Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

pumbaas

How do you keep the gremlins from stealing out of your checked bags ?

pumbaas

How do you keep your checked bags safe ? many Items have been taking  from my bags both going and returning .

I bring tootsie Roll pops to the orphanage in pattaya and almost every trip some are missing . It happens in LAX or or other stops on the way to Thailand .

Queef_Sniffer

For starters, I don’t put ALL CAP letters in the suitcase. 

You can also try using tamper seal tape/labels. It usually works as a deterrent.

Lastly, the other option (though not preferred) is to carry it on with you. I know, it sucks, but it might be the only way to ensure nothing is, “missing.”

dh842

Only thing in my checked luggage is clothes and toiletries, nothing of value.

keepitfun

^^^^ I’m going on a holiday to a low dress standard summer all year beach town....they are welcome to my thongs (flip flops), shorts and t-shirts.   

Nothing of value here...to me or the GREMLINS

Shaksey

Don't use expensive brand bags for checked baggage.

Have a couple of Airline/hotel membership tags on them if you are in decent tiers.

Shrink wrap them.

rope-a-dope

Never checked baggage for me, carry on only.  

Bonkabit

I packed my Canon camera into a hard suitcase and double locked it, once with the actual suitcase lock and a second time with a small padlock, PIN number to open.

On arrival in my hotel in LoS, no camera. I felt sure I had actually packed it: later confirmed, as it was not to be found at home. So obviously somewhere en route Melbourne to Bangkok a thief had been able to open both locks, take the camera and close both locks again.

Moral, pack all items of temptation into your hand baggage and keep your eyes on it. Also consider getting your suitcase wrapped at your departure airport. 

LeoTex

Packed a camera in check luggage.

I don't know about your country of departure and arrival, but my checked bags are opened just about every trip, both going and returning for some sort of inspection with the inspection slip inside the bag.

I don't put any locks on my checked bags unless it is TSA approved, and that doesn't really with the bags going through foreign airports.

To help avoid anything being stolen, I don't pack anything of value and a camera for sure is going to be in my carry-on.

LeoTex 

Buddy Edgewood

Take only carry-on luggage is the answer.  Even if your holiday is for 6 months, carry-on is more than enough.  Laundry is cheap and you can get any toiletries you may need when you land in Thailand, same goes for clothing.  I'm certain you can buy tootsie roll pops in Thailand, likely cheaper than in the US.

dh842
1 hour ago, Bonkabit said:

I packed my Canon camera into a hard suitcase and double locked it, once with the actual suitcase lock and a second time with a small padlock, PIN number to open.

On arrival in my hotel in LoS, no camera. I felt sure I had actually packed it: later confirmed, as it was not to be found at home. So obviously somewhere en route Melbourne to Bangkok a thief had been able to open both locks, take the camera and close both locks again.

Moral, pack all items of temptation into your hand baggage and keep your eyes on it. Also consider getting your suitcase wrapped at your departure airport. 

Reminds me of a story. Many years ago I was a machinist in a large factory. Went to work one day and realized I left my tool chest keys at home, oh shit! What to do? Foreman says don't worry, he calls a machinist from another department who comes over and picks both of my tool chest locks open. Who was he? A Thai guy, working in a aerospace factory in L.A. NIce guy too.

samaus

Do you guys pack as much as you can into your carry on and pay for overweight or do you manage to keep it under 7 kg?

Scuba+

I use bag tags of various colours, as a deterrent and to let me know if someone has cut them and gone in the bag. With padlocks they can be easily opened and locked again

821e32bf9bfba5b7933fd54703929b1d.jpg

thai2try

Travelled through LAX 3 times and had stuff stolen twice.
Watches, cameras etc

Never had a problem going to Thailand.
In saying that, I only ever take carry on these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hioctane
Do you guys pack as much as you can into your carry on and pay for overweight or do you manage to keep it under 7 kg?

You can’t pay overweight on a carry on. They will just make you check in.

thai2try
I use bag tags of various colours, as a deterrent and to let me know if someone has cut them and gone in the bag. With padlocks they can be easily opened and locked again

821e32bf9bfba5b7933fd54703929b1d.jpg

Except for this trick

Scuba+

Except for this trick

I've not seen that before. I'd guess that most baggage handlers are too thick to try that one

Macawber
1 hour ago, samaus said:

I find that it's relatively easy to keep your carry on to under 7 kg . Paying for excess baggage at the check in counter afaik is very expensive. The trick is to use a lightweight bag NOT one of those commonly seen mini suitcases with the extendable handle and wheels...they weigh too much on their own. You'd be surprised how much stuff you just do not need to bring with you...just buy it when you arrive e.g toothpaste, soap, deodorant, shaving cream etc etc. Do a trial pack a couple of days before you leave and if you're over weight just start culling the stuff that you can do without.

