popeye72

Condo. Where to buy with a budget of under $50k.

Scuba+
Sure do you want to be riding the motorcycle back home after 10 beers past the Police check point?
Depends how much of a drinker someone is. If a barfly then stick to baht bus route or pay for taxi bikes or stick to darkside or jomtien etc. Personally I'm past 3rd road, when drinking i leave the bike and walk, sometimes take the baht bus some of the way

dickygozinya
On 28/04/2019 at 21:41, popeye72 said:

I see this as a future retirement home in maybe 5 to 10 years. But also a place I can use in the meantime. 

"future retirement home in maybe 5 to 10 years",   

1. why buy now?   
  2. Do you think Jomtien/Pattaya real estate is at a fire sale price?
  3. Do you think in 5-10 years the cost of Jomtien/Pattaya real estate will climb ridiculously high?    
  4. Do you expect the baht to dollar to fall dramatically?

Larssonn
1 hour ago, dickygozinya said:

1. why buy now?   
  3. Do you think in 5-10 years the cost of Jomtien/Pattaya real estate will climb ridiculously high?    

couldnt agree more , absolutely perfect answer .

popeye72
3 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

1. why buy now?   

1)Because I have money now. I may not later. 

2) I think it is much cheaper than where I live. Also cheaper than similar in Philippines where I was last. 

3) no. However see point 1) 

4)I'm in Europe so not dollar. But I don't see how that is so relevant. The market is mostly forreigner so the prices will adjust to what forreigner will pay. 

popeye72
1 hour ago, Larssonn said:

couldnt agree more , absolutely perfect answer .

On 28/04/2019 at 15:41, popeye72 said:

Let's avoid the don't buy anything in Thailand discussion please. I have read this many times before.

See first post.

I am an adult and can decide for myself how to spend my money except for my ex wife who could spend it quicker. I may decide not to buy but I will do that after I see what's available.

But for now I would like to thank those who gave constructive and helpful answers. 

3 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

1. why buy now?   

This is not very helpful at all TBH. 

Larssonn

go to Pattaya , use a few agents to show you around and then you can decide what suites your needs the best .

bubones
On 28/04/2019 at 21:57, davidge said:

A budget of 1m to 1.5m baht really means you are likely looking at a very small modern condo or a slightly larger older one. In all likelihood, not on a baht bus route.

In Central Pattaya I guess Nirun or Spanish Place?

I’ve looked at a lot of condos in Jomtien and somewhere like View Talay 1 (32sqm)or Jomtien Beach Condos (30sqm) are probably an option. The newer buildings like Laguna Beach, Amazon etc would be small (under 30 probably) at that budget but possible, I think. 

I’ll have a think...

No!!! Amazon has 36 sqm 1 b/r, not studio for this price. And good location. About Laguna Beach not sure. I don’t like location.

davidge
1 hour ago, bubones said:

No!!! Amazon has 36 sqm 1 b/r, not studio for this price. And good location. About Laguna Beach not sure. I don’t like location.

We have a different opinion of ‘good location’.

To me, none of the condos inland of Jomtien second Rd or off Bun Kanchana or Chayiuphrek are in a good location. 

There’s a reason why rents in so many of those places are quite low and falling.

bubones

Yes, everybody have a different opinion of ‘good location’. But I wanted bring to the attention that Amazon has more than 30m2 for this price.

dickygozinya
On 03/05/2019 at 20:21, popeye72 said:

See first post.

I am an adult and can decide for myself how to spend my money except for my ex wife who could spend it quicker. I may decide not to buy but I will do that after I see what's available.

But for now I would like to thank those who gave constructive and helpful answers. 

This is not very helpful at all TBH. 

Actually that is the list I used when I moved here full time.  

I only purchased because in Oct 2015, the exchange rate hit ฿36+/1USD and fortunately I found a seller eager to return to Europe so I got my 2-studio combined units (laid out like a 1-bedroom 94-SQM), on beach road Soi 1 in a prime location, for 5M.  But that was in 2015, when anyone who owned a condo and wanted to make it open for daily rental was able to do so. 

Since that date now there are heavily enforced rental rules “about room to let”.   Enforcing a slew of requirements making it difficult and impossible for any but hotels to operate a daily room rental.  Also regulations require rooms for rent to make the minimum rental period be 30-days.  Further the rooms (for daily rental), must be in building that was EIA approved for daily rental and have a minimum of 20-rooms to let in order to be considered for daily rental.

The Banglamung protection office has forced the closure of many daily rental rooms that were renting for less than 30-consecutive days (like those that were available at rich man poor man), and informed online operators (aka air B&B), to not promote illegal rentals (LOL).

Then to further curtail westerners who want to live here long term as 

Immigration issued a change to long term retirees regarding proof of minimum income to stay effectively  excluding embassy income affidavits, unless your embassy can guarantee to the Thai government, the validity of your income claim.  This has caused a lot of long term stayers (who are the majority of condo renters), unable to show ฿64,500/month foreign income or ฿800k in a Thai bank to no longer qualify for the long term visa income requirements and so must leave thailand.

Finally, to further curtail the use of long term Visas, retirees with O, O-A(USA) or O-X (Europe and Australia...), visas are required as of October 31, 2019 to provide Proof of Medical Insurance inpatient ฿400k/year AND Insurance outpatient of ฿40,000/year, provided by a Thai office based insurance provider appearing on the immigration approved list
http://long stay.tgia.org  

OR

if you have foreign insurance you must submit a form to your insurer to be completed signed and notarized to show you have foreign medical insurance. Coverage in Thailand.   

To claim foreign insurance coverage, you will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by your insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Actions to Take:

·        Visit the Royal Thai Embassywebsite to review visa requirements.

·        Learn more about Thai health insurance policy options.

·        Learn more about Insurance Providers for Overseas Coverage.

All these restrictions have thinned the Falang available renters and increased the number of vacant available rooms and this in turn rental market of condos SUBSTANTIALLY.

Edited by dickygozinya
Link