Christo69

Cheap flights USA to BKK

jonEE
On 12/06/2019 at 03:06, vivalv2001 said:

Might want to take a look at the frequent flier points games boys (credit card bonus hustling, etc).   Takes some organizational skills and financial discipline to play the credit card game but the juice is well worth the squeeze. 

I've flown Biz, or First, EVERY trip to Thailand on points since I started going almost a decade ago.   Usual cost is about $50-$100 in taxes or fees.  

Do you lean on one particular card after the sing-up bonus, or just continually get new cards for new bonuses? I have a bunch of points spread around between delta, American, and united, but it seems that united give me the best bang for my buck(mainly availability to book with miles, with no blackout dates like crappy American).

I have been toying with the idea of getting the chase Safire reserve for the lounge access, but pricy annual fee.

The Danimal
34 minutes ago, jonEE said:

I actually like that flight... Big TV's in the seats, free wifi, and the seat pitch has to be somewhere around 33" and comfortable. I don't mind the transfer in Shanghai either.. I usually get through in about half an hour. The food does kinda suck though

Not to mention I've seen it as cheap as $425 bucks RT. 

Yes...my biggest beef with it is the shitty food and drink options in Shanghai...not to mention the cocksucker security guys that took a 1 ounce snow globe from me last trip

vivalv2001
7 hours ago, jonEE said:

Do you lean on one particular card after the sing-up bonus, or just continually get new cards for new bonuses? I have a bunch of points spread around between delta, American, and united, but it seems that united give me the best bang for my buck(mainly availability to book with miles, with no blackout dates like crappy American).

I have been toying with the idea of getting the chase Safire reserve for the lounge access, but pricy annual fee.

I generally whore myself from new offer to new offer but this year I've stopped applications so I can get under Chase's 5/24 rule and start getting their cards again.    

I've been putting spend on my American Express Delta card but that's to hit the $25K amount so I don't have to worry about their ticket spend requirement to earn Medallion status. 

Glen Alvis
Posted (edited)

I live in Florida, and have 4 recent trips/planned

Trip 1 - Orbitz - $600 - April 2019 - LAX to BKK - Philippine Airlines.  Great flight, connection in Manilla was awful.

Trip 2 - Orbitz - $610 - Sep 2019 - IAD to BKK - United/ANA.  DC to Tokyo NRT to BKK

Trip 3 - Orbitz - $650 - Jan 2020 - LAX to BKK - American Airlines/JAL.  DC to Tokyo HND to BKK

Trip 4 - American Airlines - $800 - May 2020 - MIA to BKK - American Airlines/JAL.  Miami MIA to Dallas DFW to Hong Kong HKG to BKK.

Some time in Los Angeles is great for me, but I felt lucky to get two of the flights closer to home.  Usually it was at least double the cost to go from anywhere on the east coast.  For those two east coast trips literally it was sort of a gut feeling that prompted me to check.

Edited by Glen Alvis
mistake

PatPow
18 hours ago, Glen Alvis said:

Trip 1 - Orbitz - $600 - April 2019 - LAX to BKK - Philippine Airlines.  Great flight, connection in Manilla was awful.

Trip 2 - Orbitz - $610 - Sep 2019 - IAD to BKK - United/ANA.  DC to Tokyo NRT to BKK

Trip 3 - Orbitz - $650 - Jan 2020 - LAX to BKK - American Airlines/JAL.  DC to Tokyo HND to BKK

Trip 4 - American Airlines - $800 - May 2020 - MIA to BKK - American Airlines/JAL.  Miami MIA to Dallas DFW to Hong Kong HKG to BKK.

Some time in Los Angeles is great for me, but I felt lucky to get two of the flights closer to home.  Usually it was at least double the cost to go from anywhere on the east coast.  For those two east coast trips literally it was sort of a gut feeling that prompted me to check.

