Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

FarangKiNok

Staying off the sauce

FarangKiNok

I’m not in LoS but after a 72 hours bender at home enjoying the summer season my body broke down. It took a few days sobering up and now I feel great. Its nice waking up without the hungover sweats, feel more refreshed and up & atom. On my upcoming trip to Thailand I’m seriously contemplating not drinking. Its going to be hard but I think I can do it.

Have you ever stays sober an entire trip?

spacemonkey

Depends on your definition of 'sober'. If you mean 100% alcohol free then no, but my most recent trips I have had no more than 2 or 3 drinks in a 24 hour period. Not enough to get me drunk, but I guess you could say 'tipsy' at most.

I drank 7 cans of cider at a party a couple of weekends ago, first time I've been drunk in over a year. Was  a fun night but the following hangover has put me right off doing anything like that again for a very long time. The older I'm getting the more unbearable they're becoming.

vimto66

This comes up often, ultimately drinking is a massive part of lots of peoples holidays, nomatter where i go for an holiday i couldnt imagine not drinking, its unthinkable.

In Pattaya i dont tend to go too mad, mainly for two reasons...1st reason, waste of money paying barfines and fees to a girl if you`re shitfaced and incapable, 2nd reason..holidaying alone means i have nobody to watch my back if i drink too much and get in a pickle, i`ve done the `drinking too much` before in Pattaya and paid the price.

thai2try

My trips usually involve a fair bit of booze, but last trip i joined the gym and made sure I went every day.
I felt 100 times better. I’d still drink the same, but the sweating it out and drinking more water during the workout gave me heaps more energy rather than my usual drink/fuck/sleep routine.

Normally I’d be at a daytime bar drinking by 1pm, this time it was gym with more energy to hit the bars late arvo and then power on through the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fart sniffer

I used to be a very heavy drinker both at home and on holiday.  More or less gave up drinking about a year ago.  I have a few (less than 10 units) once or twice a month at most usually.  

My trips since then I'd say have very much improved for me.  Instead of spending all day and night in bars drinking, I spend more time fucking and sightseeing and shopping and such. I enjoy relaxing by the pool or going for a legit massage or going to some of the sky bars in bkk with company. 

Started visiting more dirty massage shops rather than bars in the daytime and just generally have a better time, idk, the bar scene sort of lost its appeal to me after only a few trips.  I enjoy the company of bargirls, and many of the things they do, but the bars for me are very boring and sort of all the same.  I rarely spend more than a couple hours bar hopping and only do it to find girls.

I still drink everyday on holiday.. but only maybe 4 or 5 beers or 1 or 2 cocktails a night average. Last trip I spent all night in a bar and got quite drunk one night, but that was it.  

So no, I've never done a trip without alcohol..  But, almost always sober, yeah.  Certainly not drunk anyway.  

Everyone is different and alcohol is a fantastic social lubricant, but when I do feel like having some fun in a bar, I feel just as comfortable doing it with a schweppes as I would with a whisky.

chris-11

Couldn't imagine the trips without alcohol, but I have the odd sober night. Alcohol certainly help to take the edge off a little. 

Don't really get crazy drunk, but have a few beers (10-12 over the day, if I start early). Staying away from mixers and any drink containing ice (just a few bad experiences around unclean ice).

FarangKiNok
13 hours ago, Fart sniffer said:

I used to be a very heavy drinker both at home and on holiday.  More or less gave up drinking about a year ago.  I have a few (less than 10 units) once or twice a month at most usually.  

My trips since then I'd say have very much improved for me.  Instead of spending all day and night in bars drinking, I spend more time fucking and sightseeing and shopping and such. I enjoy relaxing by the pool or going for a legit massage or going to some of the sky bars in bkk with company. 

Started visiting more dirty massage shops rather than bars in the daytime and just generally have a better time, idk, the bar scene sort of lost its appeal to me after only a few trips.  I enjoy the company of bargirls, and many of the things they do, but the bars for me are very boring and sort of all the same.  I rarely spend more than a couple hours bar hopping and only do it to find girls.

I still drink everyday on holiday.. but only maybe 4 or 5 beers or 1 or 2 cocktails a night average. Last trip I spent all night in a bar and got quite drunk one night, but that was it.  

So no, I've never done a trip without alcohol..  But, almost always sober, yeah.  Certainly not drunk anyway.  

Everyone is different and alcohol is a fantastic social lubricant, but when I do feel like having some fun in a bar, I feel just as comfortable doing it with a schweppes as I would with a whisky.

