Jump to content

Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

FarangKiNok

Staying off the sauce

Recommended Posts

rob63
On 04/08/2019 at 06:46, johngalt1074 said:

I am planning a trip soon and I stopped drinking in 2003, I am curious if there are AA meetings in the LOS?

The temptation to go into a bar and not drink has not been an issue for many years but it would be easier if I had sober support.

I don't recommend coming to Pattaya. The temptation to drink alcohol will almost certainly be too much. Whatever your decision, i wish you luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dh842
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:46, johngalt1074 said:

I am planning a trip soon and I stopped drinking in 2003, I am curious if there are AA meetings in the LOS?

The temptation to go into a bar and not drink has not been an issue for many years but it would be easier if I had sober support.

If you have a drinking problem Pattaya will chew you up and spit you out. Be careful bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thaidive

Gave up alcohol 5 years ago. Feel great. I order a soda in the bars. No problem. Never have to worry about DUI checkpoints on scooter.  Saved a shit load of money over the years. Girls seem to give me a little credit for not drinking, maybe scores a few extra points. But more importantly,  alcohol is pure Poison for your body. We only have one shot at this, can’t hurt to take care of yourself and stay clear minded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daryle

From 1 Jan to March each year, I eat clean, exercise hard and don't drink alcohol. Feel great to party hard for the next nine months! Done that for the last 25 years.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
7 hours ago, Thaidive said:

Gave up alcohol 5 years ago. Feel great. I order a soda in the bars. No problem. Never have to worry about DUI checkpoints on scooter.  Saved a shit load of money over the years. Girls seem to give me a little credit for not drinking, maybe scores a few extra points. But more importantly,  alcohol is pure poison for your body. We only have one shot at this, can’t hurt to take care of yourself and stay clear minded.

I know its a tired old adage but `moderation` is the key, some guys never Touch the stuff and thats fine, but most like to drink as it lowers any inhibitions and for some it makes them more sociable, you dont drink which is fine for yourself, but in a place like pattaya and other holiday resorts around the world, if people didnt drink the atmosphere would often be lacking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glen Alvis
10 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Most like to drink as it lowers any inhibitions and for some it makes them more sociable. In a place like Pattaya and other holiday resorts around the world, if people did not drink the atmosphere would often be lacking!

1] I want this response to be a comment, not to sound like a retort.  I enjoy tasty alcohol on occasion and I am no prude, but there is a certain reality that is being wall-papered over.

2] The primary function of the 'bar or drinking component' allows one an excuse to be in a setting where you display and transfer resources to a female, and/or to a business owner through a female.  The way the girls approach or get approached and what their role is changes depending in whether it is a Hooters type bar, or a beer bar, or iBar, or a Go-Go. 

3] Drinking rarely makes someone's conversation tighter, though it may generate interesting tidbits of the 'loose lips' variety.  Can we ever be truly known or truly know another has been a philosophical quandary for some time, and the anti-loneliness component of alcohol is perhaps its most sad benefit. 

4] A girl I was with asked me if I liked beer bars.  I plan to go at some point but I had not stepped foot in one at that time, so I said "Sitting on my behind engaging in useless chatter (with a femme who is likely a high school dropout) does not seem like a winning formula, maybe if she has a master's degree".  More on this topic below.

5] Drinking creates a reduced efficiency state most call 'lack of inhibition', and that state often allows progress toward toward temporarily not feeling lonely, or toward the mating goals of evolutionary biology.  I may be alone but I am never lonely, and in Pattaya I would rather go to Soi Honey and have that part of the mating ritual over in 8 seconds.

6] Most people actually spend time in a bar, not as a prelude to the mating ritual, but because they want validation & companionship they are not getting.  Maybe they want to be thought of as witty and clever, and maybe they are lonely and just crave some social interaction with women. Until a price is agreed upon and details of time and deed are specified, the person gets the rush of considering themselves sprightly and debonair.

