Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

golden_boy

Mobile hot spots

golden_boy

If someone was renting a condo without direct router. And wifi around condo is poor, have any of you ever bought a sim and used the phone as a hotspot to connect laptop/tv to it? 

I know AIS have recently ended their unlimited plans. But what are your go to plans?

Ive always had rooms with direct interenet. Planning a trip december and a friend says I can rent their vacant condo very cheaply. Only issue is no direct internet. 

Sure ive read posts on this subject before, but cannot locate previous posts.

Little Evil

Is the wifi poor because it is broadcast per floor as opposed to each unit having its own connection and router? You could look into wifi repeater/range extenders if that's the case, but it would be useful to have admin control of the access point.  

golden_boy
35 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Is the wifi poor because it is broadcast per floor as opposed to each unit having its own connection and router? You could look into wifi repeater/range extenders if that's the case, but it would be useful to have admin control of the access point.  

Its a view talay building. My undestanding is you can rent per month. But would not know how stable this would be. I believe the routers are the ones you see aling the corridor on the ceiling? 

Having a sim card and using a phone as a hotspot might be a better option. 

Mr_wimpy

Use a mobile as a hotspot for a laptop to rdp into a work network. The WiFi is never good enough to connect.  Works well, very fast.

not sure about connecting a tv up to it though.  Suppose that would depend on how much data you get with the sim.  Unless it’s unlimited think streaming tv would eat all your data.

Little Evil
47 minutes ago, golden_boy said:

Its a view talay building. My undestanding is you can rent per month. But would not know how stable this would be. I believe the routers are the ones you see aling the corridor on the ceiling? 

Having a sim card and using a phone as a hotspot might be a better option. 

The phone option would work, but a few things to consider:

Wifi broadcasting from a phone kills the battery. You can easily get around this by leaving it plugged in while broadcasting, but you may want to consider the toll this takes on the hardware  if this is also your daily use phone as well. They heat up a lot during long broadcast sessions when also plugged in to wall power, and I have no idea what prolonged use would do to battery longevity. Somewhat a non-factor if this phone is a dedicated broadcast device, but I'd sooner just buy a dedicated hot spot if that were the case. 

Secondly, wifi broadcast via phone has an additional layer of latency to consider. Maybe not an issue for streaming video to a TV, but that does come into play for certain applications and games.

Lastly, I'd be worried about data consumption. Not sure what the plans are like in LoS, but you may want to research. I probably use 100X more data from my home broadband wifi than my cell connection in a month. I'm not sure how my cell provider would respond if I flipped that equation. 

I'd personally be looking for personal broadband connection options, but those will most likely end up being more expensive of a solution. 

golden_boy
33 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

The phone option would work, but a few things to consider:

Wifi broadcasting from a phone kills the battery. You can easily get around this by leaving it plugged in while broadcasting, but you may want to consider the toll this takes on the hardware  if this is also your daily use phone as well. They heat up a lot during long broadcast sessions when also plugged in to wall power, and I have no idea what prolonged use would do to battery longevity. Somewhat a non-factor if this phone is a dedicated broadcast device, but I'd sooner just buy a dedicated hot spot if that were the case. 

Secondly, wifi broadcast via phone has an additional layer of latency to consider. Maybe not an issue for streaming video to a TV, but that does come into play for certain applications and games.

Lastly, I'd be worried about data consumption. Not sure what the plans are like in LoS, but you may want to research. I probably use 100X more data from my home broadband wifi than my cell connection in a month. I'm not sure how my cell provider would respond if I flipped that equation. 

I'd personally be looking for personal broadband connection options, but those will most likely end up being more expensive of a solution. 

Im only going to be using the room for a month so buying a dedicated phone line is not something im going to do. I do have a spare old iphone 4 that still works I could use if I put a sim in it. 

I dont do online gaming. Mainly watch youtube and the odd football match/movie.

I think you can buy a month wifi from condo reception. But as mentioned, dont know how good that option would be. 

javasumatra

Have you thought about looking at using a "cantenna" out on the balcony and pointing it towards a open mobile hotspot (maybe AIS).

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna

Edited by javasumatra

golden_boy
2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Have you thought about looking at using a "cantenna" out on the balcony and pointing it towards a open mobile hotspot (maybe AIS).

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna

Id never even heard of this. Doubt I woukd go to these lengths, but thanks for providing the link. 

Catfish1950

I get a tourist sim at the airport every trip and use the hotspot on my phone as the guesthouse I always stay at has pitiful wi-fi.  Never a problem for me.

golden_boy
4 hours ago, K... said:

You can get a dongle like this

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3208/4G_pocket_WiFi?ln=en

I had an older version a few years ago that worked well. 

Do you know where in Pattaya I could buy one of these and approx cost? (Assuming tukcom would).

I always get a Dtac tourist sim at BKK airport on arrival for general use.

Ideally id like one of those things you mention with a simcard with a decent amount of data.

K...
46 minutes ago, golden_boy said:

Do you know where in Pattaya I could buy one of these and approx cost? (Assuming tukcom would).

I always get a Dtac tourist sim at BKK airport on arrival for general use.

Ideally id like one of those things you mention with a simcard with a decent amount of data.

You can get them from one of the true move stores or probably at Tukcom as well. Cost is shown on the link i posted 1,990 baht. 

Edited by K...