Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Duty Free: Do you always have to show your boarding Pass

blue1878

Most airports where I did duty free shopping did require it. They need to know where you fly to. For example if you leave from an European airport, the rules are different if you fly within or outside of the European union. 

6 hours ago, eXplosief said:

Most airports where I did duty free shopping did require it. They need to know where you fly to. For example if you leave from an European airport, the rules are different if you fly within or outside of the European union. 

Buy a bottle of water from boots the chemist and they also want to see it.

27 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

And you can politely tell them that you won't show them it.

56 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

And you can politely tell them that you won't show them it.

Maybe their tills won't work without a flight number or something? just speculating 

59 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Maybe their tills won't work without a flight number or something? just speculating 

Watch one of the videos above. For years it has been a way to collect VAT back from passenger's purchases that are flying to destinations outside of the EU. You can't buy cigs and booze without a departure card but it isn't necessarily for any other purchase in a UK airport.

wasn't that a sort of scam where if you fly outside the EU the price should be VAT free? The shops were scanning the boarding passes and claiming the money back for themselves rather than passing it on to the purchaser.

3 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

After checking in and going through security I normally go straight to the bar for a beer or two but the next time I go to T1 in Manchester I might just go to a shop for a bottle of water or something and if they ask and insist on my boarding pass I'll argue the point.  Just for the hell of it lol

They have never asked me for a boarding pass when I purchased a bottle of water or such.

On 17/07/2019 at 18:04, farangliam said:

wasn't that a sort of scam where if you fly outside the EU the price should be VAT free? The shops were scanning the boarding passes and claiming the money back for themselves rather than passing it on to the purchaser.

Exactly that.

In theory you shouldn't need to show your boarding pass. In practice the humble cashier won't be willing / able to process your transaction with out it. You can escalate the situation and ask to speak to a manager but in reality is it worth it? There are many battles worth fighting but i just don't think that this is one of them.

If this is a UK VAT scam, why do you need to show your boarding pass at BKK when buying stuff from the shops  ?

If you work at an airport airside you can even buy things like MacBooks and cameras tax-free with no boarding pass, so don't see why you have to show it when buying a bottle of water from Boots.

17 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

If this is a UK VAT scam, why do you need to show your boarding pass at BKK when buying stuff from the shops  ?

Maybe a different scam or different rules in Thailand?

10 hours ago, baggy67 said:

If you work at an airport airside you can even buy things like MacBooks and cameras tax-free with no boarding pass, so don't see why you have to show it when buying a bottle of water from Boots.

No, you cannot do this in the UK.

37 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

No, you cannot do this in the UK.

Which airport do you work at?

1 hour ago, baggy67 said:

Which airport do you work at?

None now.

I had to show my passport when I got stick mango rice in swampy airport.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

When I fly to and from Thailand I only buy from the shops once and that is to buy a bottle of duty free spirits from a Duty Free shop.  So I don't mind showing my boarding pass.

The rest of the time is spent drinking alcohol in a bar

But during my next trip I plan to buy something from a non duty free shop and see what happens.  And I will buy something from Manchester airport,  As far as I can see the shop is onto a winner with me because I will be flying outside or Europe.  So if asked to show my boarding pass I will refuse and see what happens :Clap8:

Last week on my home with a layover in ICN Seoul Korea I picked a few things to take back home as gifts.

The sales girl asked for my boarding pass. For the fun of it, I told her my friend had it and her reply was "can not sell without boarding pass".

I remember back going thru Narita/Tokyo each trip, they never asked for boarding pass even when buying a camera one trip.

I guess different rules with different airports and cities.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I have bought "exotic" Thai snacks and souvenir-type stuff at Swampy for relatives in the U.S. and haven't been asked for a boarding pass. I believe you do have to show it for booze, tobacco and perfume, i.e., goods on which there are import limits.  I'm not sure how strictly the rule is enforced, but you are not supposed to be able to buy more than the destination country allows to be imported.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Archived