Macawber
41 minutes ago, thai2try said:

Except for this trick

All the more reason to just go with carry on I guess... or use a hard case with clasps/ snap locks rather than zips.... or plastic wrap at the terminal (if available)

Ru4Real
4 hours ago, samaus said:

There was a thread on this (or may have morphed into this) recently where I somewhat came to understand the "carry-on only" cohort. Unlike the typical bullshit we get in Aus (7Kg) other nationalities get up to 20 Kg from memory.

3 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

I've not seen that before. I'd guess that most baggage handlers are too thick to try that one

Old trick which I've had to rely on before I switched out all my padlocks for combination locks. One trip headed to Thailand via KL for a few days, lost my keys on day one in KL and like a dickhead had left the spare keys at home (normally in a sunglasses case, new sunglasses and case!). Spent the next almost three weeks unlocking with a pen.

Be aware there's likely a few girls in Patts that know the trick if they didn't beforehand 555

gmingot
2 hours ago, thai2try said:

Except for this trick

I use the cable tie method as mentioned previously. However, I use two cable ties, one to join the two halves of the zip and a second, to avoid what shown in the video, through the first cable tie loop and around a handle on the case so the zip cannot be moved.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to get in your case they can its just about making a bit of a deterent. Not that they will ever find anything of value anyway. With this method I can see as soon as  I pick my bag of the luggage belt if it has been tampered with. 

Whalley
2 hours ago, samaus said:

I'm sure my carry-on runs over the weight limit often but it's been a non-issue.

When travelling with just carry on, I've never had any airline require it to be weighed because I always avoid the checkin counter.  That's where the risk of having your carry-on bag weighed.

I checkin online or use a kiosk at the airport then then head to the gate at boarding time.  

Some will claim that they have had their bag weighed at the gate but it has never happened to me in decades of travel with just carry-on.  

There is just no time during the boarding frenzy for gate agents to be weighing everybody's carry-on bags.

thinkingallowed
1 minute ago, Whalley said:

Some will claim that they have had their bag weighed at the gate but it has never happened to me in decades of travel with just carry-on.  

So you are saying they are lying and the whole world has the same experiences as you.

In a world of low cost carriers it is more common for carry ons to be checked at the gate. Also gate checking hand luggage is becoming common now in Europe. National airlines like BA, KLM, SAS etc are selling hand luggage only fares (even to Bangkok in BA's case) and then enforcing gate checking of bags when flights are full. But I digress of course I just claim these things happen.

davidge

Never had anything go missing from checked baggage in 35 years of flying. 

A lot of the time, I didn’t even bother putting a lock on the suitcase. I use TSA approved combination locks now, and usually a lockable strap around the suitcase.

Whalley
3 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

So you are saying they are lying and the whole world has the same

Claims aren't lies are they?

I'm claiming that it's never happened to me in decades of carry-on only travel.  My nose isn't getting longer nor is my pants catching on fire as I make this claim.

Matter of fact, don't recall seeing any other passengers getting their bags weighed at the gate .

Rocketboy
1 hour ago, thinkingallowed said:

In a world of low cost carriers it is more common for carry ons to be checked at the gate

1 hour ago, thinkingallowed said:

then enforcing gate checking of bags when flights are fu

Not only low cost carriers.

At Delta we checked bags at the gate if the flight was full or not. We had a predetermined number of bags to check at the gate depending on the type of aircraft.

We made announcements as soon as we opened the gate and up until time to close jetway doors. 

The main reasons were......running out of overhead bin space, and then checking bags at the last minute which caused delays. We worked in conjunction with the Flight Attendants who would inform us when running out of overhead space.

We never weighed bags at the gate, but when you were boarding the plane, if we saw that your carry on bag did not meet size dimensions we would check it at the gate. There were sizewise boxes at each gate. If your bag fit not problem, if not we would gate check it!

Also most agents can look at a bag and tell if it will fit in the overhead bins.We always told customers to remove valuables as well as medications when we checked their bags.