I envy that you have managed to give up drinking (to a large extent ) Superb willpower and values. I want to stop drinking, many things are better sober, but its hard. Thanks for sharing.

LongJohnSilver

About a month before I go, I really cut down on booze - no drinking on a work night and only a bottle of wine on the weekend. My trips are usually only five days so I’ll have one alcohol free day in between (normally day 3). Otherwise I would average 4-6 beers and same again in Samsong (but with soda water to get the fluids up). Add in a couple of Berocca a day and I can power through to 3am every night.

A good lie in followed by a 1hr run at the gym and a 2hr massage and I’m good to go again.

narcosis

I don't Realy drink most i had last trip was like 6 beers in 8 hours. With couple of bottles of water mixed in between ... Some days not a drop of booze touched my lips. And I still had a blast.

Bonus...
- cheep not drinking
- girls like a guy more that are not drunk or drinking.

Yes you will get asked why no beer? But most girls say it's good..

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

udontony

I love a cold beer or two when I am in Pattaya but the more I go there the less I drink.   I am lucky that I can enjoy myself as much drinking soda as i can with the beer.   Used to drink far too much years ago and happier now drinking much less and some nights non at all.

JohnDoesPattaya

I have not drunken any alcohol for a couple of years now (maybe i had enough the years before :Laugh1:). I don't see the problem. Instead of taking ugly girls that did look nice with beer googles on, then not being able to fuck because i am too drunk, getting a hangover and stay in bed for 10 hours and buying more and more drinks for all the new friends, mamasans, managers etc. i enjoy my holidays a lot more now. I spend less, i feel better overall, i sometimes find really nice girls when walking around the markets, i have no problem with multiple rounds of sex, it is just great. Without any doubt it was one of my best decissions to stop drinking. And no, i am thankfully not one of the "you should not do it too, it's bad for your health!"-guys, don't worry :D

davidge

I certainly drink far too much in Pattaya. When it comes to spending more time there I’ll have to adapt. At home, I can go 6 months without a drink so, hopefully, won’t be a problem.

One of my friends never drinks alcohol. Just orders a water wherever he goes. No issues in any bar or restaurant in Pattaya.

Thumper57

I have been clean an sober for 27 years Way before I discovered Thailand. I do a 4 week vacation every March in Pattaya and I meet up with a bunch of crazy bastards who are the total opposite. We rip an run every night chasing the dragon til the wee hours just about ever night. We have known each other for years and are great mates and they know and respect that I dont drink. It makes no difference to them as long as keep buying them rounds...lol

Long story short. I have a great time with guys from all around the world that I have met through these forums. The only difference is that they are shitty faced hung over in the morning and I am not. It's all a state of mind. Seems the whole world drinks and I choose not to.... no big deal really

Explorer8939

I am a failed alcoholic. I can drink large quantities of hard liquor, but I don't like to. At home, I rarely drink, I have bottles I bought years ago still sitting on the shelf.

I do drink in Pattaya, mostly to loosen up with the ladies in the bar. If I drink for more than 2 hours, I will order water for a while.

I drink straight whiskey because mixing alcohol and sugar induces hangovers.

I had to practice drinking some years ago while working in Russia. You can't do business in Russia unless you drink - a lot.

Inigo

It's difficult to stay off the booze in Pattaya, largely because of the heat. In reality, a hot drink like coffee or tea is actually more effective at cooling you down, but most of us will signal for a cooling bottle of the amber nectar when we're feeling the heat over here. It's just natural, I suppose, you're hot so you want an ice-cold drink that's fun too. There are plenty of guys living here, though, who've sworn off the demon drink for one reason or another, and they manage to stay sober, so it's certainly possible. Takes a lot of will power though.

I'd also add a warning about a well-known poster on one of the other Pattaya forums, a Danish guy living in the States by the name of Lars. He used to drink a lot but had been very moderate on the booze for several years when he was diagnosed with alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver. He's in a very bad way and trying desperately to get onto the liver transplant list. The damage from drinking too much can accumulate over time, and he seems to be evidence that even if you lay off the alcohol and behave yourself, your past can still catch up with you. I guess moderation in all things is the wisest path.

BlooBell

I used to go flat out for the duration of my trip and I realised that it started to affect my enjoyment. I got jaded and just felt tired and flat.

Now I have a day off from it every 4 or 5 days. A total rest. I don't go to any bars. Without a drink that's no fun for me as I need a beer buzz to get in to it. I spend the day getting massages and chilling at the pool and the evenings having a nice meal,  watching a box set and ordering in a TF ST or massage girl to the room.

