00f28d565d162ded0d.jpg

IMG_20190111_200337.thumb.jpg.f921f5e828a0fec44bfc7f5ea5687a70.jpg

5 hours ago, paulrob said:

You're not from round here are you? 

7 hours ago, paulrob said:

Well they do and did as there has been a lot of Chinese investment in collaboration with many of Thai (but that may get into politics).

6 hours ago, markado said:

Tops market / central marina and businesses around. In Bkk ratchada night market, Huai Khwang and around . 70 or 80 % of Chinese in these places, for sure some Thais get plenty of Chineses money there .

The traders may be happy but the tour companies make more and most is sourced in the home country in mostly "all inclusive" tours and negotiated at very low rates, just look at what is currently happening to a a lot of European tour companies , many are on the point of collapse. China may be about to experience a similar situation.

1 hour ago, rope-a-dope said:

You're not from round here are you? 

I don't think it matters. You only have to look at the investment capital China is pouring out of the home nation.

Farewell Falang  , Bonjour Chinese .... ( that’s their wish now , :Hair_Out1:

12 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Farewell Falang  , Bonjortour Chinese .... ( that’s their wish now , :Hair_Out1:

Sorry Jockey I dont quite understand your comment, tourism of any sort is still essential to their GDP and success of Thailand being the most successful SEA currencies at present as it continues to attract foreign investment particularly from China.

30 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Sorry Jockey I dont quite understand your comment, tourism of any sort is still essential to their GDP and success of Thailand being the most successful SEA currencies at present as it continues to attract foreign investment particularly from China.

Agree , I merely give a bit of my very own philosophy,,  Nothing against the Chinese .. They are doing very well in every department including India .. 

5 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Agree , I merely give a bit of my very own philosophy,,  Nothing against the Chinese .. They are doing very well in every department including India .. 

Well I could disagree with you but we would could be accused of getting into politics I am fearful of where that nation is overtaking another dangerous "country"  and in some respects doing it in a more sinister manner. I wonder how things are in HK.

2 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Well I could disagree with you but we would could be accused of getting into politics I am fearful of where that nation is overtaking another dangerous "country"  and in some respects doing it in a more sinister manner. I wonder how things are in HK.

Horrible experience for people of Hong Kong , I fear the Chinese will extradite a lot of protestors and lock em up for years .. I hope not . As a regular anti irish government myself , attending to most protests over the years , never got arrested , but in Chinese occupied city ,  they have no chance of a fair trial if arrested .  Very proud of the Hong Kong protestors, they are very brave . I pray for those who got arrested recently including airport incident , we may never hear of them again . 

Chinese are buying condos in Jomtien, mainly northern end. And Chinese tour companies are block booking rental condos around there for years ahead. 

There is a Chinese food court, and Chinese restaurants there too. 

I don't really know much about the Chinese. But I am afraid that in the long term it can only go in 2 ways. 

Thailand will loose the majority of the Chinese market to Cambodia. With complete Chinese cities being build there like shianoukville (sp?).

Or they have to follow this trend and we will end up with places where western tourists don't feel welcome anymore. 

I really dont give a shit what Thais like or want. With an exchange rate of THB 33 or 34 to the Euro they will loose a lot of tourism business within the months to come. If the government thinks that the cheap Chinese or Indian business makes up for the decrease in European arrivals then they should think about what happened to the Russian businesses a while ago. Besides that, there are other options in Asia and Pattaya is by far not as attractive as years ago anymore either.

Air routes managed by low-cost companies helped to move travelers from India and China. Both nationalities are not spending money out of the daily tours. UE market with a Euro at 33.80 is punished, and British market with a Pound at 37.00 as well. 

Pattaya is by far much expensive than years ago and we have only to see how many Indian and Chinese restaurants have recently opened. Years ago was plenty of Italians restaurants.

Special mention to the new Condos built by Chinese.

• 2 months later...

Lets face it: the currency exchange rate is still miserable, the low season is completely death, businesses are closing down and the current military dictatorship and immigration does everything (TM reportings, biometrical airport checks, restricted visa extension opportunities, immigration checks all over the country etc..) to stop foreigners from staying longtime in the kingdom. No need to rub elbows with Indian and Chinese people or watch them to talk the professionals and freelancers out of their 2K requests. Besides that, the quality of the girls is decreasing too and I am personally not interested to pay 4-5K for the few stunners. Accordingly, I stay away from the LoS and travel to other countries - or in the future - just visit Bangkok for a couple of days on a stopover to Vietnam, Cambodia or the Philippines. So far I found the girls within the Philippines much more attractive with better English language skills anyway

Archived