IGNORED

Hong Kong Air/China Eastern Biz

fatjack1

Just did a Kayak search.  Not really sure I'm ready to face the travel again this year but I like to keep my hand in to be aware of flight costs.  And I prefer flying out of LAX and biz class.  I was shocked at two results today.  One might be because Hong Kong airport is messed up (despite the date I chose being October 1), and the other goes through PVG (Shanghai).  But both are biz class lie flat seats per Seatguru and cost $1962 via HK and $2191 via PVG.  And both are reasonable layovers.

Anyone experience travel with these two airlines and is it chickens in the overheads and chattering masses of unkempt people strolling through biz class shitting on the floors or something?  Hell I might still take it at these prices.  :P

@fatjack1

I flew HK Air to Bangkok from HGK, didn't really care for the flight. It was full of Chinese people that acted like they never flew before. The plane was old and not kept up well, It's a budget airline.

I flew with them because I like the time it arrived in BKK, and the cheap price. I guess the old saying of you get what you pay for was true in this case.

If you fly out of PVG, expect a flight delay. I was delayed over 2 hours and missed my connection at LAX. I was told that PVG always has flight delays by other flyers.

Your experience may be different than mine.

Player in the Game of Life

Thanks.  That price seems TOO good to be true.  Lie flat seats all the way and only 2 hour connections.  Half the price of the airline I want to fly (EVA).  Less than half.

I just booked BKK-WUH-SFO return with Chin Southern for wife and I and it was about $1800 each. 

59 minutes ago, robert6996 said:

@fatjack1

I flew HK Air to Bangkok from HGK, didn't really care for the flight. It was full of Chinese people that acted like they never flew before. The plane was old and not kept up well, It's a budget airline.

I flew with them because I like the time it arrived in BKK, and the cheap price. I guess the old saying of you get what you pay for was true in this case.

If you fly out of PVG, expect a flight delay. I was delayed over 2 hours and missed my connection at LAX. I was told that PVG always has flight delays by other flyers.

Your experience may be different than mine.

I am flying HK Airlines Bkk to SFO return for bit under 600 bucks in Sept

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

I think Hong Kong Air just started the LAX-HKG route.

I recall reading a review on a travel blog that it was pretty good.

I have read that China Eastern has a very comfortable 1-2-1 lie flat layout in biz class. I think you can credit the miles to Delta.

Again, I recall review on a travel blog.

The issue with both may be the “soft product” on board (food, service, etc.)....but how BAD could it be?!? That price sounds great, even if you have to carry a couple of sandwiches on with you! 5555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I have read that China Eastern has a very comfortable 1-2-1 lie flat layout in biz class. I think you can credit the miles to Delta.

The issue with both may be the “soft product” on board (food, service, etc.)....but how BAD could it be?!? That price sounds great, even if you have to carry a couple of sandwiches on with you! 5555

With the current trouble in Hong Kong, maybe better not book that for a while.

1 hour ago, javasumatra said:

I just booked BKK-WUH-SFO return with Chin Southern for wife and I and it was about $1800 each. 

China Southern is the worst airline I ever used. Last minute schedule changes, large delays, chaotic queues, asshole passengers. Avoid mainland chinese airlines, or even mainland chinese stops on other airlines, but the worst is China Southern.

26 minutes ago, Biennial said:

China Southern is the worst airline I ever used. Last minute schedule changes, large delays, chaotic queues, asshole passengers. Avoid mainland chinese airlines, or even mainland chinese stops on other airlines, but the worst is China Southern.

Oh well, I've been intrigued by Hainan, China Eastern and China Southern for a while now. I'm gonna give them a try and see how bad they are.

With the current trouble in Hong Kong, maybe better not book that for a while.

On the Bangkok to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to San Francisco routes that I have booked for September they fly those routes 5 days a week during all the upheaval in Hong Kong they only cancelled two of those flights and now everything seems to be back to normal hasn't been a cancellation in a week on this route anyway fingers crossed

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

babydollsaddict.gif

I fly hk airlines business class. SFO-HK-BKK and returning in September. I had no problems. I recommend especially at the low price. Don’t expect EVA or Cathey Pacific comfort. You pay for what you receive. No more, no less.

Because I have mild OCD, it was bugging me and I had to go find the reviews that I read (555)

PointsGuy review of Hong Kong Air - https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/hong-kong-airlines-a350-business/

OneMileAtATime review:  https://onemileatatime.com/hong-kong-airlines-business-class-a350-review/

And here is the One Mile At A Time review for China Eastern LAX to Shanghai in biz class: 
https://onemileatatime.com/review-china-eastern-business-class-777/

And an updated mention of their new seating:  https://onemileatatime.com/china-eastern-a350/

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

If it's just the food and choice and amount of booze I don't care.  I pretty much buy based on:

1)  Get there safe

2)  Arrive on time 

3)  Lie flat seat

4)  All aisle access (no one climbs over me or me them)

I can bring a toothbrush and buy sandwiches in the airport.  And I bring my own MacBook and iPad entertainment.  My concern reading here and checking reviews is the on time aspect of it.  That and if the unrest in HK will be resolved.  Of course I haven't even decided to face the trip again yet so it's academic.  

