IGNORED

A new phone? A new SIM?

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime that is reaching its end of useful life. The phone still works, but its crammed full and I can see an upgrade in my future.

So, if I get a new phone, can I just move the SIM into the new phone?

I'm currently hooked up with Virgin Mobile, here in Canada and would like to continue with the new phone. What must I do? I don't really want to commit to a contract or a tab for a new phone, I'd rather buy something for cash and get it working. But I'm just not sure how.

Then, will the old phone make a good mongering phone while I'm in LOS?

2 hours ago, Danolo said:

if I get a new phone, can I just move the SIM into the new phone?

Yes

>will the old phone make a good mongering phone while I'm in LOS?

Yes. Just get a Thai SIM card at the airport, at Tukcom or similar. Pre-paid may suit you, depending on length of stay and how much you use it. Usually can top up at 7-11 shops.

You will probably need to show your passport when buying the Thai SIM. Vendor will fit it for you and check all is functioning.

I'm currently hooked up with Virgin Mobile, here in Canada and would like to continue with the new phone. What must I do? I don't really want to commit to a contract or a tab for a new phone, I'd rather buy something for cash and get it working. But I'm just not sure how.

Then, will the old phone make a good mongering phone while I'm in LOS?

Yes, but if you want to keep all the apps and things set up you need to use the same Google account on the new phone as the old one. Line you have to migrate, make sure you have it set up with e-mail as a backup. Same phone number will be authorized by a message but have that backup. 

If you don't want to go on a monthly plan that pays for the phone, buy a phone anywhere (including Virgin Mobile, for cash vs. per month). As long as it meets the frequency band requirements for Virgin in Canada which is not a separate network but went from being a reseller of Bell to owned by Bell. Note old old phones were CDMA on Virgin which makes them next to useless. Yours is no doubt newer. 

As for the old phone it's nearly shite really. So little RAM it's a miracle it works anywhere. Better idea get a new dual SIM phone, one SIM for Virgin/Bell and the other for when you travel. I would not use a 1GB RAM phone anywhere you want to accomplish something the same hour. 

So check prices and if they are too high wait, go to Tukcom and get a dual SIM phone and use it and move the SIM over back in Canada. 3GB RAM minimum, and whatever internal storage you want which is a waste of top $ because they all take SD cards anyway. 

https://www.getdroidtips.com/android-9-0-pie-samsung-galaxy-grand-prime/

https://www.getdroidtips.com/unlock-bootloader-samsung-galaxy-grand-prime-plus/

If you want to bring your old phone up to date as a secondary phone.

7 hours ago, Danolo said:

If it's the same grade of phone, yes, you can. If it's a newer version you might need to call Virgin and they will send you a new sim - maybe a nano (tiny) sim. But you're old sim won't work anymore. Virgin will switch it off. You can move sims from one phone to another if it fits. I bought a 2nd hand phone from Tuctom in Patts, knocked them down a bit and asked them to get it up and running with a Thai sim, which they obligingly did. I use that phone when I'm in Thailand, switch my UK one off when I'm there.

Many of the newer phones will accept two SIM cards, but they normally use the little Nano size. Many phone shops have a cutter that will trim the larger cards to nano size.

Just a caveat when buying the twin-SIM

Make sure it can carry both SIMS AND an SD card

Some quietly inflict an either 2nd SIM OR SD card on you

Make sure it has the three distinct mounting 'trays'

36 minutes ago, regyai said:

Just a caveat when buying the twin-SIM

Make sure it can carry both SIMS AND an SD card

Some quietly inflict an either 2nd SIM OR SD card on you

Make sure it has the three distinct mounting 'trays'

That is true but but I have no need for more storage. Both my phones have 64 GB built it. I'll never come close to using all that storage. The SD card on my old Samsung failed and I lost what was on it. I trust the built in storage much further. 

My mid range Xiaomi has either two SIM cards or one SIM and one SD card. That SD card also had a problem so I just took it out. No more messages about a defective SD card.

I was aiming it at the OP  TBH

Seems though that you want to splurge on higher grade SD's (too many poor rate Chinese knock offs out there).

Thanks guys... further research needed.

Archived