I live in Florida too,  some good prices but you had to buy a flight to the departure airport and that increase the cost,  after you factor that flight in did you still save more then just departing from your the closest major airport to BBK?  

Luv2Phuket

This blog post highlights some ABSURDLY cheap fares to Asia:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/08/06/asia-fare-war-several-u-s-cities-to-several-asian-destinations-from-305-roundtrip/

Bangkok is not specifically mentioned, but the lower fares to connecting cities may mean lower fares for overall routes.

sulu
Posted (edited)
On 06/08/2019 at 04:01, Glen Alvis said:

How did you get from South Florida to LAX, DC & IAD ?

Edited by sulu

Glen Alvis
Posted (edited)
On 06/08/2019 at 22:10, PatPow said:

How did you get from Florida to LAX, IAD ?

I live in Florida too,  some good prices but you had to buy a flight to the departure airport and that increase the cost,  after you factor that flight in did you still save more then just departing from your the closest major airport to BBK?  

1] Flying from Orlando or Tampa or Miami or Atlanta to BKK was usually at least double ($1,200-1,500) the cost, and $400-600 more expensive than getting myself to the departure city.

The flights from Orlando/Tampa/Miami to DC or Los Angeles added about $200-300 to the round trip cost (including car rental or Lyft) with careful shopping.  Southwest is good with their two bag allowance, which lines up well with the international allowance.  I also fly American, because I have good experience with them, and they have non-stop flights to LAX from TPA/MCO/MIA.

I love to travel so I plan 1-5 days in the departure city to visit, and secondarily for any BKK flight contingencies.  The BKK trip is also a great excuse to visit another city, and especially good to leverage all that time in the air to visit the west coast.  It feels like/seems like/ actually is.... 2 vacations for 1.

The main benefit for me in splitting up my departure points was getting a quality airline and a highly rated flight.  I am happy to dump all over Manila though.  I will go out of my way not to transit through there again.  3-4 times through security for one flight boarding, after already being inside the terminal, security again/every time if you needed to use the bathroom... 2-3 other indignities as well...insane.

I will just be driving to Miami to catch the MIA-BKK flight, which will be nice.  I have done that when going to France, as going Miami to Paris directly is a great flight....less time in the air, no transfrers...just fewer failure points.

Edited by Glen Alvis
2nd question

Glen Alvis
On 11/08/2019 at 21:41, sulu said:

How did you get from South Florida to LAX or IAD ?

Southwest's 2 free check-in bags is a good pairing with your international travel baggage.  I also gave a longer answer above.

Luv2Phuket

I’m sure you are well-versed on the options and routes, but is JetBlue from Fort Lauderdale to Long Beach an option to set up LAX travel?

Factor in that you will need decent fare savings to cover the cost of an Uber from Long Beach to LAX.

I greatly prefer Long Beach airport to LAX, but live very close to LAX and the Uber/parking costs at Long Beach make it far less viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glen Alvis
7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

is JetBlue from Fort Lauderdale to Long Beach an option to set up LAX travel?  I greatly prefer Long Beach airport to LAX, but live very close to LAX and the Uber/parking costs at Long Beach make it far less viable.

I like Venice and Santa Monica so I usually base myself there after a LAX arrival.  I had never considered Long Beach. 

When going from central Florida (Orlando/Tampa) to Miami you can make it a great back roads day trip.... or a miserable interstate 'commute'.

With your mention of this option, I certainly would fly into Long Beach in order to rent a car and have a day trip through the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Redondo Beach.

sulu
8 hours ago, Glen Alvis said:

1] Flying from Orlando or Tampa or Miami or Atlanta to BKK was usually at least double ($1,200-1,500) the cost, and $400-600 more expensive than getting myself to the departure city.

The flights from Orlando/Tampa/Miami to DC or Los Angeles added about $200-300 to the round trip cost (including car rental or Lyft) with careful shopping.  Southwest is good with their two bag allowance, which lines up well with the international allowance.  I also fly American, because I have good experience with them, and they have non-stop flights to LAX from TPA/MCO/MIA.

