IGNORED

800,000 baht in Thai bank or Foreign bank?

Ecaps

Anyone know if it matters or if it is allowed to have 800,000 baht equivalent in a foreign bank?

Does it help or matter or does it have to be in a Thai Bank?

For Extensions (Marriage/Retirement) money must be in a Thai bank,

but can be in foreign currency.

Visas for Australians

David writes: If you have bank a/c or Govt. approved retirement fund in Australia with a surrender value of Bt 800,000+ you can get a retirement visa  at the Thai Embassy in Canberra. I have had a Thai Retirement Visa issued in Aus and have never had a bank account in Thailand and it's good for 2 years...the 1st year you get a multi-entry retirement visa and you can come and go as often as you like. Each time you return your visa will get a stamped with an extension for a year. So if you leave Thailand 3rd time or more or less (as I do) and you return the day before the retirement visa expires you will receive at the airport an extension to stay for a further 364 day (yes TIT a year in Thailand is really only 364 days). You cannot get an extension on top of an extension. You will have to apply again in your home country and do it all over again. You need a real police report, a medical from a doctor and lots of photocopies all signed by a JP or CD, plus in Aus $275 and your passport all sent to the Embassy. When you arrive in Thailand , YOU CAN JUST GO THROUGH THAI IMMIGRATION...More for Australians here

(Source - [email protected], 14 May 2019

Both answers are correct, depending on what the OPs original question was.

If you are planning to spend a lot of time in Thailand but still visit, and have a base, in your own country then you get a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa in your own country which allows you to stay for up to 12 months at a time in Thailand each time you enter. If you enter just before the original visa expires (12 months from issue) then you can make it last almost 2 years. In this case your proof of funds needs to be in your own country.

If you are planning on living in Thailand permanently, then you start off with the visa above but then need to get an Extension of Stay each year at Thai Immigration. For this the proof of funds must be in a Thai bank.

(I’m not going complicate things by mentioning details of the other ‘starting visa’ or monthly income instead :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

If you are planning on living in Thailand permanently, then you start off with the visa above but then need to get an Extension of Stay each year at Thai Immigration. For this the proof of funds must be in a Thai bank.

(

Our immigration office demand that the money must be in a Thai bank account, must be in your sole name and the money must be immeadiately available to you for visa extensions.   They also demand proof of the account on the day that you apply for the extension, letter from bank plus passbook with credit or withdrawal on that day.   

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

In my case I was granted an Non-Im Long Stay O-A from the Thai Consulate in Chicago, USA. The funds I used for that were in a US Bank.

I made sure to re-enter Thailand shortly before the O-A expired. As Davidge said that gave me nearly two years on the original O-A.

My first extension will be in September of this year. I now have the required funds in a Thai Bank. Not too sure how the insurance rule will play out, but we shall see.

On 15/05/2019 at 00:52, ChiFlyer said:

In my case I was granted an Non-Im Long Stay O-A from the Thai Consulate in Chicago, USA. The funds I used for that were in a US Bank.

I made sure to re-enter Thailand shortly before the O-A expired. As Davidge said that gave me nearly two years on the original O-A.

My first extension will be in September of this year. I now have the required funds in a Thai Bank. Not too sure how the insurance rule will play out, but we shall see.

There is a lot of discussions it in thai visa my mate just sent me link look like july with be compulsory insurance.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100759-mandatory-health-insurance-for-non-immigrant-o-a-retirement-visa-holders-likely-to-take-effect-in-july/

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Already a thread about insurance here:

Let’s keep all discussion of that topic in that thread please.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived