Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

javasumatra

TM30

Taa_Saparot
4 minutes ago, dave01 said:

You yourself said you are extending tourist visas.... the first quote you referenced  mentioned marriage and retirement extensions... totally different argument...

15 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

What ... that Section 38 is not enforced at Jomtien?

KentuckyWildcat

I'm living and working in Bangkok on a Non-immigrant B visa. Every time I want to visit Pattaya for a weekend trip, I have to make sure a TM 30 is completed and submitted when I return from my 1 or 2 night trip? That's insanity!

Taa_Saparot

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/08/16/police-spokesman-incompetent-immigration-cops-will-be-punished/

POLICE SPOKESMAN: INCOMPETENT IMMIGRATION COPS WILL BE PUNISHED
By Khaosod English - August 16, 2019

456-696x521.jpg

BANGKOK — A representative for the national police force said on Friday immigration officers who fail to process cases swiftly are liable for punishment.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen said the immigration bureau is required to follow policies of efficient work as instructed by police commissioner Chakthip Chaijinda. He spoke amid growing uproar from foreign residents over tougher enforcement of immigration laws, in spite of the snail’s pace of immigration bureaucracy that makes following regulations difficult.

“Our job is to make sure [officers] do the work properly. We are their supervisors,” Col. Krissana said in an interview. “If they can’t do it, there is no other option than handing down punishment.”

In response to complaints from expats that they are being forced to wait weeks or even months for immigration to process simple tasks, Krissana insisted the police commissioner has enacted policies that aim at speedy procedures.

“The policies are there. They are good policies, but it depends on the people who implement them,” the spokesman said.

Krissana spoke a day after two immigration officials insisted at a panel discussion that the official channel for expats to report their residence is working as intended, even as anecdotes point otherwise.

Some expats have taken to social media to complain that they have to wait several weeks to receive usernames for the immigration’s online reporting system, even though immigration officials continue to enforce a decades-old rule that foreign residents must make a report every time they leave their registered address for more than 24 hours.

Krissana wouldn’t comment directly on what was said at last night’s panel, but said the immigration police should stick to reality.

“Before they make a promise or a claim, they have to make sure that their system is working properly,” the spokesman said.

At the heart of the controversy is the TM30 form. Under the 1979 immigration law, non-immigrant foreigners must complete the form to specify a change of residence (defined as leaving the existing residence for more than 24 hours) within 48 hours, even if they leave just for a night. They must file another form when they return.

Although the law has been in place for decades, it has been strictly enforced only recently, much to the inconvenience of foreigners and their Thai landlords. Tourists are usually spared from the hassle as hotel staff file the TM30 form on their behalf.

Maj. Gen. Patipat Suban na Ayudhaya, the commander of Immigration Police Division 1 which covers Bangkok, promised to look into the issues but promised neither a timeline nor results.

“We’re gonna bring the problems to my commanders when we meet in order to change the rules for good guys like you. But we don’t know when we will be done,” Patipat said. “We will try our best to distinguish between the good guys and bad guys. I promise all of you: we try.”

Speaking at a panel organized by the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand, longtime British expat Richard Barrow said he wants to see consistency and clarity.

He said forcing an expat to file a TM30 report simply because they want to leave Bangkok for Pattaya for a night, and to file another when back in Bangkok, doesn’t make any sense.

“This is going to affect domestic tourism. I asked an immigration officer about it and he said: “Travel less!””

Immigration police themselves appear overwhelmed by the newly enforced measures.

Immigration superintendent Col. Thatchapong Sarawanangkul said he has to work until 10pm every day in order to cope with the number of online TM30 application forms coming into the system, even though his wife is about to deliver a baby in several weeks.

“You didn’t know if the foreigners coming to you are good guys or not. Immigration is trying to check for your safety. For the country too,” Thatchapong said.

Krissana, the police spokesman, who once worked in the immigration bureau, concluded the agency has to strike a balance between the need for security and a good service mentality.

“Of course, the top and foremost priority of immigration is to be the gatekeeper of the country, and to safeguard national security. But once they [foreigners] are already inside our country, they must be treated with good service,” Krissana said.

petemoss
1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

He said forcing an expat to file a TM30 report simply because they want to leave Bangkok for Pattaya for a night, and to file another when back in Bangkok, doesn’t make any sense.

“This is going to affect domestic tourism. I asked an immigration officer about it and he said: “Travel less!””

Immigration police themselves appear overwhelmed by the newly enforced measures.

Immigration superintendent Col. Thatchapong Sarawanangkul said he has to work until 10pm every day in order to cope with the number of online TM30 application forms coming into the system, even though his wife is about to deliver a baby in several weeks.

"Travel less". It's a plan, can't argue with that.

"Immigration superintendent Col. Thatchapong Sarawanangkul said he has to work until 10pm every day in order to cope with the number of online TM30 application forms coming into the system, even though his wife is about to deliver a baby in several weeks."

Wait until the baby arrives, then he can tell us how tired he is.

petemoss
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Speaking at a panel organized by the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand, longtime British expat Richard Barrow said he wants to see consistency and clarity.

In other words, all offices acting in the same way as Bangkok. Pattaya doesn't currently enforce this for expats. Thanks Richard Barrow. Knob.

Edited by petemoss

Taa_Saparot

Do hospitals complete TM30's ?

Exiled
4 hours ago, petemoss said:

In other words, all offices acting in the same way as Bangkok. Pattaya doesn't currently enforce this for expats. Thanks Richard Barrow. Knob.

