Slope shredder

Vietnam

Slope shredder

So I have read on this board that peeps from the UK do not need a visa to travel to Vietnam for less than 15 days.

My question is, is it worth it?

I do want to visit Ho Chi Minh see the sites like the VC tunnels, but is it just a waste of time?

What do other BM's think and their experiences would be great.

javasumatra
5 hours ago, Slope shredder said:

So I have read on this board that peeps from the UK do not need a visa to travel to Vietnam for less than 15 days.

My question is, is it worth it?

I do want to visit Ho Chi Minh see the sites like the VC tunnels, but is it just a waste of time?

What do other BM's think and their experiences would be great.

I was there in 2006 and really enjoyed it. I needed a visa back them, not sure now.  What have you got to lose by going there? If you don't like jump on  bus back to Thailand.

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Went with work to Vietnam a few years back, (EU fact-finding mission...aka well paid jolly LoL)...I loved it. We were based mostly in Hanoi, which is a vibrant city with a bit of nightlife - the military history museum is well worth a visit. We also undertook a short consultancy project on Cat Ba island, which is located off the stunning Ha Long Bay.

Yes, Vietnam is worth a visit.

EDB0B751-240E-403A-87D3-E711E428BB91.jpeg

6BA2A93F-03E1-4B51-9965-B5A00023B028.jpeg

79E44646-9059-4A79-9AEF-B13FDD229A6C.jpeg

0E3A3E76-2F15-435F-8D86-9914D0533954.jpeg

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

Rambuttri village

Sadly at 38 Baht to a pound and the prospects of things worsening I will be bailing on Thailand this winter. Looking at Vietnam and a quick two week visit in November to Ho Chi Minh City. If I like it then longer visits with monthly rental apartments. Not bothered about the mongering scene as have already hooked up online with a local woman. 

Few questions to ask for any BM's who have been recently.

Has HCMC and Vietnam got an equivalent of 7/11?  Love my cheap little snacks rather than expensive restaurant foods, so its just nice and convenient to nip out and get a snack any time of day/night like we do with 7/11.

Also is there the equivalent of a Big C ? Good supermarket with fresh milk, salad, fruit, cakes, bread etc.

Is it possible and easy to rent an apartment or condo for just a month like it is in Pattaya?  I don't fancy staying in an hotel for 28-30 days.

Finally love my long walks daytime around Pattaya and Bangkok. Are the streets around HCMC safe? I would imagine the traffic looks worse than Bangkok with more motor bikes on the road and the disadvantage for me of them driving the other side of the road

dnaliaht

Is it a waste of time? That depends on a lot of things. 15 days is plenty to see a lot Vietnam, so time wise it's not a waste. But it really depends on what you want out of it. If you go for mongering, you will be disappointed. It's nothing comparable to Thailand. BJ bars are the mainstay, but many can be hard to find and aren't necessarily congregated at one place in HCMC or specifically set up for Farangs. The Cu Chi tunnels aren't really all that great. I mean, it's not like it's 1975 and you're getting to tour a vast undisturbed tunnel complex. It's been heavily set up for mass tourism, so very little is original. To me it was a huge waste of time. In Saigon you can still check out the War Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, the post office, and the presidential palace in a half day since they are all close to each other. Bui vien street is worth seeing a few times at night. An over night trip to the Mekong Delta is probably the best excursion within 2 hours of Saigon other than a few beaches. Flying is so cheap in country that it doesn't make sense to drive much if you intend to head north to Danang, Na Trang, Hue, Ha Long or Hanoi. The weak dong makes everything extremely cheap. Food is good most places. Extremely safe except for the crazy traffic. Worst I've seen in SEA. 

Edited by dnaliaht

NorCalKid

I think VN is totally worth it as a tourist destination.  Good food, friendly people, cheap, etc.

I don't think VN is worth it as a mongering destination.  

Leedsmick

It’s well worth a visit yes.. I found drinking half the price of Thailand but it’s very very different on the p4p front.

Ebeneezer_goode

I was there at the turn of the year and I was highly recommend it. Very different to thailand the sex on offer is not as in your face as Thailand but still available, I dont think I saw one 7/11 which for me was a good thing, hcmc Hanoi can tho ninh binh all great places to visit 

mrbluesky

Drinks are cheap, friendliest country I've been to and the most beautiful ladies in the world. Not sure about the p4p scene. Definitely worth a visit for tourist activities though

Edited by mrbluesky

Ebeneezer_goode

Can second that opinion about the beautiful girls, i couldn't believe how attractive they were especially in Hanoi unbelievable 

Ranovertheborder

Went to Vietnam about 5 years ago it was OK but in my opinion could not beat Thailand, worth a visit though if you have never been before. 

