Christo69

Cheap flights USA to BKK

bigmac9899

I fly EVA airlines exclusively now, out of Chicago.  Sometimes I've been able to grab an economy flight for $710.  This time however with it being vacation season in the USA, the coach fare coming back on the flight I needed, was only $40 less than Premium Economy, so I booked Premium Economy.

Total flight cost was $1300.  Bringing my Fiance back with me and her round trip from bkk to USA  and back was $1800.  So booking from Thailand is considerably more expensive, but I love the midnight departures, as I can work that day, and I land at 11am.  Perfect scheduling for me.

narcosis

Yeah but now eva charges for seat selection for premium... Lol worth 100 not to be stuck in middle and get my isle.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

javasumatra
8 minutes ago, narcosis said:

Yeah but now eva charges for seat selection for premium... Lol worth 100 not to be stuck in middle and get my isle.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I like Eva and was just about to pull the trigger on a PE flight until I saw the seat charge. I booked with JAL instead. I hate being nickel and dimed.

Crash6969
I like Eva and was just about to pull the trigger on a PE flight until I saw the seat charge. I booked with JAL instead. I hate being nickel and dimed.

A seat charge for Premium Economy? I fly EVA too ....not seen that ...yet. That’s a crappy biz model if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javasumatra
1 hour ago, Crash6969 said:

A seat charge for Premium Economy? I fly EVA too ....not seen that ...yet. That’s a crappy biz model if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see in the attachment. The basic premium economy fare charges for seat reservation in PE, ORD-TPE is $40 each way and TPE-BKK $15 each way. I've switched to JAL.

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 19.23.25.png

Luv2Phuket
On 11/06/2019 at 18:08, The Danimal said:

China Southern I have had major issues on the connection....China Eastern is legit though and has many times out from LAX...if you can deal with Mr. Tom Bradley

I never understand the hate that the Bradley Terminal draw.  Post-renovations (2010), I think it is a damn nice terminal, and I have traveled through SIN, HKG, ICN, TPE, DOH, NRT, HND, and many others. 

Lots of (over-priced) food options and some good lounges (Star Alliance and oneworld are nice; Sky Team sucks ass)

On 12/06/2019 at 03:06, vivalv2001 said:

Might want to take a look at the frequent flier points games boys (credit card bonus hustling, etc).   Takes some organizational skills and financial discipline to play the credit card game but the juice is well worth the squeeze. 

I've flown Biz, or First, EVERY trip to Thailand on points since I started going almost a decade ago.   Usual cost is about $50-$100 in taxes or fees.  

Agree 110% - it's been my plan for years now, I travel business or first class, and I still have a treasure trove of miles and hotel points waiting to be used (I was at just over 2 million before I booked a trip at the last minute earlier this month).

As you say, it takes organizational skills and discipline, but WELL worth it.

On 14/06/2019 at 18:06, Explorer8939 said:

The West Coast trip to BKK is certainly the shortest via Taipei. The trick is to get Status, so you can hang out at one of the lounges during the stopover in Taipei.

The only downside is that Taiwan is really boring, so there is no purpose in arranging a longer stopover there.  I have had Thai ladies ask about travel to Taiwan, but I would be at a loss to do more than one day of tourism there. Trust me, I have tried it.

...or get a credit card that offer Priority Pass lounge access - tons of options at most airports.

metter2009

Just booked ANA out of Chicago for November. 587.00 USD. 

The Danimal
2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I never understand the hate that the Bradley Terminal draw.  Post-renovations (2010), I think it is a damn nice terminal, and I have traveled through SIN, HKG, ICN, TPE, DOH, NRT, HND, and many others. 

Lots of (over-priced) food options and some good lounges (Star Alliance and oneworld are nice; Sky Team sucks ass)

I think parts are very nice...but there are still some shitty ass gates/areas...like the Mexican gates.  I don't hate the terminal per se....more the delays and cancellations I have encountered there...still not as bad as SFO IMO.

Luv2Phuket
6 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

I think parts are very nice...but there are still some shitty ass gates/areas...like the Mexican gates.  I don't hate the terminal per se....more the delays and cancellations I have encountered there...still not as bad as SFO IMO.

LAX as an airport sucks ass right now because of all of the construction.  The worst Terminal for automobile traffic is probably Terminal 4, because you have to go all the way around, past Bradley to get to it (but Bradley is a close second).

If you get one of the shitty remote gates at Bradley, that really sucks.  I had that with Singapore - you sit in some "holding area," then they bus you to the actual gate.  Not a pleasant experience and the holding area sucked.

Mnvikesfan

Just booked ANA out of LAX to BKK round trip for $523 in February. I’ve never booked this early before. It’s $200 cheaper than last years flight!

