Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

hardy641

No return ticket - no boarding

hardy641

There are rumours that recently airlines won't let you board a flight to Thailand without having a valid return ticket.

Spending my time between Thailand and the Philippines I buy my tickets in Thailand because the Philippines always had this requirement to have already a return ticket when entering the country. I never have been asked for a return ticket when going Thailand though.

Making things worse the return ticket must be within the 30 days you get by entering Thailand. The Philippines only require a return ticket that can be a year or more after entering.

If true I'm losing a lot of flexibility and freedom. E.x. Can't extend my stay without purchasing a new ticket. Need to know how long I will stay in Thailand beforehand.

I goggled this topic but couldn't find reliable up-to-date info. Did anybody encounter this problem when entering Thailand lately?

Kahoy

I never used to have this problem but this trip they wanted to see the return ticket for the first time. The ticket was for 50 days or so after entry so they bitched about that. I insisted that any Thai tourist visa can be extended for 30 days and after much consternation and deliberation by supervisors who were hostile and had no clue they couldn't find the solution in their guidelines so they let me board. Thai immigration has never asked me for a return ticket.

Scuba+

If it's an issue buy the cheapest ticket to a near by country, it doesn't need to be a return, just an exit

hardy641

So it is true . Big bumper

I met 2 guys yesterday who were really pissed off as they have been refused to board their flights to Thailand in Manila.
One had no return ticket and the other had a return ticket which was 40 days from day of entry.

I know Thailand have, like the Philippines, a law requiring to have a return ticket. But it never has been enforced in the 25 years I'm living here.

On one hand the Thais are whining about drops in tourist arrivals but on another they come up with such bullshit.

hardy641
If it's an issue buy the cheapest ticket to a near by country, it doesn't need to be a return, just an exit
I'm traveling frequently (6 to 8 times a year) from the Philippines to Thailand and vice versa.
I already buy 2 to 3 tickets to the Philippines that I never use. The stricter Thai regulations would require me to buy a total of 7 to 9 tickets and just bin them. Sorry but that's a waste.

Also cheap tickets to throw aren't as easy to find these days and they have to be issurd within 30 days. So you can't book promo flights long in advance as it is possible for the Philippines throw away tickets.

Scuba+
I'm traveling frequently (6 to 8 times a year) from the Philippines to Thailand and vice versa.
I already buy 2 to 3 tickets to the Philippines that I never use. The stricter Thai regulations would require me to buy a total of 7 to 9 tickets and just bin them. Sorry but that's a waste.

Also cheap tickets to throw aren't as easy to find these days and they have to be issurd within 30 days. So you can't book promo flights long in advance as it is possible for the Philippines throw away tickets.
A ticket to Cambodia would be a lot cheaper than Philippines?

bkkjunkie

sure if you have no visa - that can happen - get at least a hotel booking from anothef country or a bus ticket 

phreshprince
28 minutes ago, hardy641 said:

Making things worse the return ticket must be within the 30 days you get by entering Thailand. The Philippines only require a return ticket that can be a year or more after entering.

11 minutes ago, hardy641 said:

I met 2 guys yesterday who were really pissed off as they have been refused to board their flights to Thailand in Manila.
One had no return ticket and the other had a return ticket which was 40 days from day of entry.

Just booked my ticket going to Thailand for 40 days  (Jan-Mar) a week ago. Although I'm planning on going to Philippines within those 40 days hopefully there will not be any problems. 

thairak

I don't think this is new , about 3 years ago I took a trip to Maylasia Borneo from Los, on my return check in, at Kota Kinabalu, returning to Thailand,

I was asked for my return ticket  from Thailand to UK, and I had to produce it.

hardy641
A ticket to Cambodia would be a lot cheaper than Philippines?
These are tickets outbound from the Philippines as they have the same stupid requirement. Mostly to Kota Kinabalo.

At least for the Philippines I can buy tickets that are 6 months or more valid and use them multiple times. I need usually 2 of these ever year.

The Thais now require a return ticket that is within your 30 days stay. Thus I have to buy a throw away ticket every time I'm entering.

hardy641
Just booked my ticket going to Thailand for 40 days  (Jan-Mar) a week ago. Although I'm planning on going to Philippines within those 40 days hopefully there will not be any problems. 

That's exactly the case of one the guys I met. He wasn't allowed to board as his return ticket wasn't within the 30 days he get on arrival.

To be safe you better book your ticket to the Philippines before flying to Thailand. Which of course takes a lot of flexibility out of your trip.

hardy641
I don't think this is new , about 3 years ago I took a trip to Maylasia Borneo from Los, on my return check in, at Kota Kinabalu, returning to Thailand,
I was asked for my return ticket  from Thailand to UK, and I had to produce it.
The regulation exists for many years but never has been applied.
I'm living here since 1995 and had hundreds of flights and never been asked for a return ticket let alone be refused to board the plane

Jarrod2518
53 minutes ago, Kahoy said:

- - - they wanted to see the return ticket for the first time.

Happened to me last year flying out of Sydney with Thai Air. At first they refused to check me in. I asked to see on-duty manager and eventuality he agreed to phone up his contact at the Thai Consulate in Sydney, They confirmed my advice that you do not need to have a return ticket on arrival. They require you to have equivalent of US$2,000 which I had.