I was also surprised and happy to see that even when you buy the cheap seats online they allow you to pick your seating for all legs of your trip. I have found most other flights when you buy a cattle car seat you have to wait until you check in to get seat assignment or at least that has been my experience.

babydollsaddict.gif

Note I didn't;t see this fare on their web sight..  Only Kayak.  I am concerned that I will be limited to selecting seat that route or if something is canceled getting a big FU from them.  I confess I hate travel and will pay a bit more to avoid hassle.  But dayum.  $2K biz RT LAX-BKK is so tempting.

With 1-2-1 lie flat seating, even the “last” choice is usually a pretty damn good seat!

Kayak searches other travel websites, so fares likely available via some discounter.

If I was sure I was going I think I'd jump on this.  Guessing it isn't refundable so I'll have to wait and see.

I appreciate the price difference is going to be greater flying from the USA than from the UK but I have vowed to never fly via China, India or Russia regardless of the saving. Life’s too short.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I would be very leery of mainland China or India.  I have flown through HK before the current mess and didn't have any issues there.  And the layovers were short enough I could survive if the lounge sucked.

Obviously I prefer Taiwan and EVA air.  But the best prices I've seen from them for biz class is over $3500.  So $1500 delta buys a lot of comfort later.  :D

On 15/08/2019 at 00:48, fatjack1 said:

Just did a Kayak search.  Not really sure I'm ready to face the travel again this year but I like to keep my hand in to be aware of flight costs.  And I prefer flying out of LAX and biz class.  I was shocked at two results today.  One might be because Hong Kong airport is messed up (despite the date I chose being October 1), and the other goes through PVG (Shanghai).  But both are biz class lie flat seats per Seatguru and cost $1962 via HK and $2191 via PVG.  And both are reasonable layovers.

Anyone experience travel with these two airlines and is it chickens in the overheads and chattering masses of unkempt people strolling through biz class shitting on the floors or something?  Hell I might still take it at these prices.  :P

I flew biz in Dec 2018 (USA-PEK-BKK, return BKK-PVG-USA). Both legs between HNL and China were on lie flat seats via China Eastern Airlines, HOWEVER the legs between China and BKK were both operated by Shanghai Airlines. Shanghai Airlines is horrible - biz class is not much better than coach, service is horrible, it was like flying coach. China Eastern portions biz class was good, not quite up to other airlines but had what you are looking for (lie flat seat, space, privacy, quiet, service). Both airports in China are a f*cking zoo, horrible: have to change terminals via bus or tram, go through hardcore security which is agonizingly slow, etc. Do yourself a favor and look deeply into which airline is operating each leg of the flight - I booked very late at a decent price so just took what I could but wouldn't fly the same again if I had time to plan.

On the plus side, Pattaya is still alive and there are even willing lasses waiting to take care of you despite the claims of the sky falling!!

1 minute ago, kahuna1 said:

I flew biz in Dec 2018 (HNL-PEK-BKK, return BKK-PVG-HNL). Both legs between HNL and China were on lie flat seats via China Eastern Airlines, HOWEVER the legs between China and BKK were both operated by Shanghai Airlines. Shanghai Airlines is horrible - biz class is not much better than coach, service is horrible, it was like flying coach. China Eastern portions biz class was good, not quite up to other airlines but had what you are looking for (lie flat seat, space, privacy, quiet, service). Both airports in China are a f*cking zoo, horrible: have to change terminals via bus or tram, go through hardcore security which is agonizingly slow, etc. Do yourself a favor and look deeply into which airline is operating each leg of the flight - I booked very late at a decent price so just took what I could but wouldn't fly the same again with time to plan.

On the plus side, Pattaya is still alive and there are even willing lasses waiting to take care of you despite the claims of the sky falling!!

Thanks for that info.  I have never transferred in a Chinese airport.  Have read others post similar experiences to yours.  I have transited in Hong Kong airport and would again.   But stories like yours have me leery of mainland China.  Bummer China Eastern and Southern seem to both use hubs in China.

Also good to hear there is still a Pattaya to visit.  I know sometimes I think it was lots better "in the old days" but suspect most of that was I wasn't so old then.  :P

On 18/08/2019 at 11:34, Cheetos said:

I fly hk airlines business class. SFO-HK-BKK and returning in September. I had no problems. I recommend especially at the low price. Don’t expect EVA or Cathey Pacific comfort. You pay for what you receive. No more, no less.

Not happy now. HK air changed flight time. Now instead of 5 hours layover in HK it’s 7 hours. I guess that’s what happens when you book a cheap ticket. Time wasted.

5 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Not happy now. HK air changed flight time. Now instead of 5 hours layover in HK it’s 7 hours. I guess that’s what happens when you book a cheap ticket. Time wasted.

That sucks.  I search long and hard for less than 2 hour layovers.  Expensive now but when EVA was reasonable I was very happy with them.  

Redeeming factor is Hong Kong airport has a adjoining hotel called the Regal. I will purchase the room for day use. Cost is $170 US. 

Archived