7] Knowing your role is critical.  You are always a walking wallet... even if you think of yourself as entertainer par excellence or international man of mystery, and even if you don't consider that others might think of you as a lout or a lush.  It is an uncomfortable thought to the non-achieving that time in a bar might actually be better spent juicing and getting down to your high school weight. 

8] Beer bar revisited.  Being out at a place that serves drinks with your mates is golden.  Showing up to watch a specific game/match/fight is fine as well... but if you are sitting on your ass chit chatting with some girly, you may want to reassess parts of your life. Cutting through the baloney to spend time with beauty is a great goal:  

"Would you like to spend some time together?" is my total winning FL line.

"Would you like to go with me now?" is the beer bar version suggested by a BM. You have your answer immediately and the two of you can talk on the walk back to your place or to the taxi pickup.  If she is a bad choice then you can jettison her with some money for her time, with no beer or problematic waste of effort on your part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thaidive
On 16/08/2019 at 07:52, vimto66 said:

I know its a tired old adage but `moderation` is the key, some guys never touch the stuff and thats fine, but most like to drink as it lowers any inhibitions and for some it makes them more sociable, you dont drink which is fine for yourself, but in a place like pattaya and other holiday resorts around the world, if people didnt drink the atmosphere would often be lacking!

Not trying to be preachey. But let’s be honest. Alcohol is a drug. It’s a central nervous system depressant. It has both physical and psychological effects on the body.

most people say they drink to take the “edge” off. What is that edge? It’s your bodies reaction to some emotion caused by a thought that causes a physical response.

i get it. It’s relaxing to hang with your mates. Do  something in common you can all do and relax.

its like the emperors new clothes story. Everyone does it because everyone does it.  The moderation excuse is just and excuse. It’s still a drug, it’s still not needed for you to have a conversation with people. It’s still one of the worst things you can do to you body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apu nahasapeemapetilon
4 hours ago, Thaidive said:

Not trying to be preachey. But let’s be honest. Alcohol is a drug. It’s a central nervous system depressant. It has both physical and psychological effects on the body.

most people say they drink to take the “edge” off. What is that edge? It’s your bodies reaction to some emotion caused by a thought that causes a physical response.

i get it. It’s relaxing to hang with your mates. Do  something in common you can all do and relax.

its like the emperors new clothes story. Everyone does it because everyone does it.  The moderation excuse is just and excuse. It’s still a drug, it’s still not needed for you to have a conversation with people. It’s still one of the worst things you can do to you body.

You have got it all wrong man.

Drinking in moderation is definitely the key. I don't understand how can you not agree to this!! Anything too much or too little is not good. FYI I always drink in moderation. 

What do you do to take your edge off?

You actually think drinking a few pints or few pegs of hard alcohol is the worst thing you can do to your body?

You remind me of Rob Reiner from a South Park episode titled "butt out"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FZS1000n
Posted (edited)

I only read the OPs Q

Alcohol is the wests worse enemy. Other areas also.

It clouds judgement, causes poor decisions, makes us sick, creates dependancy and we surprisingly can enjoy life even better without it.

I personally come and go from it. Had great night on it. But know life is better without it if you cant stol at 3

 

Edited by Camtegra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crushed
16 hours ago, Glen Alvis said:

1] I want this response to be a comment, not to sound like a retort.  I enjoy tasty alcohol on occasion and I am no prude, but there is a certain reality that is being wall-papered over.

2] The primary function of the 'bar or drinking component' allows one an excuse to be in a setting where you display and transfer resources to a female, and/or to a business owner through a female.  The way the girls approach or get approached and what their role is changes depending in whether it is a Hooters type bar, or a beer bar, or iBar, or a Go-Go. 

3] Drinking rarely makes someone's conversation tighter, though it may generate interesting tidbits of the 'loose lips' variety.  Can we ever be truly known or truly know another has been a philosophical quandary for some time, and the anti-loneliness component of alcohol is perhaps its most sad benefit. 

4] A girl I was with asked me if I liked beer bars.  I plan to go at some point but I had not stepped foot in one at that time, so I said "Sitting on my behind engaging in useless chatter (with a femme who is likely a high school dropout) does not seem like a winning formula, maybe if she has a master's degree".  More on this topic below.