My experience is that Thai Airline check in employees are not very knowledgeable about Thai Immigration rules.    

talung66
45 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

No need to actually buy and pay for a ticket if you go to a travel agent they can book one and you have 3 days to pay for it till it is cancelled. so if you dont pay you have the paperwork that look like you have a ticket out. that what i do for my SETV .

55 minutes ago, hardy641 said:

There are rumours that recently airlines won't let you board a flight to Thailand without having a valid return ticket.

Spending my time between Thailand and the Philippines I buy my tickets in Thailand because the Philippines always had this requirement to have already a return ticket when entering the country. I never have been asked for a return ticket when going Thailand though.

If true I'm losing a lot of flexibility and freedom. E.x. Can't extend my stay without purchasing a new ticket. Need to know how long I will stay in Thailand beforehand.

I goggled this topic but couldn't find reliable up-to-date info. Did anybody encounter this problem when entering Thailand lately?

they are cracking down ANd this year i did get asked as my ticket return was 6 months away but i was in Hong kong. i showed my SETV and then said i will get a extension and had a flight to manila 90 days away .

to me it is just explain your situation at the check in  desk

55 minutes ago, Kahoy said:

I never used to have this problem but this trip they wanted to see the return ticket for the first time. The ticket was for 50 days or so after entry so they bitched about that. I insisted that any Thai tourist visa can be extended for 30 days and after much consternation and deliberation by supervisors who were hostile and had no clue they couldn't find the solution in their guidelines so they let me board. Thai immigration has never asked me for a return ticket.

yes same exactly 

19 minutes ago, hardy641 said:

The Thais now require a return ticket that is within your 30 days stay. Thus I have to buy a throw away ticket every time I'm entering.

i dont think this is fact i never have at minimum have the visa extension form printed with you and say your going to extend. or do what i suggested in first reply above. or book a hotel in cambodia that you can cancel for free and say your taking a bus there.

At the end of the day your talking to someone that had no real clue checking you in at the counter in you country of departure and is going from some guideline book. 

as all say no one at immigration asks when you actually arrive in thailand.

yes to need a ticket out but within 30 day NO.

Mr_wimpy

If you know your next stop is going to be the Philippines, can you not just book a flight going there within the 30 days.  Then once you’ve made it into Thailand, just change the date of the flight to within 60 days?  I thought the airlines let you do that for free/small charge.

hardy641
If you know your next stop is going to be the Philippines, can you not just book a flight going there within the 30 days.  Then once you’ve made it into Thailand, just change the date of the flight to within 60 days?  I thought the airlines let you do that for free/small charge.
20 years ago no problem. Maybe still possible if traveling with Thai Airways on a full fare ticket or business class.

The budget airlines like Cebu Pacific won't allow any changes and if these are often as or more expensive than buying a new ticket.

Explorer8939

Nothing new. It's an old regulation.

hardy641
Nothing new. It's an old regulation.
I know. But it was never enforced. Now it seems they are enforcing it.

regyai

It is driven by the airlines legal obligation to return you if you are refused entry for wrong visa : length of stay

So an airline gets bitten in the wallet by a recent series of such issues....the memo goes down the line.....check-in staff get the gee-up to check

Its no dark  or ominous conspiracy

LOTTELLEE WINNA
Posted (edited)

Over 5 years ago, I used to commute monthly from Bangkok - Sydney with Qantas QF23/24. I would purchase my return ticket in LoS and fly from Suvarnabhumi to Sydney. On my return leg at Sydney I always got quizzed when checking in as to why I had no return ticket....of course showing a retirement extension on my O visa I had no problem.

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

REAR_ENTRY

2 girls from my home town got refused boarding at Manchester Airport for not having a return ticket to Bangkok. They were distraught. 

Its simple. Go online 12goAsia. Before you fly. Buy a cheap bus ticket to cambodia within 30 days of your arrival and show that as your proof of onward travel. Its up to you if you take that bus journey or not ;) 

joffie

When I flew from Bangkok to Cambodia earlier this year they check in asked me for proof of return flight.  Lucky I had one, but from another airport into Malaysia.  So yes, apparently airlines can deny boarding without proof of leaving that country.

golden_boy
12 minutes ago, REAR_ENTRY said:

2 girls from my home town got refused boarding at Manchester Airport for not having a return ticket to Bangkok. They were distraught. 

Its simple. Go online 12goAsia. Before you fly. Buy a cheap bus ticket to cambodia within 30 days of your arrival and show that as your proof of onward travel. Its up to you if you take that bus journey or not ;) 

I can imagime how distraught. Imagine they had been counting down to the trip a year or so. Normal punters who are not aware of guidelines or dont read these kinds of boards are gonna be screwed.

Seen a statistic from TAT the other day, so far in 2019 Chinese tourists make up 54% of overall tourists. Us brits just 1.8%. Obviously the cost is the main factor, but, these kind of things would slice a few more off that total.

wadman

Www.Bestonwardticket.com 

Get a temporary ticket you can show to the airline if needed. For about 10 US dollars. 

jojomecanic

Yep, and Thai staff are so good at it, not long ago at swampy on a fly back, they asked me my visa for my own country, and my ticket out...

Even if my address is printed in my passport, the people at check-in counter called their superior to sort it out...