Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

pumbaas

How do you keep the gremlins from stealing out of your checked bags ?

Mr_wimpy
9 hours ago, hioctane said:

If you want a secure bag, look up the PacSafe line of bags.

The Bobby Pro bag is basically Pacsafe's main competitor.  Both have zips on.

I've emailed them both.  I'll let you know what they say.

forcebwithu

I have a Pacsafe backpack and the pen trick won't work on its zipper.

As for locking checked bags, have to say in all the decades of traveling I've never locked my bag and never had anything go missing. Probably b/c most often there isn't anything of real value in my checked bag.

Mr_wimpy

This was the reply from XD Design (the Bobby Bags)...

" Thanks for reaching out.

The video is a video from 2002, pretty outdated.

With that being said all our zips/stitching are designed/manufactured in a way to prevent such easy thefts."

hioctane

I was just looking for zip ties and discovered they sell numbered zip ties now. Each with a unique number so the thief just can’t cut and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onehunglo
1 minute ago, hioctane said:

I was just looking for zip ties and discovered they sell numbered zip ties now. Each with a unique number so the thief just can’t cut and replace.

also electrical ones for sparkies , they come in different colours . get them back home

hioctane
also electrical ones for sparkies , they come in different colours . get them back home

Sparkies?

Mr_wimpy

Not really too sure of the point of the cable ties.  They just want what's inside your bag. 

Why would they be bothered if they can't replace them.  The amount of hands your bag must pass through in transit, it isn't going to help pin down who stole whatever out of your bag?

forcebwithu
1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Sparkies?

electricians

sulu
On 13/08/2019 at 11:56, ValleyCowboy said:

Lots of people think this is the answer. It's not. I had a direct flight from SFO - MNL. Got my bag wrapped at SFO thinking it would keep the baggage rats out. My bag arrived at the luggage carousel in MNL unwrapped and partially open. Nothing was missing but there really wasn't anything of much value in my bag either.

Not sure about other countries but TSA can open any checked bag they want/need to.

Break (non-TSA) locks, unwrap bags, whatever. Up to them.

sulu
1 hour ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Not really too sure of the point of the cable ties.  They just want what's inside your bag. 

Why would they be bothered if they can't replace them.  The amount of hands your bag must pass through in transit, it isn't going to help pin down who stole whatever out of your bag?

Well, I guess that'd discourage the "amateur" thieves, the ones don't carry the proper tools for the job. :wink:

hioctane

Just like hotel safes, if they really want to get in and steal something, they will. It is more of a detterent. You can know right away before you leave the airport that your bag has been tampered with and complain... rather than finding out in your hotel. Not like you will get your stuff back... but it will let the airport know there is a thief and next time maybe your bag is safe because someone else reported it.. karma!

onehunglo
3 hours ago, hioctane said:

Sparkies?

short for ELECTRICIANS

Hispano
Posted (edited)

Plastic wrap all over the suitcase

spacer.png

Edited by Hispano

Mr_wimpy
2 hours ago, Hispano said:

My mate got his wrapped on the way home once, cos it had been damaged slightly on the flight in.

paid for it to get wrapped and then released he’d left his passport in the case.  Pissed myself.

gmingot
3 hours ago, Hispano said:

Those f'er's charge a stupid price. Just buy some kling-film from the supermarket and do it youself

Danish80

Damn, im in shock reading this topic, was not known about there was so many incedents with things getting stolen from the bags..   Mine subcase is a hardback with 2 x 3 padlocks, i dont know how to protect it better (than wrap it).. If someone wants to get inside its easyly opened... But how can they steak cammeras etc without getting busted? Is there no security at the bags, and would someone find it Strange if people bring their cammera at work, for handling bagage.. 

ValleyCowboy
21 hours ago, sulu said:

Not sure about other countries but TSA can open any checked bag they want/need to.

Break (non-TSA) locks, unwrap bags, whatever. Up to them.

Yes they can but they are supposed to put a notice in your bag if they do.  "Inspection Notices: TSA may inspect your checked baggage during the screening process. If your property is physically inspected, TSA will place a notice of baggage inspection inside your bag. This is to inform you that an officer conducted an inspection of your property."

There was no notice in my bag and the bag was partially open. I'm thinking ramp rats at MNL.

onehunglo

one would think you had a right to be there when this is done

LeoTex
5 minutes ago, onehunglo said:

one would think you had a right to be there when this is done

With checked bags in the US, the TSA inspection is done after you check in for you flight.

Somewhere/time between the check in counter and being put on the plane.

LeoTex

sulu
1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

With checked bags in the US, the TSA inspection is done after you check in for you flight.

Somewhere/time between the check in counter and being put on the plane.

LeoTex

If one had to (or wanted to) be there while their bag was inspected by TSA, instead of having to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight you'd have to be there 2 DAYS before !!! :LMFAO:

CEREALKlLLER
On 13/08/2019 at 12:49, thai2try said:

Except for this trick

Wow, I've never seen that trick before.

So there is actually no point putting locks and stuff on those types of bag or cases.

eXplosief
On 13/08/2019 at 23:30, Mr_wimpy said:

Was about to buy an anti theif backpack for when I stay in a hotel without a safe to attempt to keep a laptop safe when I am out.  Was going to lock it to a something solid.

How about using a Kensington lock. Most laptops have a attachment point for that.

Mr_wimpy
53 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

How about using a Kensington lock. Most laptops have a attachment point for that.

Mine doesn’t have an attachment.  They do a bar which goes across the bottom of the screen for the ones which don’t, but people say they forget it’s on and go to shut the laptop and it damage the screen.

i did come across these locks.  https://security.multplx.com/products/jplug_lock/

basically do the same thing but lock into the headphone jack.  Not sure how well they work

eXplosief
7 minutes ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Mine doesn’t have an attachment.  They do a bar which goes across the bottom of the screen for the ones which don’t, but people say they forget it’s on and go to shut the laptop and it damage the screen.

i did come across these locks.  https://security.multplx.com/products/jplug_lock/

basically do the same thing but lock into the headphone jack.  Not sure how well they work

That is a new one for me. 

I doubt it could be as effective. The headphone Jack is not designed for this and could easily break off I would guess. 

The attachment point for a Kensington lock was designed for this and will be a structural part of the frame.