Jump to content
javasumatra

TM30

Recommended Posts

davidge
52 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Not from Section 38 which is what people are generally being fined for when going for extensions etc.

Section 37 is never really enforced to my knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Tourist Visa holders are exempt?

According to that image, yes.

But would those that enter on a 30 exemption also be exempted? They are not holding a tourist visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petemoss
On 10/06/2019 at 08:49, forcebwithu said:

As I understand it, you need to have filed the TM30 at least once, then on subsequent returns to the same address you don't need to report again. Good that Jomtien immigration is showing some latitude and common sense on the TM30 reporting.

Only true if you are on an annual visa extension. In other parts of Thailand, everyone needs to do one. Some immigration offices even insist that you do one even if you have just stayed in another province overnight. Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai particularly strict. It's a recent enforcement of an old rule, so Jomtien may start doing it in the future.

Big moneyspinner for the immigration officers which is indicated by each immigration office/officer setting their own level of fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bakufoz

So who all is having problems with the "section 38" app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ru4Real
4 hours ago, bakufoz said:

So who all is having problems with the "section 38" app?

What's the problem? If saying not compatible or similar that'd likely be because it's geolocation specific i.e. it needs to think you're in Thailand/using a google account set up in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bakufoz
22 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

What's the problem? If saying not compatible or similar that'd likely be because it's geolocation specific i.e. it needs to think you're in Thailand/using a google account set up in Thailand.

Its reviews are mixed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petemoss
58 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

What's the problem? If saying not compatible or similar that'd likely be because it's geolocation specific i.e. it needs to think you're in Thailand/using a google account set up in Thailand.

The app is for householders. The keeper of the "blue book". It isn't for tourists.

The onus for reporting the presence of a foreigner is on the blue book holder not the visitor. It's they that are liable to a fine. A number of recent cases of Thai landlords being fined for not reporting.

However, if the visitor rocks up at immigration, for example to do a 90 day report, and they are found to be in breach of Article 38 (TM 30), it's far easier for immigration to collect the fine from the visitor than a Thai landlord. If you don't pay, no visa extension, up to you, they've got you by the bollocks.

Unfair and illegal, but try arguing with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ru4Real
1 hour ago, petemoss said:

The app is for householders. The keeper of the "blue book". It isn't for tourists.

It's also for possessors therefore, those that are in LOS long-term should, IMO, get themselves set up online and on the app and take responsibility for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ru4Real
2 hours ago, bakufoz said:

Its reviews are mixed.  

Well it is Thai tech 555

Looks like plenty of people using it without issue (when they eventually get a password!) and plenty not being able to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sulu
On 05/08/2019 at 02:31, davidge said:

Not from Section 38 which is what people are generally being fined for when going for extensions etc.

Section 37 is never really enforced to my knowledge.

I get that "it's Thailand" but how can a tourist be fined for Section 38. The onus is clearly on the landlord.

 

And this graphic is from 1979. Surely there have been updates/revisions/whatever since, no ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidge
2 minutes ago, sulu said:

I get that "it's Thailand" but how can a tourist be fined for Section 38. The onus is clearly on the landlord.

 

And this graphic is from 1979. Surely there have been updates/revisions/whatever since, no ?

The graphic isn’t from 1979 its recent. The Law was enacted in 1979 and is still the current law.

As for the fine, the tourist is the one in Immigration wanting an extension etc. Easier for the IO to tell them to pay the fine and get it back from landlord than to go and chase the landlord themselves. If the tourist doesn’t pay then they don’t get the extension.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bakufoz
2 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

Well it is Thai tech 555

Looks like plenty of people using it without issue (when they eventually get a password!) and plenty not being able to figure it out.

Cant even see section 38 app in playstore. Or is it called something else now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taa_Saparot
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, davidge said:

Easier for the IO to tell them to pay the fine and get it back from landlord than to go and chase the landlord themselves.

At Jomtien, both the Person applying for the Extension (1600 baht) and the Landlord (5000 baht) get fined.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eXplosief
1 hour ago, davidge said:

The graphic isn’t from 1979 its recent. The Law was enacted in 1979 and is still the current law.

As for the fine, the tourist is the one in Immigration wanting an extension etc. Easier for the IO to tell them to pay the fine and get it back from landlord than to go and chase the landlord themselves. If the tourist doesn’t pay then they don’t get the extension.

 

Actually they don't really make you pay the fine. They just state that they can not issue any documents or extension until the fine is paid.

You're free to go get the landlord to pay his fine. But in reality nobody wants to have to wait for him to show up as that can be days in the future.

Most will choose to just pay it and be done with. Later they might try to get it reimbursed, but that will probably be futile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petemoss
4 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

It's also for possessors therefore, those that are in LOS long-term should, IMO, get themselves set up online and on the app and take responsibility for themselves.

