IGNORED

Swampy taximeters downstairs - what's current fare to Pats?

Jumpin Jack Flash

First off, I'd rather book a taxi in advance, and I have done this time, but they're not 100% reliable so I need a plan B if I'm stuck at the airport.

I've gotten a taximeter from downstairs before when I needed to, and it was easy enough, but I can't remember how much I paid.

Anyone use one recently?  How much, all in (inc tolls) ?

cannot tell you how much it will cost on the taximeter. (also because it depends on traffic etc) 
but just offer them 1200 (up to max of 1500) and see what they say... some will ask for a little more. but it should be in this ballpark. it's possible that they will switch you to a different taxi mid-ride, so that the original driver can return to BKK. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Plan  B could be to call around the Pattaya taxi services and ask if anyone has a driver available at the airport?

Saying this as I stupidly booked a taxi for the wrong day and they had a taxi available within 10 minutes for me. 

If a meter taxi accepts 1500 inclusive of tolls he’ll probably then have to take a ride back from one of those agencies you see around town that ends up with him getting 700. Take off the tolls and he’s getting less than the meter fare both ways. Add in the hours hanging around for a return journey possibly sleeping in the car if the journey from the airport is late in the day. So unless it’s a bad day I’m not very impressed at 1500 baht to Pattaya as a driver as 90% of airport runs will be a 300 baht or more fare into Bangkok and back picking up passengers straight away. 

I have always paid 1500 at the public taxi stand for the last few years. In the past it was usually reimbursed by my employer so I didn't care about trying to get an extra 100-200 baht cheaper.

Last time was in May and 1500 was readily accepted after initially asking for 1600 or 1700.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not use taximeter, just walked out the door in airport last week and offered 1500bath inklusive road tax. He accepted on the spot.

No eternal rewards will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:54, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

First off, I'd rather book a taxi in advance, and I have done this time, but they're not 100% reliable so I need a plan B if I'm stuck at the airport.

I have never had a Pattaya car service not be at the airport to pick me up. However I can't say that for the pick-up at the hotel for the return trip.

I only have used  a metered taxi from the airport twice. Both times the drivers didn't have a clue on how to find the hotel in Pattaya, once the guy keep dozing off on the high way.

For me its always a pre booked car serviced from Pattaya.

As far as the price, it was 1500 baht including the tolls.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

One trip when I booked a taxi I was unable to hook up with the driver. I rang the provider who asked where I was then said she would call me back. It turned out that some jackass claimed the taxi was his and it was on the way to Patts. I was given an apology and asked to wait 10 minutes. The taxi returned to the airport, dumped the passenger and I jumped in. I could have offered the guy a lift but had no sympathy, somewhere was another driver trying to earn a crust and waiting for him.

On 24/05/2019 at 01:54, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

I've gotten a taximeter from downstairs before when I needed to, and it was easy enough, but I can't remember how much I paid.

Anyone use one recently?  How much, all in (inc tolls) ?

stick with plan 1.

the driver waiting to pick you up is more eager to get the fare than you are to go with plan 2

1500 at the taxi stand including tolls, without a prebooking.  This was two weeks ago with a TG who was talking to the driver so I don't think they'd go lower. 

15 hours ago, bangna said:

One trip when I booked a taxi I was unable to hook up with the driver. I rang the provider who asked where I was then said she would call me back. It turned out that some jackass claimed the taxi was his and it was on the way to Patts. I was given an apology and asked to wait 10 minutes. The taxi returned to the airport, dumped the passenger and I jumped in. I could have offered the guy a lift but had no sympathy, somewhere was another driver trying to earn a crust and waiting for him.

This has also happened to me a few years ago.  After collecting my luggaga I went looking for the driver at the Meeting Point by door 3.  He wasnt there so I phoned the taxi's pattaya office.  I quickly got a phone call from the driver.  He said that he was just outside the terminal with a guy who had the same name as me.  The driver came back inside and as we made our way to the taxi the driver pointed to the guy who said the had the same name as me.  And the guy shouted over that we had the same name.  I didnt believe him I think he was just pretending to be me to get a taxi to Pattaya.

So I wonder if this happens very often because taxi drivers never ask for identification.  They just take our word that we are who we say we are

Archived