javasumatra

TM30

javasumatra
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I bought a condo a few years back, I stay there for a couple of weeks maybe twice a year and it's never been rented out. 

Do I need to file a TM30 for the time that I stay there?

Thanks,

Edited by javasumatra

Yes it's required within 24hrs. If you get to your condo on a weekday say 1.00pm you'll need to report to immigration with TM30 the next weekday before 1.00pm.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Taa_Saparot
3 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Hi all,

I bought a condo a few years back, I stay there for a couple of weeks maybe twice a year and it's never been rented out. 

Officially yes, but unless you need to visit immigration for an extension or the like, then most would not bother.

skipper67

when u arrive in Thailand you have filled out the TM 6 form of where u are staying...only need to go immigration if you are changing address..

Ru4Real

Not sure about that; you fill in the TM6 on arrival but where you stay also has to file a TM30 within 24 hours. I believe that includes if staying in your own condo.

striderman
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, skipper67 said:

when u arrive in Thailand you have filled out the TM 6 form of where u are staying...only need to go immigration if you are changing address..

no.

unless you are staying at a guest house/hotel that registers a TM30 on your behalf on arrival you should report within 24 hrs to immigration unless you are on a retirement visa. 

however as the OP says he comes for under 30 days and has no need of an extension there is not much point in bothering.

if you arrive friday reporting monday or the first day immigration is open for say cos of a holiday it's ok.

after that reporting late is 1600 bht penalty

Edited by striderman

davidge
17 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

In theory, yes. However, if you don’t it’s only ever a problem if you need to go to Immigration for something eg Visa Extension. Even then, the only consequences are a fine. 

If you’re only staying for 2 weeks at a time and not going to Immigration for anything then it’s really not an issue.

If you end up staying longer, some Immigration offices seem to want you to re-register every time you go somewhere and come back, others only want you to register if you have a new address.

The form at the airport has no effect on any of this really.

WalterA
Posted (edited)

The TM30 is another extra nuisance to people ....  ... the answer is yes, within 24 hours the owner of the premises where you stay has to report you ..... therefor, if you are the owner, you have to go to immigration and report yourself .... it is the owners responsibility to report and if you own your condo, you report yourself ..... ridiculous but true .... great start to a holiday..... 

plenty of info available if you Google it ... good luck

Edited by WalterA

Gaztop08

Oukiva
Posted (edited)

As said in post #3, it's theoretically mandatory to do the TM30 for you, but if you are here for a short period (the OP said 2 weeks) and so don't need to go to the Immigration for anything else, then you could not bother with that. :wink:

The guy in the video wanted to stay more than 30 days and then got caught when he went to the Immigration to get an extension...

Edited by Oukiva

Taa_Saparot

I got caught out this year when I went to do a 30 day extension, as I had not re-registered after coming back from a visa run, which I have never had to do in the past.

I pleaded innocence, and said I thought I only had to do that if I stayed somewhere overnight.

I got a strict warning, told it had been noted, and I would get a fine the next time.

javasumatra

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I normally stay in Bangkok for a night when I arrive in Thailand so the hotel there goes on the TM6. I've never filed a TM30 and I am not especially worried about a fine, The only small concern I have is if this could ever affect my retirement visa application.

Taa_Saparot
1 minute ago, javasumatra said:

The only small concern I have is if this could ever affect my retirement visa application.

No.

And even if you did decide to do a visa extension, then use an Agent and no TM30 is needed.

WalterA
5 minutes ago, javasumatra said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I normally stay in Bangkok for a night when I arrive in Thailand so the hotel there goes on the TM6. I've never filed a TM30 and I am not especially worried about a fine, The only small concern I have is if this could ever affect my retirement visa application.

When you arrive .... the hotel does the reporting and BKK is considered an exclusion zone until you reach your final destination .... no it won’t affect your retirement visa but they could decide to fine you post ....

ChiFlyer

hmmmm - guys, I am not sure we are getting the messaging correct on this one. Then again I notice several thread participants who are more experienced with these things than I am.

The OP says he owns his condo. My understanding is that this means he does not need to do a TM.30 under any circumstances. He can bring his Land Office ownership to any immigration process in lieu of a TM.30, as I understand things.

