IGNORED

Changing Kuwati dinars to THB

paulrob

Although I have a UK passport I will in the near future be working in Kuwait and will therefore bring Kuwait currency to exchange to THB.

Do  the exchange booths/shops (e.g TT) exchange dinars to THB?

I am told the Kuwati dinar is one of the most valuable currencies in the world!

Apologies if this topic has been covered already.

P.S Any top tips for traveling from KWI to BKK (best airline etc) ?

Thanks

23 hours ago, paulrob said:

You should have no problems changing KWD'd to THB at the TT exchange booths in Pattaya. Maybe best to change a few at the airport before heading to Pattaya. A bunch of exchange booths on the lower floors heading to the Airport rail link. Don't use the normal bank booths on the arrivals level - rip off rates.

Current rate is around 101/KWD. Was closer to 110 about a year back so maybe the KWD is not so valuable after all - all currencies seem to be suffering lately against the all powerful Thai Baht!!

Don't know about Kuwait currency but I noticed a few of the booths near Nova Platinum on 2nd road / Soi 16/18 areas had signs saying no Omani currency, no rupees, no roubles will be exchanged here. Which is interesting because there are many tourists from the ME and India staying right there. How inconvenient for them. 

So maybe avoid areas with a large number of tourists from the Middle east if they are worried about having too much cash and then they want to stop changing it. Could be Kuwait not wanted next. Or UAE, who knows. 

Seems like a weird way to run an FX business, refusing money from people with mostly all that kind of money. 

I was working there for the past 3 years and was flying back and forth, I have never found a booth at the airport that would change KD for BHT, They used to do it in 2016 but stopped that year for some reason.  I used to fly via Abu Dhabi so I always changed there.  There is also one place in Jomtien that will change them for sure, Its got a blue outside to it and its near jomtien condo on the way down to the beach, I think its got a leather shop next to it.  Other than that one of the places just off or near Walking Street would be your other option, In that little area where all the Arabs seems to congregate.  You are right about the KD's strength, Its been rock solid against the Baht, I got transferred back to the UK by my company so am getting arse-raped on exchange rate now lol

On 15/06/2019 at 15:58, paulrob said:

Although I have a UK passport I will in the near future be working in Kuwait and will therefore bring Kuwait currency to exchange to THB.

Do  the exchange booths/shops (e.g TT) exchange dinars to THB?

I am told the Kuwati dinar is one of the most valuable currencies in the world!

Apologies if this topic has been covered already.

P.S Any top tips for traveling from KWI to BKK (best airline etc) ?

Thanks

Oh I just spotted the bit about airlines, whatever you do mate, DO NOT FLY KUWAIT airlines, They are fucking shite, no booze on board, terrible old planes, even the Kuwaitis don't fly with them!!

I always flew with Etihad, they had the best times coming and going, easiest to get frequent flyer status with, keep you well supplied with booze/new planes/Fine small airport in Abu Dhabi

Most importantly they fly small planes to Kuwait, if you fly Emirates its all massive planes and once you've seen the organised chaos in Kuwait international you'll thank me once you see the scrum at the Emirates check-in!!!  Etihad are normally there or thereabouts with the best prices also.

5 hours ago, FearlasMor said:

I was working there for the past 3 years and was flying back and forth, I have never found a booth at the airport that would change KD for BHT, They used to do it in 2016 but stopped that year for some reason.  I used to fly via Abu Dhabi so I always changed there.  There is also one place in Jomtien that will change them for sure, Its got a blue outside to it and its near Jomtien condo on the way down to the beach, I think its got a leather shop next to it.  Other than that one of the places just off or near Walking Street would be your other option, In that little area where all the Arabs seems to congregate.  You are right about the KD's strength, Its been rock solid against the Baht, I got transferred back to the UK by my company so am getting arse-raped on exchange rate now lol

Did you send KWD to a UK bank AC If so whats the most cost effective way to do this?

8 hours ago, paulrob said:

Did you send KWD to a UK bank AC If so whats the most cost effective way to do this?

You will have to open a KD account, I used NBK (national bank of kuwait) in Ahmadi,  Then just transferred it every month.  I think they have stated taxing any transfers over 500 KD or they were talking about when I left anyway.  NBK were pretty good, never had any problems with them.  When you go to open you're account make sure you get your employer to issue you with a salary certificate, They will not open an account without it.  Once you've opened the account get them to register you for internet banking inside the branch then away you go.  To online transfer every month it costs about 9 KD and you can transfer  up about 7 grand sterling, If you need to do more then also ask at the bank to increase the transfer limit and they will make you fill out a form.  So to open an account you will need to take a salary certificate, you're passport or a copy with also a copy of you're visa.  If you're passport is in for your residence cert then just tell them that you will give the a copy when you get your passport back, They are ok about this.

For holiday money you’re best to buy USD in Kuwait and bring that to Thailand. The Thai money changers will give you a better rate with USD than KWD. As KWD is pegged to USD you shouldn’t be paying any commission in Kuwait (or no more than 0.5% if that).

If price is important than Oman Air are one of the cheapest airlines to BKK. Decent airline and much better than Kuwait Air. Otherwise Emirates is best, followed by Qatar (not sure if embargoed by Kuwait still), Etihad, Gulf Air and then the others.

Good luck in Kuwait, it’s dry and no Dubai!

• 3 weeks later...

Stop at one of the many iranian run forex shops in Kuwait. They're often clustered together in certain commercial areas. Ask around to find the best rates. They'll be the cheapest USD you can buy.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

When I was working in the middle east for many years and making round trips to BKK from Dubai, my favorite airline was Emirates, and flew it several times and no complaints. I also flew Qatar and Gulf Air. No complaints with either as well. 

If you can get good deals on round trips on any of those three out of Kuwait, I would say you made a good choice. 

Archived