5] Drinking creates a reduced efficiency state most call 'lack of inhibition', and that state often allows progress toward toward temporarily not feeling lonely, or toward the mating goals of evolutionary biology.  I may be alone but I am never lonely, and in Pattaya I would rather go to Soi Honey and have that part of the mating ritual over in 8 seconds.

6] Most people actually spend time in a bar, not as a prelude to the mating ritual, but because they want validation & companionship they are not getting.  Maybe they want to be thought of as witty and clever, and maybe they are lonely and just crave some social interaction with women. Until a price is agreed upon and details of time and deed are specified, the person gets the rush of considering themselves sprightly and debonair.

7] Knowing your role is critical.  You are always a walking wallet... even if you think of yourself as entertainer par excellence or international man of mystery, and even if you don't consider that others might think of you as a lout or a lush.  It is an uncomfortable thought to the non-achieving that time in a bar might actually be better spent juicing and getting down to your high school weight. 

8] Beer bar revisited.  Being out at a place that serves drinks with your mates is golden.  Showing up to watch a specific game/match/fight is fine as well... but if you are sitting on your ass chit chatting with some girly, you may want to reassess parts of your life. Cutting through the baloney to spend time with beauty is a great goal:  

"Would you like to spend some time together?" is my total winning FL line.

"Would you like to go with me now?" is the beer bar version suggested by a BM. You have your answer immediately and the two of you can talk on the walk back to your place or to the taxi pickup.  If she is a bad choice then you can jettison her with some money for her time, with no beer or problematic waste of effort on your part.

Inevitable you think too mutt comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FZS1000n

Point 7 super cool.

my own booze intake causes me  problem time to time

 

bot intending yo patronise matey!

i just want to back in Pattaya right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CEREALKlLLER
On 16/08/2019 at 08:38, Thaidive said:

Gave up alcohol 5 years ago. Feel great. I order a soda in the bars. No problem. Never have to worry about DUI checkpoints on scooter.  Saved a shit load of money over the years. Girls seem to give me a little credit for not drinking, maybe scores a few extra points. But more importantly,  alcohol is pure poison for your body. We only have one shot at this, can’t hurt to take care of yourself and stay clear minded.

Totally agree dude

Also, when you do stop drinking for a long time after you have been a moderate or pretty frequent drinker, there is worryingly a noticable improvement in brain or mental function.

It's a little bit worrying because you don''t actually notice it when you are drinking most weeks or frequently like a lot of people do.

But you really do notice it when you stop drinking, as the brain cells that alcohol has effected over a long period of time can regenerate. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Assman80

I’ve had my own experience of a living nightmare in Thailand from drinking. Last year and into early this year I had gotten really bad with alcohol. I got to the point of every time I went out, I was drinking until I physically couldn’t go anymore. That was usually around 10-11am and I’d stumble back to my room, falling down and really hurting myself in the process a few times. I was going on binges for days and then laying in bed for days, sick as a dog. Waking up and drinking or popping Valium like candy to stave off the worst withdrawal symptoms I’ve ever experienced. I was getting heart palpitations, my blood pressure was through the roof. I had spots in my vision and even hallucinating. I’m only in my late thirties. I started wondering how long it would take someone to find me if I died in my room. I went a six month period where I didn’t even fuck one girl and was living in the biggest red light district in the world. I had depression very bad and mostly drank alone in bars. Living the dream right. I didn’t think I would last another 5 years if I continued like this. My Thailand fantasy had turned into a nightmare. I had no support in Thailand and I bought a ticket on the spur of the moment back home. I checked into an impatient alcohol treatment program for 30 days. Stayed another month after that and came back to Thailand to redeem myself. I didn’t want my last memory of a this place to be that drunken miserable life that I was living. I turn 40 next year and think sobriety is the best gift I could ever give myself. I’ve got 6 months sober now and my life is so much better. I go past a hundred bars everyday and have no desire to drink. I’ve started learning Thai, going golfing again and exercise five days a week. I look and feel a lot better. Sober sex is better than drunk sex and a year sober in Thailand will be better than a year drunk in Thailand. I have no doubt about it. I don’t knock anyone for drinking and live it up if you want. For me, moderation wasn’t possible, my brain is wired differently. It was all or nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bgtp
Posted (edited)

