Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Airconditioning

Randomrobot

Hi all, 

Just wondering what your experiences have been with hotel airconditioning quality in Pattaya?

The hotel I stayed at last time was good except the aircon had a damp/mildew sort of smell. I hoped it would go away but it didn't . As it was a short stay I didn't bring it up with the hotel. But also I figured the other rooms would be the same. 

Is this typical or should I have asked for another room? Sorry if it sounds like a whinge. 

I have no direct experience with something like this. However maintenance in general and cleaning of airco units is not seen often in a Thai dictionary.

Ask for a different room. Wish we could at least Lysol the a/c unit, but that wouldn't help much. Don't be afraid to point out broken sh!t.

Good AirCon is a necessity in Thailand.  32+ and 75% humidity can make long walks dangerous for people not used to it... not even mentioning the terrible pollution.  

You need to get out of the heat and the AC filters some of the pollution out, this is a necessity here.

At first notice of a AC unit not working properly let them know immediately that they fix it or give you a new room.  I've changed rooms due to a bad AC.  Non-negotiable in a blazing hot country.

A guy stayed at my guesthouse was an AC fanatic and requested the AC be cleaned before he checked in. They did and you could request the same at your hotel, maybe they will do it maybe they won't.

My previous hotel when i checked in i cleaned the filter in the shower, i then caught 5 back to back colds

I prefer not to use it anyway, its healthier but at night i put it on for 10 mins every now and again

A/C is very important to me wherever I go in SE Asia and if its not working properly, I always raise my concerns.

I stay generally in rooms around 1000bt per night or so. so not expensive places

The main problem I find is when the AC is running, but its not actually cooling the room. I have a small thermometer I travel with which is very useful in proving this

Apparently this is a problem when the gas in the AC unit runs out, and if you mention this, reception normally knows what you mean, although they often say nobody has mentioned this before.

I have smelt the dampish type smell before, not often, but don't know what causes this

Most hotels in Thailand use the same type of AC/heat pump units. The filter in these is easy to access and clean and put back in. One of the first things I do after I check into the room is clean the filter myself. I can do it in less time that it takes to call the desk, communicate that it needs to be cleaned and expect a response. It literally takes me less than ten minutes to clean them myself. After I pop out both filters, which 99% of the time I have observed were completely covered with dust and dirt and needed cleaning long before, I wash them down in the shower with hot water, shake the water off, and pat them dry with some toilet paper. Pop them back in, turn on the AC unit. That's all it takes. The AC unit runs more efficiently, cools down better and you're not breathing in those allergens and dust/dirt. 

Some things like that are just better to do yourself. 

5595_large.jpg.24ed6f889c1110b6fcad0e6d294f4cc1.jpg

11 hours ago, Mr. Majestyk said:

Most hotels in Thailand use the same type of AC/heat pump units. The filter in these is easy to access and clean and put back in. One of the first things I do after I check into the room is clean the filter myself. I can do it in less time that it takes to call the desk, communicate that it needs to be cleaned and expect a response. It literally takes me less than ten minutes to clean them myself. After I pop out both filters, which 99% of the time I have observed were completely covered with dust and dirt and needed cleaning long before, I wash them down in the shower with hot water, shake the water off, and pat them dry with some toilet paper. Pop them back in, turn on the AC unit. That's all it takes. The AC unit runs more efficiently, cools down better and you're not breathing in those allergens and dust/dirt. 

Some things like that are just better to do yourself. 

5595_large.jpg.24ed6f889c1110b6fcad0e6d294f4cc1.jpg

I have done something like this back in the day with some window AC's before and it really is that simple

2 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Think I'll give that a try on my next trip as well

Make it quick it will 35Baht  /GBPbefore you know it.

19 hours ago, Pheat said:

Make it quick it will 35Baht  /GBPbefore you know it.

Thats why only 10 days of my annual 7 week  in Jan/Feb 2020 trip will be in Thailand

Archived