Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Sargon76

Is working IT Project Management a good option in Singapore

Sargon76

I am in the process of landing an IT Manager position here in the US. But maybe in 4 or 5 years I would like to relocate to SEA. The game plan is this, gain experience in the IT Mangement role, continue to get my IT certifications, also get certified in project management. I am thinking Singapore might be a good choice as I could maybe get myself relocated by a company there and be a lot closer to the places I love while still making a good salary.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Warnings? Ideas? Am I nuts (I know I am but I mean specifically relating to this)?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

farangliam

singapore is very expensive to live and you'll be paying western lad prices. As long as you get a package that covers that then it will be good. I've spent a bit of time in singapore and i've found it to be a little on the tame side, almost boring. Uber safe, no crime, cannot buy chewing gum in the city and hefty fines for eating on the mrt. It is not as welcoming to expats as it used to be, but it does have those connections to the places you love. If you get an itch there is always orchard towers, $200 (sing) ST from Ipenema. I've never been but i've heard good reviews about KL, like singapore was in the 90's before it got shit was my colleagues response when I asked about the two.

sabato

Wouldn't the salary in Singapore be a major downgrade from US? Prices in US are crazy for skilled IT workers (US$150-$200k at the hubs, which I understand to be on the low side), which is double or more for a similar position in Singapore, Australia, and gets worse in Europe.

Coming from any other country, I'd say it sounds fine.

Sargon76

I wish I was making $150k, that's for elite teir corporate jobs. $90k is pretty good pay around here. I don't mind taking a bit of a haircut to relocate. New England is very boring and Boston is very expensive, which seems to surprise many people. But yeah, I know Singapore has rep for being boring and I don't chew gum so I should be fine. Weekend trips to Pattaya, Bangkok, KL, HK can keep me working towards the weekend. Really isn't too much to keep me here, some local connections that helped me land this manager job (along with education, certifications and experience), no wife, no kids and I am rapidly approaching my mid 40's. I swore when I was younger that wouldn't waste my whole life here. Singapore seems good because it's modern and doesn't seem to have too many restrictions on people going to work there.

sabato

Have you read sammyboyforum, the SG monger board? Heaps of girls available for decent prices. As prices in Pattaya have gone up over the years, prices have remained pretty stable in SG, almost at parity for top girls. A regular of mine believes prices have even gone down at Orchard towers, but that could just be her getting older. 

I think it would be a great place to live, the only downside is that I heard the work culture can be pretty punishing.

Sargon76

I am going to have a look at Sammyboard. I figured that the work culture is tough, I wonder how much tougher it is than here. Things aren't easy here but it could be worse. Good thing I have plenty of time, no rushing, no doing anything rash, not yet anyway.

bfinkay

You'll be competing with local Singaporean and Indian PM's who are a dime a dozen

Sargon76
You'll be competing with local Singaporean and Indian PM's who are a dime a dozen
Yeah that's a bummer. Guess I will just have to up my game and get in somewhere that needs person who knows his shit as opposed to just the cheapest possible canidate. Or maybe just do something else, somewhere else. Either way I got plenty of time to figure it out.

bfinkay

Need some X factor, business PM roles are better for packaged but you'll need to have some domain experience for the org that is willing to pay for you