Not sure about that today my brother and I was down at Jomtien and they were passing out TM-30 like candy to every and anyone who hasn't fill one out before which my brother and I have never done both been here over 10 years never been ask until today.

Ask the person should we bring back sign etc etc.. just told rudely go to counter fill out and take inside room. No fines didn't ask for any  proof of address nothing and we didn't even sign the form, they cut the bottom and staple it on the passport just like the 90 days.

Ru4Real
3 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Do hospitals complete TM30's ?

Been reports some do ... and of course ... some don't 555

golden_boy

Wondering if anyone can advise. All my previous trips the condo owner has sorted the TM30 registrations for me (2015 trips were not needed).

Its looking likely my next trip I will be renting a friends condo for 1 month. The friend is living in the UK but owns a condo in Pattaya.

My question is this, is it myself who within a day of arriving sort out the so called TM30? 

If its the condo owner, how can they do it if their in the UK?

bkkjunkie

the owner has to do it - they do it online after registration

davidge
8 minutes ago, golden_boy said:

Wondering if anyone can advise. All my previous trips the condo owner has sorted the TM30 registrations for me (2015 trips were not needed).

Its looking likely my next trip I will be renting a friends condo for 1 month. The friend is living in the UK but owns a condo in Pattaya.

My question is this, is it myself who within a day of arriving sort out the so called TM30? 

If its the condo owner, how can they do it if their in the UK?

Legally the condo owners responsibility but they can give you written permission to do it. Not sure what paperwork etc would be required, sorry.

If you’re only staying a month and not going to Immigration for a visa Extension or something else then it really won’t be an issue in any case. I wouldn’t bother in those circumstances.

eXplosief

Does the owner use an agency to handle rents?

petemoss
3 hours ago, Exiled said:

Not sure about that today my brother and I was down at Jomtien and they were passing out TM-30 like candy to every and anyone who hasn't fill one out before which my brother and I have never done both been here over 10 years never been ask until today.

Ask the person should we bring back sign etc etc.. just told rudely go to counter fill out and take inside room. No fines didn't ask for any  proof of address nothing and we didn't even sign the form, they cut the bottom and staple it on the passport just like the 90 days.

I have filled one in every time I have permanently changed my address, last time was a couple of years ago. Never been asked to do it at any other time.

Explorer8939
57 minutes ago, petemoss said:

I have filled one in every time I have permanently changed my address, last time was a couple of years ago. Never been asked to do it at any other time.

The law requires you to provide a TM-30 every time you change the location where you sleep. No one will ask you to do it, but if you are caught, there will be a fine.

Billyboy294

I was under the impression the tenant can fill in the form and take to Immigration if the owner is not available.

Immigration are only interested in where YOU are staying. I know tenants who were fined 1600 baht (I think) because they had not submitted the form or had arranged for the owner to do it.

If you want to play it safe check into a hotel for your first night and then go to your Condo. The hotel register you in, but not out.

LeoTex
21 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

The law requires you to provide a TM-30 every time you change the location where you sleep. No one will ask you to do it, but if you are caught, there will be a fine.

In some cases that could happen a few times a day.

LeoTex

Explorer8939
Just now, LeoTex said:

In some cases that could happen a few times a day.

LeoTex

In this case, "sleep" means overnight.

Explorer8939
12 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

I was under the impression the tenant can fill in the form and take to Immigration if the owner is not available.

Immigration are only interested in where YOU are staying. I know tenants who were fined 1600 baht (I think) because they had not submitted the form or had arranged for the owner to do it.

If you want to play it safe check into a hotel for your first night and then go to your Condo. The Hotel register you in, but not out.

Not safe.

Once you change the location where you sleep, a new TM30 must be completed.

LeoTex
Just now, Explorer8939 said:

In this case, "sleep" means overnight.

That's not what you said.

However that being said.

If you are out and about in the evening and meet a new best friend and she invites you to spend the night with her in her room.

Do you have her fill out the TM30 before or after you spent the night with her?

I'm just trying to avoid a large fine.

LeoTex

Billyboy294
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

If you want to play it safe check into a hotel for your first night and then go to your Condo. The Hotel register you in, but not out.

22 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

Not safe.

Once you change the location where you sleep, a new TM30 must be completed.

I agree that one should get registered each time you move, but the topic is about what can the tenant do if the owner cannot /or will not register the incoming tenant.

Perhaps I should not have used the word "safe". But i was using as it as a tried and tested method to get round the situation where the owner of the condo is not available or is not willing to report the TM30 because renting a condo is regarded as "working' and tax should be paid on the earnings.

My suggestion was the safer method as opposed to doing nothing and hoping for the best.

A friend of mine checks into Holiday Inn (he has free vouchers) his first  night and then moves into Center Condo. where he rents a room from a friend in the UK. He has done this a few times with no problems. He normally stays 3 months.

Edited by Billyboy294

golden_boy
2 hours ago, davidge said:

Legally the condo owners responsibility but they can give you written permission to do it. Not sure what paperwork etc would be required, sorry.

If you’re only staying a month and not going to Immigration for a visa Extension or something else then it really won’t be an issue in any case. I wouldn’t bother in those circumstances.

Thanks.

regyai

Way too much faffing about regarding this

If you are an 'ad hoc' tourist visitor & have no need of attending Immo during your stay then there really isn't any valid compunction to comply

Piece Corp
1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

That's not what you said.

However that being said.

If you are out and about in the evening and meet a new best friend and she invites you to spend the night with her in her room.

Do you have her fill out the TM30 before or after you spent the night with her?

I'm just trying to avoid a large fine.

LeoTex

You fill the report after, just in case she does a runner