Also, as noted several times above, since he is only staying a few weeks, it is not an issue.

Ru4Real
59 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

My understanding is that this means he does not need to do a TM.30 under any circumstances.

Your understanding is incorrect.

striderman
12 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The OP says he owns his condo. My understanding is that this means he does not need to do a TM.30 under any circumstances. He can bring his Land Office ownership to any immigration process in lieu of a TM.30, as I understand things.

a TM 30 is not hard to fill in unless you cannot read english. plus bringing a paid electricity bill for example is a lot easier than carting his condo paperwork around. if you own a condo and are say on a tourist visa or visa exemption and wish a 1,900 bht extension of either you will have had to do one. failure to have done so is no big deal but another 1,600 bht  on top as a penalty. 

davidge
3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

hmmmm - guys, I am not sure we are getting the messaging correct on this one. Then again I notice several thread participants who are more experienced with these things than I am.

Also, as noted several times above, since he is only staying a few weeks, it is not an issue.

As I understand it, Jomtien Immigration have been telling people on long term visas not to bother if they keep on returning to the same address each time BUT legally you are meant to submit a TM30 every time you stay elsewhere and then return. 

forcebwithu
13 minutes ago, davidge said:

As I understand it, Jomtien Immigration have been telling people on long term visas not to bother if they keep on returning to the same address each time BUT legally you are meant to submit a TM30 every time you stay elsewhere and then return. 

As I understand it, you need to have filed the TM30 at least once, then on subsequent returns to the same address you don't need to report again. Good that Jomtien immigration is showing some latitude and common sense on the TM30 reporting.

Taa_Saparot
2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Good that Jomtien immigration is showing some latitude and common sense on the TM30 reporting.

Not for those with Tourist Visa, its not.

davidge
11 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

As I understand it, you need to have filed the TM30 at least once, then on subsequent returns to the same address you don't need to report again. Good that Jomtien immigration is showing some latitude and common sense on the TM30 reporting.

Yes, that’s why I said ‘returning to same address’.

7 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Not for those with Tourist Visa, its not.

I specifically said those on ‘long term visas’. I’m guessing ChiFlyer has been speaking to people on ‘Retirement Extensions’ as he’s going to be using them soon, hence the misunderstanding.

Taa_Saparot
1 minute ago, davidge said:

I specifically said those on ‘long term visas’. I’m guessing ChiFlyer has been speaking to people on ‘Retirement Extensions’ as he’s going to be using them soon, hence the misunderstanding.

And I was replying to post saying Jomtien immigration were showing common sense, which they most definitely are not, when it comes to those on Tourist Visas.

Oukiva
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I own the condo where I live for more than 10 years, and I never filled a TM30... Twice I tried at Jomtien Immigration (with a 2 years interval) and twice they told me I don't need to because I am on Retirement Extension.

Edited by Oukiva

semi-retired member
1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

I own the condo where I live for more than 10 years, and I never filled a TM30... Twice I tried at Jomtien Immigration (with a 2 years interval) and twice they told me I don't need to because I am on Retirement Extension.

Living in Chiang Mai, if i were not rigorous about TM-30 reporting after every return to Thailand, I would not be given another retirement-extension.  I do envy you guys living down there in Chonburi/Pattaya !

ChiFlyer
12 hours ago, davidge said:

I’m guessing ChiFlyer has been speaking to people on ‘Retirement Extensions’ as he’s going to be using them soon, hence the misunderstanding.

Yes, that is what I have been focused on. I submit the first TM.7 "Extension of Stay" in September. I will likely need a TM.30 for the foreseeable future, as I plan to do long term rentals for now. At this point in my life, I have some trepidation about owning something, despite having previously being interested in buying a condo. A long term rental is much easier to walk away from.

I am returning to Jomtien from the US tomorrow (Tuesday) night for a 6 week stay. Long flight schedule this time with a 14 hour layover in HKG. I am mostly in Business and am paying about $50 US using awards tickets. The CX lounge in HKG is not a bad place to do a long layover, providing they can cut my HKG-BKK leg boarding pass in Chicago.  Otherwise, you can not get through security at HKG to get to the lounge. I have an awards room booked at the airport Marriott as a backup plan. I am hoping to cancel that and not have to go through Immigration.