Great way to recharge the batteries, fend off fatigue/illness and to boost the daily budget for the rest of the trip. I find one day is enough for me to regain my freshness, then I get back on it.

One of my 'days off' was actually one of the best in my recent trip. ST in the morning with a TF girl, went for a shave, a facial and a foot massage. Had some time at the pool then in the evening, went for a steak then back to the room to watch Billions and got a regular to come to the room and give me an oil massage with extras to round off the day. Fantastic. And all for under 4.5k. It shows that I can have a great time without alcohol.

So, other than the couple of times I've gotten ill, one day off the sauce is the longest I've gone in Patts. I go there for a beano and rightly or wrongly, drinking is part of that. I do make a point of sticking to beer, though, bar the very odd shot. I know if I stick to beer I never get more drunk than I want to be and my hangovers are mild.

vimto66

To add to my earlier post...although i love going out drinking in pubs and bars with friends, drinking at home dosnt interest me, i just dont see the appeal of sitting in on your own supping cans watching the telly, at home i`d much rather have a cup of tea/coffee and a biscuit, because of the shifts i work i sometimes might not go drinking for 7-10 days, its no big deal.

....but if i get a call from a mate asking if i fancy a few pints down the pub....absolutely.:wink:

Shrapple
Posted (edited)

I'm going to make an attempt to limit the sauce on my coming Sept trip. Mainly to try and maintain my weight lose, last September I went from 102kg in May 18, and got down to 84kg for sept 18 trip. Went hell for leather drinking all day n smoking a pack a day. Put back on 6kg in 2.5 weeks. Came home feeling like shit and lost all weight loss momemtum, like all my trips to Patts due to the lifestyle out there,  was up to 95kg for my Xmas/new year trip.

Come May 19 I was 102kg again! Now down to 94, with 9 weeks until my next trip, targeting 86kg for the holiday. Away for 3 weeks this time. Want to keep the weight loss going, so thinking about taking a day off drinking every second day and cut out daily afternoon Soi6 visits, plus daily gym sessions. Target not to come back feeling like shit like I always do, and keeping the weight loss momentum going. 

Edited by Shrapple

gitteyman
Posted (edited)

I can and do go on benders . both at home and in pattaya.

My way off handling my boozing . is never drink during the day.  when i go out at night. I challenge my self to how long i can drink soft drinks. Before  hitting the booze. of course.. if i have a girl with me or chasing pussy . I behave... If not fuck it i'm drinking..

Edited by gitteyman

striderman

this tuesday and wednesday should be relatively easy

Call me Alfie

I like to party like a rockstar.....but I can't recover like one :D . When I travel by myself and go out to the bars I have now perfected getting to a level of tipsy then thats it, I stop. I'm quite happy just drinking soft drinks from that point onward, I know my limits. As for not drinking booze at all, I could do that as well, I was t-total for 12 years, so no problem.  I hardly drink at all when I intend to barfine, poor performance and all that, not good. Main factor for controlling booze intake is safety, particularly when I'm out by myself.

Bob4678

This is an extremely timely thread.  Thanks.

i never drink at home but I must drink in Pattaya to loosen up to play with the girls.  I am an introvert and I had hoped to go without alcohol or at least minimize it this trip,  I have been spectacularly unsuccessful.

I have been in Pattaya for a whole six days.  Spent the first night on Walking Street until 4:00 a.m. and got so drunk that I took a nasty fall that led to messing with Tramadol.  Pictures I my ongoing trip report.  Managed to go cold turkey to kick the use and flushed about 90 Tramadol tablets down the toilet.  

Got back to normal yesterday morning only to be on Walking Street for five hours last night chasing the alcohol euphoria and free spirit feelings.  I am still hung over at 5:15 p.m.  I am 62.

Alcohol led to me spending approximately $650 USD on the first night and about $425 USD last night.  

I came to Pattaya this time to learn how to enjoy the women and the city without alcohol.  It has not worked.  I have three more weeks here to figure it out.  I have an answer but it means bringing in the big guns which I hesitate to do.

This thread gives me hope and I look to start at Kinks Friday night.  Wish me luck.  Lol.

Explorer8939

Don't mix alcohol and sugar and your hangovers will be limited.

I can drink straight whiskey all night and not have any problems. A margarita into the mix, and I am dead in the morning.

buzzkillaton

Pattaya and drinking go together like bacon and eggs.

Biennial
3 hours ago, Bob4678 said:

I have an answer but it means bringing in the big guns which I hesitate to do.

What are the big guns?