IGNORED

Electricity controlled by room key?

Danolo

I saw a couple of YouTube videos of hotels in Pattaya, and a couple of them showed the user's key card inserted in a slot by the door.

I believe this activates the electricity, right?  Sol, no leaving the AC on for a cool return?  Is this common in many places in Pattaya..

I was looking at the Sutus hotel. That's about my budget... 800 - 1000 baht per night.

Usually you have a fob you put in the electric slot on the wall.I don't know about door cards but it's a non issue really, just put AC on full when back in the room, takes a minute or 2 to cool down

I was at the Bay Breeze earlier this month and it took about 30 minutes for the room to get cold again.  So I just left the key with the fob in the slot when I left and told the desk I locked my key in the room when I returned.  The third time the doorman had to let me in he took the key of the fob and told me to carry the key in my wallet!  :)

Some hotels just have a slot  that any old bit of cardboard or plastic will activate, others have a smarter slot that needs a magnet or something hidden in the key fob.  Others still have the super smart slot that needs the key card inserted.  Older hotels or ones not refurnished  will have the simpler ones.

• Like 1

This happens in most hotels around the world. As above just ask for 2 keys or cards when you check in. 

I know this doesn't address coming back to a cool room, but, in rooms like these the power outlet that the fridge is connected to is generally the only outlet that receives constant power.

So I put a double adapter on it and run a power strip to charge different things when out of the room. Saw it in a YT video, not sure if it was specific to LOS or not, but has worked a treat ever since.

• 1 year later...

I’ve collected at least a dozen aircon & electric cheaters over the years. Prove invaluable when returning tired / drunk / Hot.

First trip to Thailand - over 30 years ago the bellboy showed us to put ice tongs in the slot and worked, so I am sure that any type of card, gym card, old credit card or any card the correct size should work.

Skippy

Edited by SkippyRoo

Some of the more advanced cards/slots require the actual room card to work.

• Like 2

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

It works as a metaphor too: you 'turn on' a bargirl by inserting your 'room key'.

Probably.

Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

yeh, this can be a pain in the arse. Most of the modern ones require an actual room key as opposed any old card. As mentioned, getting two keys is the way forward.

Another thing that annoys me is when you're logged out of the wifi and devices can't join automatically when you return to the room. Gets tedious having to re-enter login details.

Don't mind this so much. Actually prefer this and how some hotels have a central master switch over antiquated western hotels

It’s Thailand not the gates of Hell. No matter how hot it is outside the AC will cool the room down in 60 seconds max. 

Unless it’s a vintage one from the mid 80s or something. 

• 4 weeks later...

It never bothered me when I use to stay in hotels in Pattaya.  The hotel rooms that I stayed in Pattaya were not that large so it didn't take too long to cool down and once I got back to the room and start the A/C, I would take my cloths off and jump into the shower which would cool my body.

I purchased a RDIF readed and writer from Lazada and some cards I just returned from a long trip through out all Thailand and I was able to duplicate the key cards in all but a couple hotels so never had to leave the room and AC off. Years ago on a holiday to Pattaya i stayed at a place that had these key cards on a small welded ring and i wanted to leave the card in when I went out. I found the nearest Moto repair shop and asked the guy to please cut it off .He said sorry can not. Well i offered 100 baht and then he was happy to do it.  I replaced it with a split ring key ring all good the RFID reader writer can also copy key fobs and other stuff as well. Paid about 5 bucks US  for the writer and the cards and FOBs are cheap as well.

20200828_083411.thumb.jpg.cac7594103685a9182d1e019e2eb812a.jpg

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

2 hours ago, Soi7 said:

I purchased a RDIF readed and writer from Lazada and some cards I just returned from a long trip through out all Thailand and I was able to duplicate the key cards in all but a couple hotels so never had to leave the room and AC off. Years ago on a holiday to Pattaya i stayed at a place that had these key cards on a small welded ring and i wanted to leave the card in when I went out. I found the nearest Moto repair shop and asked the guy to please cut it off .He said sorry can not. Well i offered 100 baht and then he was happy to do it.  I replaced it with a split ring key ring all good the RFID reader writer can also copy key fobs and other stuff as well. Paid about 5 bucks US  for the writer and the cards and FOBs are cheap as well.

20200828_083411.thumb.jpg.cac7594103685a9182d1e019e2eb812a.jpg

Never realised how cheap these things were.

Great idea 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 1 year later...

I guess I'm the only one who is happy for the hotel to save a bit of money. It is a small inconvenience to wait for the room to cool back off. Saving a little electricity helps keep the room rates as cheap as they are. I have seen guys leave the balcony doors open and the aircon on high. I view this as the guy being an asshole.

I take the middle road on this one.

I was checked into a room once on an extremely hot day and it took 3 hours to cool the room to 24/25c.

So I ended up getting an extra key, but when I leave the room, I change the thermostat to 29c.

This allows me to save some energy for the hotel, but also lets me not have to wait hours for the room to cool down.

A Scandinavian bloke stayed at a guesthouse bar in Khao Talo a few years back. (Now closed) Used to leave around 9 am and go to beach and come back near midnight and have maybe one beer. Used to leave aircon at near freezing levels all day. Bar owner refused to to return his deposit. The bar owner showed me the meter spinning around whilst all other rooms had the AC off . 

Selfish and stupid behavior. Nowadays I would report the dickhead to to Greta Thunberg as I think he was from the same country. 

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

On 29/05/2019 at 11:08, Danolo said:

I was looking at the Sutus hotel. That's about my budget... 800 - 1000 baht per night.

Building A facing Soi Bow Cow is OK, the others are a bit run down/ not so nice

On 29/05/2019 at 12:46, Arnie85 said:

Just ask for two keys when you check in it’s not a big deal. 

Good luck with that a Sutus court. Last time I went there less than 2 years ago, I booked in for 3 weeks with a Lady, I gave over my passport details, she gave over her Thai ID details.

They flatly refused to give us 2 keys.

I found the AC in Sutus court A block very efficient. 5 minutes wouldn't make much of a difference if you have a BF and go for a shower. 

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

Why would you need to run the air conditioner when youre not in the room? The bed doesn’t care what temp the room is!

What a waste of electricity and creating emissions unnecessarily in my opinion 

1 hour ago, GorGuy said:

Good luck with that a Sutus court. Last time I went there less than 2 years ago, I booked in for 3 weeks with a Lady, I gave over my passport details, she gave over her Thai ID details.

They flatly refused to give us 2 keys.

In that case my suggestion would be not to get a room in a pathetic dump like Sutus Court. 

71606C53-F1D9-41BD-9532-B15FD364CDAB.jpeg

Edited by Arnie85

Well Arnie,   we are all different and look for different things.   I like Sutus Court, especially Sutus 3.   It suits me.   I would find many other modern or European style hotels oppressive.

I always get a key cut on my first day, then store the original key and card in the room, this means I can walk about with the key in my pocket and not keep picking it up from reception.

As for the air-con, during the day it is off, the door to the balcony is open to air the room and only in the evening is it shut.   If I am leaving to go outside after 8pm the aircon will be put on and left at a medium level for when I return.

😎