As far as Jomtien Immigration are concerned, those here long term (marriage extension or retirement extension) have no need to complete a TM30 unless they change their registered address.

A couple of years ago, there was a national crackdown on TM30s and Jomtien complied with this. They had to set up a row of desks upstairs and there were long queues of people waiting to submit their TM30s. It lasted a matter of weeks before Jomtien relented, they just didn't have the staff.

Some months later, I was due to take my annual trip back to the UK. When doing my 90 day report, I took the opportunity to ask a senior IO at Jomtien, the severe guy who sometimes stands behind the desk on the left as you enter the building, whether I needed to complete a TM30 on my return. He asked me what visa I had and, when I told him "Retirement", he replied "No need".

Since then I have left the country 3 times and stayed out of province countless times. I have never completed a TM30. I did my annual trip to the UK 3 months ago and my 90 day report last week. No fine, no mention of a TM30. The only times I have filled in a TM30 is when I first moved to Thailand an with 2 subsequent house moves.

This may change and Jomtien may be required to comply with the crackdown but those of us who have lived here long enough have seen many crackdowns for many reasons. They never last more than a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ru4Real
2 hours ago, bakufoz said:

Cant even see section 38 app in playstore. Or is it called something else now?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38&hl=en

 

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

As far as Jomtien Immigration are concerned, those here long term (marriage extension or retirement extension) have no need to complete a TM30 unless they change their registered address.

I know, but not all people are on retirement/marriage visas nor do they all report to Jomtein. Until April this year it didn't impact people living in Bkk either.

Personally, it doesn't affect me whatsoever as I only stay for two or three weeks at a time and have no need to deal with immigration. I'll continue happily travelling around without a care in the world about whether or not some hotel/resort up bush files a TM30. But, if I was popping in and out of Thailand using a METV for instance and regularly went to Immi for extensions I'd be looking into getting things sorted so I don't rely on the whims of an IO or landlord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petemoss
Posted (edited)
On 05/08/2019 at 07:31, davidge said:

Not from Section 38 which is what people are generally being fined for when going for extensions etc.

Section 37 is never really enforced to my knowledge.

Section 37 is the 90 day report and informing immigration of a change of registered residence. Has always been enforced.

In Jomtien, section 38 not enforced.

Edited by petemoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bakufoz
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38&hl=en

 

I know, but not all people are on retirement/marriage visas nor do they all report to Jomtein. Until April this year it didn't impact people living in Bkk either.

Personally, it doesn't affect me whatsoever as I only stay for two or three weeks at a time and have no need to deal with immigration. I'll continue happily travelling around without a care in the world about whether or not some hotel/resort up bush files a TM30. But, if I was popping in and out of Thailand using a METV for instance and regularly went to Immi for extensions I'd be looking into getting things sorted so I don't rely on the whims of an IO or landlord.

I am in bkk as well!!

Screenshot_20190807-092527_Google Play Store.jpg

Edited by bakufoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taa_Saparot
9 hours ago, petemoss said:

As far as Jomtien Immigration are concerned, those here long term (marriage extension or retirement extension) have no need to complete a TM30 unless they change their registered address.

A couple of years ago, there was a national crackdown on TM30s and Jomtien complied with this. They had to set up a row of desks upstairs and there were long queues of people waiting to submit their TM30s. It lasted a matter of weeks before Jomtien relented, they just didn't have the staff.

Complete and utter nonsense.

As someone who extends Tourist Visas, I have been doing TM30's at Jomtien for 4 years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taa_Saparot
7 hours ago, petemoss said:

In Jomtien, section 38 not enforced.

More nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oukiva
3 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:
9 hours ago, petemoss said:

As far as Jomtien Immigration are concerned, those here long term (marriage extension or retirement extension) have no need to complete a TM30 unless they change their registered address. //

Complete and utter nonsense. As someone who extends Tourist Visas, I have been doing TM30's at Jomtien for 4 years now.

It's not nonsense at all. As someone on Retirement Extension depending of Jomtien Immigration, I have never ever made a TM30. They insisted it's not required for people in my case.

PS: I think I already made you this remark not long ago in another thread... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taa_Saparot
Just now, Oukiva said:

It's not nonsense at all. As someone on Retirement Extension depending of Jomtien Immigration, I have never ever made a TM30. They insisted it's not required for people in my case.

PS: I think I already made you this remark not long ago in another thread... :rolleyes:

What ... that Section 38 is not enforced at Jomtien?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dave01
15 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

More nonsense.

You yourself said you are extending tourist visas.... the first quote you referenced  mentioned marriage and retirement extensions... totally different argument...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dave01
13 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

It's not nonsense at all. As someone on Retirement Extension depending of Jomtien Immigration, I have never ever made a TM30. They insisted it's not required for people in my case.

PS: I think I already made you this remark not long ago in another thread... :rolleyes:

Agreed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.