I love to travel so I plan 1-5 days in the departure city to visit, and secondarily for any BKK flight contingencies.  The BKK trip is also a great excuse to visit another city, and especially good to leverage all that time in the air to visit the west coast.  It feels like/seems like/ actually is.... 2 vacations for 1.

The main benefit for me in splitting up my departure points was getting a quality airline and a highly rated flight.  I am happy to dump all over Manila though.  I will go out of my way not to transit through there again.  3-4 times through security for one flight boarding, after already being inside the terminal, security again/every time if you needed to use the bathroom... 2-3 other indignities as well...insane.

I will just be driving to Miami to catch the MIA-BKK flight, which will be nice.  I have done that when going to France, as going Miami to Paris directly is a great flight....less time in the air, no transfrers...just fewer failure points.

You really should have said all that in the first place. Especially the part about where you like to spend some time in each of those cities before moving on to BKK. Most travelers go from one point to the other.

Add to that, besides the costs of the flight TO LAX, IAD, etc., there are costs involved in getting from wherever you live to Orlando or Tampa or Miami or Atlanta.

There are plenty of flights RT from MIA to BKK for under $1,000. $737 from United is currently the best I've found for now until the end of the year. This is via Kayak however, one should always check the airline's site itself as there may be lower prices there OR a better flight selection for the same price.

Glen Alvis
1 hour ago, sulu said:

You really should have said all that in the first place.  Most travelers go from one point to the other.

Add to that, besides the costs of the flight TO LAX, IAD, etc., there are costs involved in getting from wherever you live to Orlando or Tampa or Miami or Atlanta.

There are plenty of flights RT from MIA to BKK for under $1,000. $737 from United is currently the best I've found for now until the end of the year.

1] Thanks for the MIA-BKK reference.  That option was much more expensive when I was booking my first two trips.

2] Since the thread was cheap flights from the USA, and not from Florida, I gave what I had found and booked, in case it was of use to people in those areas, for those time periods.

3] When asked for more Florida details, I gave the estimates of my domestic travel costs, and how they compared to what I saw online, given the times of year I went or plan to go, which often makes a huge difference.  It didn't save me money over your Miami price but it saved me a significant amount over the prices I saw at that time.  I could always wait to book hoping for a better deal, but I prefer far in advance if possible.  The money I saved for the most part funds my domestic excursions prior to the BKK flight.

4] I am sure you are a type of seasoned expert, but I have actually found that most people would rather not just go from one point to another for leisure travel, BUT to the extent it does not happen for the average traveller, it seems most people want the multi-visit outcome, but they don't seem to have that much imagination or travel experience, and they view the extra planning not with joy, and they fail to consider options like Airbnb or changing their dates....hence they miss out on the experiences I have.  I am constantly befuddled by the choices of others.... then again I spent much of the last three years travelling domestically, when I could have been in Thailand for twice the time, for the same money... if I had known better, and had mongering as my mission.

sulu
26 minutes ago, Glen Alvis said:

1] Thanks for the MIA-BKK reference.  That option was much more expensive when I was booking my first two trips.

2] Since the thread was cheap flights from the USA, and not from Florida, I gave what I had found and booked, in case it was of use to people in those areas, for those time periods.

3] When asked for more Florida details, I gave the estimates of my domestic travel costs, and how they compared to what I saw online, given the times of year I went or plan to go, which often makes a huge difference.  It didn't save me money over your Miami price but it saved me a significant amount over the prices I saw at that time.  I could always wait to book hoping for a better deal, but I prefer far in advance if possible.  The money I saved for the most part funds my domestic excursions prior to the BKK flight.