I’m keeping track of how much I’m drinking this trip. Some of my liver numbers, particularly bilirubin, have been creeping up these last few years. I’m not a big drinker anymore, maybe average four beers over an entire week when I’m at home. However, on vacation it was easy for me to average 6-8 beers a day.

I asked my doctor if I should quit drinking altogether and he said no, it’s alright in moderation. I’ve also noticed that as my bilirubin numbers have gotten a little higher, I feel the effects of alcohol more too. I drink one beer and it feels like I drank two. My doctor says I most likely have Gilbert’s syndrome, a mild liver disorder. On the plus side, people with slightly elevated levels of bilirubin have a reduced risk of heart disease.

I set a goal of two beers per day on this trip. I knew some days would be more and some days would be less. So far the most I had was four a couple of days, but I’ve also had some days without any. 26 days into my trip, I’m averaging 1.5 beers a day, so I’m happy. It hasn’t taken away from any of the fun I’ve been having either. Good luck to all of you trying to refrain or cut back.

Edited by bgtp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FarangKiNok
Posted (edited)

I will take steps to make sure I don’t slip too much on my September trip:

-Book a hotel in Jomtien or Pratamnak. Away from the action. Have TGs come to me.

-Not shop hard liquor at the Duty Free and stash in my suite.

-Order soda water after each beer.

-Don’t do shots.

-Don’t hook up with old friends

-Don’t drop by the African American guy on Soi 6 ( super nice guy but heavy drinker )

-Don’t drink when your arrive back at my suite by the end of the night.

-Ask housekeeping to remove minibar content.

Edited by FarangKiNok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terryofcrete
On 15/08/2019 at 14:09, rob63 said:

I don't recommend coming to Pattaya. The temptation to drink alcohol will almost certainly be too much. Whatever your decision, i wish you luck.

Stop that ! I'm an alcoholic and haven't drank for a long time. I come to Pattaya for 4 months .. different months  .. every year and have a fabulously time .. 

For the OP .. there are meetings in central Pattaya many times during the day .. they are packed with guys both ex Pat's and holiday makers... They are very well run. A street off second road .. but just Google AA and look for Pattaya.. you will get the list and location.. lovely guys and good sharing in English... Come and enjoy the ladies sober .  They will appreciate it and so will you.. all the best... Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
udontony

I know one PA member who is a recovering alcoholic and he comes for extended periods every year to Pattaya.   He seems to enjoy himself with all his friends and never drinks alcohol.  It is definitely possible to enjoy Pattaya without booze, think it just depends on the person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terryofcrete
53 minutes ago, udontony said:

I know one PA member who is a recovering alcoholic and he comes for extended periods every year to Pattaya.   He seems to enjoy himself with all his friends and never drinks alcohol.  It is definitely possible to enjoy Pattaya without booze, think it just depends on the person.

Then he’s the same as me . 4 different months a year for the 4 weeks each trip to stay inside the visa on arrival ,  and I have a great time . Sometimes I hightail it away for a week or 2 with a lady for a LLT .   There’s the AA meetings too if a guy gets a craving . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swebilbo

Yes im basicly a non drinker. just a few times every tripp. Mostkly cause i want to stay sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedydunlop

Be careful how much you drink. A mate of mine used to drink 3 pints of beer a night and killed him,he was only 97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
11 hours ago, Greedydunlop said:

Be careful how much you drink. A mate of mine used to drink 3 pints of beer a night and killed him,he was only 97

Dont know wether to laugh or cry at this, had a good innings at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geoslayer1

the second I get tipsy I stop drinking for a bit, I NEVER want to be drunk in Pattaya, EVER:Drunk:  =  :Club_fight1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.