Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Night Wish Group 7th Anniversary Party | Add your Text or Event here

Lychgate

Golf for beginners/ ish - where to go

Lychgate

Hi all,

I have not played golf for over 20 years ,  I used to play a little bit when I lived in the Dominican Republic but was a lot younger and found myself getting frustrated and angry every time I played.   In the end I gave it up, I was hoping to have what should be a nice morning out with friends who's company I enjoyed,  the reality was me walking away every Saturday morning feeling like I wanted to slowly torture my close friends, paricularly when they took the piss.

So i decided  to take the safe option and stop playing.

20 years on I am remarkably calmer and am thinking about having a go at golf again,   I dont want to play against anyone,   if I have learnt anything from 20 odd visits to pattaya it is that I dont play well with others and dont need the company of others.

If anyone has any reccomendations on where to go to take reasonably priced lessons though it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Goodyear7

Following with interest. I have never played golf but I have always wanted to. My upcoming trip would be the perfect way to get started.

Scuba+

As a beginner,there is a par 3 course on Pratamak Soi 4 I'd recommend. Pattaya Asia hotel. Only need a few clubs, can hire them there. That's a good start.

Also 2 driving ranges up 3rd road before North Pattaya road, can get lessons there.

There are two 9 hole courses in Sattahip, good for beginners and those practicing (AC DC and Royal Thai Navy Fleet).

Then when have a reasonable level of skill i.e shoot less than 100, try the bar golf groups.

People do play who shoot way over a 100 but slows down the whole course and they are always under pressure to speed up, people aren't patient with slow play

dh842
1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

Also 2 driving ranges up 3rd road before North Pattaya road, can get lessons there.

Good advice here, hit the driving range first!

Asiansarefun
2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

As a beginner,there is a par 3 course on Pratamak Soi 4 I'd recommend. Pattaya Asia hotel. Only need a few clubs, can hire them there. That's a good start.

There are two 9 hole courses in Sattahip, good for beginners and those practicing (AC DC and Royal Thai Navy Fleet).

Then when have a reasonable level of skill i.e shoot less than 100, try the bar golf groups.

People do play who shoot way over a 100 but slows down the whole course and they are always under pressure to speed up, people aren't patient with slow play

As a very amatuer golfer myself I prefer 9 holes.  Just long enough to get away and get some relatively fresh air especially when on holiday.

Scuba+
As a very amatuer golfer myself I prefer 9 holes.  Just long enough to get away and get some relatively fresh air especially when on holiday.
Pratamak Soi 4 is perfect then, Pattaya Asia hotel. You can join which is 500 baht and brings the cost down.

I used it a lot also as its great for practice, my best score was -2

Lychgate
On 30/05/2019 at 00:26, Scuba+ said:

That’s great ,   Thanks for the tip,  will give it a shot on the next visit.

Any idea on green fees and club hire costs?

Thanks in advance

Scuba+
That’s great ,   Thanks for the tip,  will give it a shot on the next visit.

Any idea on green fees and club hire costs?

Thanks in advance

The Par 3 Pratamak is less than 400 baht to play, clubs probably less than 200 baht. If you join which is 500 it brings the green fee to 330

Gerter23

Tyron at TPR Golf Academy is a very good teacher but will cost you 1500 for 50 minutes.

They have some packages too so maybe you could save some money by booking one of these.

As an experienced golfer let me give you this advice: Don't try to save money by having a cheap teacher. If you find a good one that can help you with your game stick with him. Otherwise you just need a lot more lessons which after all will cost you more.

Scuba+
Tyron at TPR Golf Academy is a very good teacher but will cost you 1500 for 50 minutes.
They have some packages too so maybe you could save some money by booking one of these.
As an experienced golfer let me give you this advice: Don't try to save money by having a cheap teacher. If you find a good one that can help you with your game stick with him. Otherwise you just need a lot more lessons which after all will cost you more.
30 mins is enough plus not too often otherwise there isn't enough time to put the advice into play

Gerter23
46 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
52 minutes ago, Gerter23 said:
Tyron at TPR golf Academy is a very good teacher but will cost you 1500 for 50 minutes.

30 mins is enough plus not too often otherwise there isn't enough time to put the advice into play

I would say that depends on your skill level. If you're a beginner you need more lessons. The better you are the less you need.

Scuba+
I would say that depends on your skill level. If you're a beginner you need more lessons. The better you are the less you need.
Nahhhhh, that's what golf teachers say because they want more money

Geordie59

Some good advice regarding the Asia Hotel par 3 course. Easy to get to, cheap, usually not busy and you can play a few holes take a break if you want then play on. The price is for a day ticket. 

The driving range on 3rd road towards the North Pattaya end has a pro who gives lessons. 500 baht for half an hour. Take a lesson then put it into practice at 50 baht for 40 balls. 

There are many bars that organise trips to the great courses around Pattaya. We really are spoiled for choice. You could pop into the Swan Pub on soi 13/1 (Yamato) and see Kevin. He runs small groups, usually only 1 mini bus and often has players going around well over the 100 mark so you wouldn't feel pressure on that score. 

USAFvet7

Great topic:ThumbUp6: i'll probably be giving this a go as well...thanks to everyone for all the info...

chris-11
On 30/05/2019 at 04:08, Lychgate said:

I have not played golf for over 20 years ,  I used to play a little bit when I lived in the Dominican Republic but was a lot younger and found myself getting frustrated and angry every time I played. 

Isn't that the name of the game??? 

Also following this thread as I've only played 2 or 3 times and actually found it pretty enjoyable.

Horizon

im not a golfer and i dont play golf but they have some good golf courses behind pattaya. the only thing sometimes i enjoy is when im in bangkok going to the bayok tower. they have a restaurant with a driving range in there... good food and can hit some balls just for fun. AND its not outside in the heat :)