4] I am sure you are a type of seasoned expert, but I have actually found that most people would rather not just go from one point to another for leisure travel, BUT to the extent it does not happen for the average traveller, it seems most people want the multi-visit outcome, but they don't seem to have that much imagination or travel experience, and they view the extra planning not with joy, and they fail to consider options like Airbnb or changing their dates....hence they miss out on the experiences I have.  I am constantly befuddled by the choices of others.... then again I spent much of the last three years travelling domestically, when I could have been in Thailand for twice the time, for the same money... if I had known better, and had mongering as my mission.

1) You're welcome

2) Yes, this is about cheap flights from the USa but you prefaced the fares you posted with "I live in Florida" thus opening up this part of the discussion.

3) So long as you saved money and are happy with the savings, good on ya mate.

4) Hardly a seasoned traveler but I have been around a bit. Nevertheless, while most people would LOVE to do more than go from point to point the sad(?) fact of the matter is it is not due to lack of imagination or time needed to make arrangements but the lack of time and/or money to skate from place to place

I daresay most vacationers have a set amount of time available. And having multiple stops on their trips is usually not very practical.

You're very lucky you can do that. Again, good for you.

robert6996
14 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I’m sure you are well-versed on the options and routes, but is JetBlue from Fort Lauderdale to Long Beach an option to set up LAX travel?

Factor in that you will need decent fare savings to cover the cost of an Uber from Long Beach to LAX.

I greatly prefer Long Beach airport to LAX, but live very close to LAX and the Uber/parking costs at Long Beach make it far less viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fly into and out of LGB quite often using both Southwest and Jet Blue. It's a easy airport to use. You just need to avoid the rush hour traffic on the freeway.

You need to factor in the cost of check in bags with Jet Blue, as they charge per bag. Southwest still has the 2 free check in bags.

Add in the cost for Uber to LAX and time to go from LGB to LAX, especially during rush hour on the 405.

I don't think you would find a fare cheap enough to make it worth while.

toli
On 11/06/2019 at 18:52, Christo69 said:

My all time record airfare flight from New York To Bangkok was $510usd  back in the 90's on ANA.

I just now booked a flight on China Southern thru expedia $532.

Now the flight departs at 3:00am but guys we will never see these prices again

I've seen this price and lower (as low as 425-455 and almost ALWAYS can be had for 500-550) for the last 4-5 years on one of these Chinese Airlines.  Personally  (and based on experience) I would rather pay another 100-150 more and fly one of Asiana, Cathay Pacific, Korean air, Emirates depending on which one of these is closest to the lowest price that is being offered.  This is strictly for the JFK-BKK route which I have flown many times with Asiana being fist choice.

GeneralK

Air China out of Newark, $475

misterdobalina

I have flown EVA Cathay Pacific, China Air and korean. I liked the service and food best on Korean,

but got a little nervous about trigger happy trump at a long stop over in ICN. Cathay stops in HK,

and now political  instability makes HK a no go for me. The stop over at Taipei is great on EVA.

My SF- BKK round trip this time is about $600 for the 1:00 am flight already discussed, which goes for 

about $1000 in January. I look for the shortest stop overs so the 5:00 return works well from bkk.

To sum it up, EVA, booked through hotwire has been a winner, and just like anything else, is cheaper in low season.

Luv2Phuket

Good RT fares in Premium Economy on ANA, as detailed in this blog post - LAX, Newark, and Chicago ORD to Bangkok for around $1125 to 1175 roundtrip:

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/us-to-asia-premium-economy/

Kickoff
Posted (edited)
On 22/08/2019 at 21:47, misterdobalina said:

To sum it up, EVA, booked through hotwire has been a winner, and just like anything else, is cheaper in low season.

EVA is great. Their business class is superb. That 1AM flight is nice as you can just sleep for about 6 to 8 hours depending on your sleeping habits and sensitivity.

Edited by Kickoff

misterpants

I just want to thank everyone for all the useful info. I can't stand being uncomfortable on a plane, so it's great to hear everyone's experiences.

Thanks!