IGNORED

Connecting HND-NRT in Tokyo ????

ChiFlyer

Looking at an awards ticket, which would require a 4:50 connection between HND and NRT in Tokyo. Do they handle the luggage? All metal is on JAL. Is there a bus or train or something ? Immigration problems?

Anybody done this before?

JAL does not handle luggage between airports and I have never does it before.  There is an airport limo bus between the HND and NRT airports.  I usually take this limo bus from the airport into Tokyo.  There is also a train, but you may have to transfer.

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

Here is flyertalk link with a discussion on GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1620757-guide-all-nrt-hnd-v-v-connection-issues-questions-5.html

I've seen these flights and avoid them just because of the hassle of switching airports. I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad after doing it a few times, but I have yet to read anything online that makes it seem easy. I'm paranoid about missing a connection in the same airport, let alone transiting to another. 

Myself and a small group of passengers had to do this one year because our LAX NRT was delayed and we missed our connection. 

You AND your bags have to travel on the bus, plus you have to clear Japanese customs and immigration. 

Its a pain, and for me not worth the savings. 

Looking at an awards ticket, which would require a 4:50 connection between HND and NRT in Tokyo. Do they handle the luggage? All metal is on JAL. Is there a bus or train or something ? Immigration problems?   Anybody done this before? __________________

Here's a great article comparing the various ways to get from HND to NRT, together with prices and travel times between the 2 airports. It says that the travel time is an hour and a half to 2 hours minimum, depending on traffic and time of day. And you'll have to go through customs and immigration at both airports, plus you'll have to go through security again and you have to carry your luggage with you.

Seems like you'd be adding a lot of unnecessary extra stress to your trip, and a lot of moving parts that almost never go as planned.

https://pretraveller.com/narita-airport-nrt-to-haneda-airport-hnd-transfer/

I'm not sure if things have changed but my last domestic flight in Haneda was a nightmare to find gate. The signs made zero sense at all. The designers need to go look at their plans from an outsiders perspective. 

Anybody know if Business Class passengers get express lanes in Immigration at HND?

Decided to give this a go. Will likely go with transfer method #2, despite the increased cost, due to their 24x7 operation and door to door service.

Yes, this sounds like a pain.

Just to clarify my logic a little on this. I am older (70) and live most of the year in Jomtien.

This awards ticket is a one-way to Chicago to take of some business. This was the only AA Awards option that I saw that kept me in Business Class all the way, which my old bones much appreciate. If I was scheduling a round trip or a vacation flight to Thailand, I would not risk the timing on this connection.

I get into HND early (about 5 AM). Since it is a short trip time wise in the US, I think I can get by with a carry-on roller and a backpack only. From a previous experience I will get expedited handling for the JAL NRT piece because of being Business Class and having the second level One World status.

The awards ticket costs $56.13, so the door to door bus fare of $293 still makes the total trip economical. I imagine HND immigration moves fairly quickly at 5 AM. If things go badly and I get stuck in Tokyo for a day or so, I do not find that upsetting.

I would not recommend this routing to anyone, but it works well enough for me for this particular situation.

Thanks to all who contributed.

16 hours ago, joeaf said:

Here is flyertalk link with a discussion on GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1620757-guide-all-nrt-hnd-v-v-connection-issues-questions-5.html

Thanks for the Flyertalk link. I used to be a member 10 years or so back, but became put off by all the rah-rah talk. Just re-registered to view your link.

4 hours ago, joeaf said:

Need First Class or JAL top tier elite to get express lane at HND. Business Class and alliance elites go to the regular lane

Damn them people :)

Is there an older person express immigration line?

Archived