Gogosenpai

I envy you guys on the coasts. I live in Texas so my flights are always around $1200 for a one stop flight. I love Korean Air but they charge $1500 recently when I book 

dnaliaht
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gogosenpai said:

I envy you guys on the coasts. I live in Texas so my flights are always around $1200 for a one stop flight. I love Korean Air but they charge $1500 recently when I book 

Economy? A quick search of Google flights shows ANA one stop flights from lAH to BKK for $558 in November. Starting in December though the prices skyrocket and going through LAX first is the cheaper option even with more stops. 

Edited by dnaliaht

Gogosenpai
1 hour ago, dnaliaht said:

Economy? A quick search of Google flights shows ANA one stop flights from lAH to BKK for $558 in November. Starting in December though the prices skyrocket and going through LAX first is the cheaper option even with more stops. 

Going in August, but I've never seen them that low when I search Kayak

bluebluewater

I just booked a one way back to the Confederate America in September (I'm leaving Thailand after many years as I'm not willing to jump through the hoops that are now B4 us) and the best I could do was $950.  Korean Air is my favorite but it was closer to $1,200.

It's a ball ache of a trip as there is no easy way to get there and takes about 30 hours + from door to door.  

Explorer8939
1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

I just booked a one way back to the Confederate America in September (I'm leaving Thailand after many years as I'm not willing to jump through the hoops that are now B4 us) and the best I could do was $950.  Korean Air is my favorite but it was closer to $1,200.

It's a ball ache of a trip as there is no easy way to get there and takes about 30 hours + from door to door.  

I am looking at prices of a one way return to the USA from SE Asia. Also, maybe buying a round trip returning in November, but I don’t want to have a flight terminating in a chilly place like Taiwan or Tokyo. So, maybe it’s better to do a one way return now, and then book a round trip from the USA to BKK in November.

sulu
6 hours ago, Gogosenpai said:

Going in August, but I've never seen them that low when I search Kayak

Kayak is pretty good but doesn't get all the airlines best flights, times and fares so you've got to check the airline sites as well.

Sometimes not only is a cheaper fare available for the same dates on the airline's site but you sometimes also get better connections/durations.

I've seen better prices and durations multiple times on Untied and even Qatar !!!

fourrings

I always use googles ITA matrix to search flights. It’s the basic program that all the search engines use. You can see what is available but can not book. You just take the information with you to Kayak, Expedia or directly to the airlines website. 

Lets you see everything that is available 

billybog

even if the flight were free...wouldnt fly china air..or any china airlines...not worth the aggravation.

The Danimal
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, billybog said:

even if the flight were free...wouldnt fly china air..or any china airlines...not worth the aggravation.

China Eastern from LAX...short flight...competitive prices...not my go to but there are worse options...and most are much more expensive...not to mention full...CE usually has many open seats too

Edited by The Danimal

javasumatra
51 minutes ago, billybog said:

I won't fly Chinese Airlines but China Airlines are Taiwanese and their hub is in Taipei so definitely a go for me.

momo5
On 14/06/2019 at 11:52, Mr. Majestyk said:

I like that second leg on an Asia based airline and always try and book that. In my experience they provide much better service, and a more enjoyable flight. At least for me. I really like Japan's ANA airline from Tokyo-Narita to BKK. 

I was disappointed when Delta stopped NRT - BKK service, but I really do like ANA ... and the times are nearly the same.  This is my preferred itinerary.  

momo5
On 13/06/2019 at 21:47, Explorer8939 said:

At one time, my goal was to fly on the top deck of a 747, which I finally did on EVA. It wasn’t that great, like domestic First Class on a 757.

The upper deck on NW/Delta 747s was a sweet ride.  Miss those birds.  D1 on the A350 just isn’t the same. 

javasumatra
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, momo5 said:

The upper deck on NW/Delta 747s was a sweet ride.  Miss those birds.  D1 on the A350 just isn’t the same. 

I find it so depressing when I have to fly a US carrier. Avoid the like them like the plague.

Edited by javasumatra

Sac Les

I flew ANA from Sacramento to Bangkok in Feb /Mar. The flight was much better than my two previous trips on China Airlines. It was also cheaper at $720. The only minus on this flight was the NRT - BKK and the BKK - NRTdidn't have jetways. Had to take a bus from the terminal to the plane and from the plane to the terminal on the return trip. They insisted on squeezing as many people as possible on the busses. 

I have tickets for Sept to Bangkok via San Francisco. My original itinerary included a two hour layover in San Francisco. My itenerary has been changed three times since I bought the ticket. Each time changing my departure from Sacramento to an hour earlier. My layover at SFO is now five hours. I will think about this before buying an ANA ticket again. 

jonEE
10 hours ago, The Danimal said:

China Eastern from LAX...short flight...competitive prices...not my go to but there are worse options...and most are much more expensive...not to mention full...CE usually has many open seats too

I actually like that flight... Big TV's in the seats, free wifi, and the seat pitch has to be somewhere around 33" and comfortable. I don't mind the transfer in Shanghai either.. I usually get through in about half an hour. The food does kinda suck though

Not to mention I've seen it as cheap as $425 bucks RT.