Leedsmick
4 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Drinks are cheap, friendliest country I've been to and the most beautiful ladies in the world. Not sure about the p4p scene. Definitely worth a visit for tourist activities though

Would agree with the beautiful comment.. lots of 8s and 9s in HCM 

mrbluesky
1 minute ago, Leedsmick said:

Would agree with the beautiful comment.. lots of 8s and 9s in HCM 

Yes, even out further as well. I stayed some time in Vung Tau and cuties everywhere I went. So friendly as well. Need to go back soon for sure.

Leedsmick
31 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Yes, even out further as well. I stayed some time in Vung Tau and cuties everywhere I went. So friendly as well. Need to go back soon for sure.

Hangover bar in Vung tau was so good and cheap for drink... full night of beers/shots/lady drinks like £25 max... if P4P was better would return tomorrow.

mrbluesky
12 minutes ago, Leedsmick said:

Hangover bar in Vung tau...

Haha I remember a taxi driver "misunderstanding" where we wanted to go and ending up there on my first trip. Probably not an uncommon occurrence there.

bangna

I'm thinking of a side trip from Pattaya, 7 days split between HCMC and Vung Tau. The catamaran seems an easy method of travel.

image.png.9bd0cbd223783f00999bafa672d5e3d3.png

rise.above

My 2 cents on vietnam - Beautiful women, Excellent food on all price scales (if you are able to appreciate asian food) and the excellent saigon green. Nightlife in HCM is pretty active in the Bui vien area but not as in your face as patts. 

I myself am considering vietnam instead of patts for my next trip but........we'll see about that 

LuvAsianAss
19 hours ago, Rambuttri village said:

Sadly at 38 Baht to a pound and the prospects of things worsening I will be bailing on Thailand this winter. Looking at Vietnam and a quick two week visit in November to Ho Chi Minh City. If I like it then longer visits with monthly rental apartments. Not bothered about the mongering scene as have already hooked up online with a local woman. 

Few questions to ask for any BM's who have been recently.

Has HCMC and Vietnam got an equivalent of 7/11?  Love my cheap little snacks rather than expensive restaurant foods, so its just nice and convenient to nip out and get a snack any time of day/night like we do with 7/11.

Also is there the equivalent of a Big C ? Good supermarket with fresh milk, salad, fruit, cakes, bread etc.

Is it possible and easy to rent an apartment or condo for just a month like it is in Pattaya?  I don't fancy staying in an hotel for 28-30 days.

Finally love my long walks daytime around Pattaya and Bangkok. Are the streets around HCMC safe? I would imagine the traffic looks worse than Bangkok with more motor bikes on the road and the disadvantage for me of them driving the other side of the road

There are a growing number of 7-11’s, many Big C’s and Family Marts in HCMC, Watson’s are the latest to make the move to Vietnam. 

OldAsiaHand
20 hours ago, Rambuttri village said:

There are Big C's in both Saigon and Hanoi and, for all I know, elsewhere as well...

mmaaarrrkkk

Many here think Vietnam/thailand near near meh ...... no difference........ well think again....... its like US and Mexico .......England and France...... near near NOT THE SAME!

Well either some good points here or you shall find out so nothing to add .......

PS well maybe some...... mongering is 180 opposite! Mainly karaoke style , which falangs don't get..... or overpriced massage places........... Some clubs but like thai style G Clubs (not to be mistaken with pattaya gentlemen clubs)

Not as cheap as it used to be , besides Thailand , Vietnam has the most growth in the last 10 years so many things have shot up in prices.

HCMC roof top bars are nice but you'll be bored if alone.

Don't take the girls from the touts on motorbikes and don't take girls to cheap ST rooms. 50/50 its a setup and I don't like those odds as a tourist 

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

One hung low

Vietnam rocks, hands down some of the most attractive woman in the world. Classy gals, not trashy like Thai woman. Totally different level. They still have morals, not looking to dive into the sack with every tourist like in Thailand. 

Much better value for my money in Vietnam. Friendliest people n the world. P4p is there, out of sight for the most part, the way it should be. I get sick of walking thru the hookers everywhere I go in Thailand.

Scuba+

i enjoyed Vietnam, probably the best thing i did was the Junk boat trip on Halong bay

One hung low

Did the boat trip in halong, it was gorgeous. The moto touts were relentless trying to take me to the brothels. Day 2 I went, nice selection, think I paid $40, walking back to the Main Street I walked by a massage shop with 2 young good looking gals. Although I had just finished I chatted with them. They were happy with $20, never did make it back as I left the next day.