Christo69

Cheap flights USA to BKK

Explorer8939

Any cheap flights USA to BKK?

Luv2Phuket
1 hour ago, Explorer8939 said:

Any cheap flights USA to BKK?

Depends when and where and what you consider "cheap".

Many bloggers recommend using Google Flights to search for good airfares.  I have used it and Kayak, but primarily fly using miles.

dnaliaht
On 14/12/2019 at 02:45, mikeonabike said:

Had a flight LAX to BKK on Expedia for $160.00 about 10 years ago. Turned out it was a mistake (saw an online news story about it). Expedia/airline honored the fare.

Can get a Chinese airline LAX to BKK for about $450 if book in advance. Paid $520  Chicago to BKK on ANA this trip. Has a long layover in Tokyo that works fine for me, stayed overnight in a "deluxe" capsule room. Did the last 7 hours to BKK the next morning. 

I watched ANA flights for 6 months and could never find a round trip for around $500 that didn't require an airport switch between Narita and Haneda. Wouldn't mind going ANA if they would just use the same airport. I guess that's why the flights were cheaper for these legs and the $800 flights didn't require a switch. When you factor in the airport transfer limousine,  capsule hotel costs, and layover time, it's really not worth it to me for what they were offering. 

Edited by dnaliaht

Luv2Phuket
I watched ANA flights for 6 months and could never find a round trip for around $500 that didn't require an airport switch between Narita and Haneda. Wouldn't mind going ANA if they would just use the same airport. I guess that's why the flights were cheaper for these legs and the $800 flights didn't require a switch. When you factor in the airport transfer limousine,  capsule hotel costs, and layover time, it's really not worth it to me for what they were offering. 

More flights from USA will be going into Haneda in the coming months, as a lot of slots have been opened.

No idea if this will impact ANA. Hell, it could make it worse! 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeonabike
1 hour ago, dnaliaht said:

Yes, you have to watch for the airport switch. I found my flight on google flights, then moved over and booked with ANA direct.  Seemed only one specific outbound day had the flights at the lower price. Found it using the google grid dates, with only ANA selected as the airline. 

I don't want to switch airports but the layover times (both outbound/inbound) worked great, arrived evening in Tokyo, left at reasonable times the next morning. I take 3 to 4 month trips to Thailand/Philippines. One extra night in Tokyo is a blessing. Prefer to get a good nights sleep, shower and break up the long travel. 

I love ANA, their fleet seems old but otherwise all good. Until not too long ago you could select a extra leg room emergency row seat for free. Now have to pay but only a very reasonable $55.  So I book the $55 extra leg room seat (for the long ORD/Tokyo segment), stay overnight in Tokyo. Show up in Bangkok feeling fairly fresh and ready to go.

My "deluxe" capsule was a very small private room (shared, super clean bath) cost $44 usd,  $2.30us (250y) for the train (each direction) to the hotel.  I found another one with good reviews, I will try on the way back for $24.

th_557500468_HI407852465_122_1017lo.jpg

Capsule Inn Kamata, 5 Chome-20 Kamata, Ota City, Tokyo, Japan

Edited by mikeonabike

javasumatra
9 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

More flights from USA will be going into Haneda in the coming months, as a lot of slots have been opened.

No idea if this will impact ANA. Hell, it could make it worse! 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never flown ANA but have flown JAL a few times and always, always made sure to avoid the NRT<>HND switch.

We are heading to Thailand (Bangkok, Phitsanulok and Pattaya) in July and right now ANA are doing ORD-HND-BKK-NRT-LAX-ORD (All ANA metal except for LAX-ORD which is on a UA 757) for $1295 in PE.  If you want to fly BKK-HND-ORD on the way back, the price jumps to ~ $2500.

EVA are doing  ORD-TPE-BKK return same dates for $1503 in PE. I'd like to try ANA but I think I might pay the extra to go with EVA and avoid the LAX connection and the transcontinental UA trip. 

I am holding off booking for now as I am hoping that CZ might come up with a deal in J via WUH. I've hearda lot of bad stories about Chinese mainland connections and although I have only done one return trip via China, There was no hassle at all going via Wuhan. The airport was a ghosttown.

Edited by javasumatra

slashlarue
20 hours ago, dnaliaht said:

From NYC you can go without having to switch airports.