IGNORED

Car Rental Insurance Help/Advice Needed

Firepole

On my next trip I'm considering renting a car to take a little trip, from Pattaya to about two/three hours north of Bangkok(no driving in Bangkok city). I'm concerned about having the proper insurance coverage should anything happen. Anything from a scratch on the paint to, God forbid, something major where someone gets injured. I'd want 100% coverage where I wouldn't have to worry about a thing. 

Anyone have any suggestions they can make from personal experiences about insurance, good or bad, while RENTING a car in Thailand? I know an IDP is recommended(no problem). I'm only concerned about insurance coverage. Never having had an accident, or filing an insurance claim here in the U.S., I'm a little naive on what to look for and what to watch out for.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:45, Firepole said:

On my next trip I'm considering renting a car to take a little trip, from Pattaya to about two/three hours north of Bangkok(no driving in Bangkok city). I'm concerned about having the proper insurance coverage should anything happen. Anything from a scratch on the paint to, God forbid, something major where someone gets injured. I'd want 100% coverage where I wouldn't have to worry about a thing. 

Anyone have any suggestions they can make from personal experiences about insurance, good or bad, while RENTING a car in Thailand? I know an IDP is recommended(no problem). I'm only concerned about insurance coverage. Never having had an accident, or filing an insurance claim here in the U.S., I'm a little naive on what to look for and what to watch out for.

The company I rent from in Pattaya is ExPat Car Rental, expatcarrent.com

Their rental fee includes renters insurance.

Up front I pay the rental fee plus a 5,000 baht deposit.

If there is any damage to the car, its taken out of the deposit, the renters insurance would take car of the rest.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I only ever rented from international rental companies out of Swampy. Mostly use Avis but sometimes Sixt as well. Always make sure most (but not all) is covered, especially third party damage. For the car as such I do not care too much for 100% coverage. Had an accident once and to my surprise had only to pay 5000 Baht I think.....damage would have been easily 15000 in Germany as a part had to be replaced. The whole thing was handled very professionally which I would have concerns with if it’s a 100 % Thai company.....

I use a Chase Sapphire card that offers primary collision coverage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a company that will sell a policy that will cover excess when hiring cars in Europe?

On 27/08/2019 at 01:31, jimboh said:

Can anyone recommend a company that will sell a policy that will cover excess when hiring cars in Europe?

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-excess-insurance.php

Not actually recommending, as they have onerous requirements when making a claim. Police report apparently being one of them. But if you can actually fulfil the requirements, you should be ok.

Sunnycars.com

everything, really everything is covered.

You can hire with them everywhere, also in Pattaya.

We have used bizcar rental 3 times, price good and lets us both drive, me on my IDP from the UK my wife has a Thai and UK license. No issues at all fully insured the only thing you are liable for is getting tyre's if you have a puncture. Will be using again this month. 

I rented a car last trip from Pattaya Rent a car, owner Shane Ruddle, no problems at all and can contact from outside Thailand before you arrive ,full insurance plus rescue, I hired a Toyota Vios and drove up to Sukhatai, also extended the hire by phone for an extra day to do an airport pickup, I will hire from this company in the future .

hope this helps.

Archived