IGNORED

Condo. Where to buy with a budget of under $50k.

popeye72

Hi all. 

I'll be in Pattaya in late June and I will be staying for 1 months only. I would like to see some Condo properties in the $30-50k US budget range. Pattaya/Jomtien area. Preferably under 6 years old and I'd like more than 30m2. 

I know I can put these criteria into a property search and get lots of results. But I'd like opinions on where offers best bang per buck.

I see this as a future retirement home in maybe 5 to 10 years. But also a place I can use in the meantime. 

Let's avoid the don't buy anything in Thailand discussion please. I have read this many times before. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Edited by popeye72
Adding Condo to description

A budget of 1m to 1.5m baht really means you are likely looking at a very small modern condo or a slightly larger older one. In all likelihood, not on a baht bus route.

In Central Pattaya I guess Nirun or Spanish Place?

I’ve looked at a lot of condos in Jomtien and somewhere like View Talay 1 (32sqm)or Jomtien Beach Condos (30sqm) are probably an option. The newer buildings like Laguna Beach, Amazon etc would be small (under 30 probably) at that budget but possible, I think. 

I’ll have a think...

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

...if you don’t mind being slightly further from baht bus then Baan Suan Lalana definitely worth a look. You’d get something a bit bigger there (40+?) though it is older. Realistically, you need your own transport - or use mototaxis - there.

Just now, davidge said:

...if you don’t mind being slightly further from baht bus then Baan Suan Lalana definitely worth a look. You’d get something a bit bigger there (40+?) though it is older. Realistically, you need your own transport - or use mototaxis - there.

I don't mind a place 30-40m2. My preference would be walking distance of a baht bus over larger than 35m2. 

I think below 30m2 is too small and over 40 is a bit excessive TBH for cooling. 

2 minutes ago, popeye72 said:

I don't mind a place 30-40m2. My preference would be walking distance of a baht bus over larger than 35m2. 

I think below 30m2 is too small and over 40 is a bit excessive TBH for cooling. 

In that case, I’d definitely look at VT1 (2 buildings but share a pool) and Jomtien Beach (5 buildings - 2 one side of second rd, 3 the other - share a pool).

Just thought, I did also look at Jomtien Plaza Residences (low rise NOT the high Plaza tower) and you might find something there - though I thought the place was shabby. Decent location though.

Here you go, in case you’re not familiar with Jomtien:

02AF0901-02F6-4CA4-B94F-D7FB2FFBCA58.jpeg

Red is VT1. Blue is Plaza Residences. Yellow Jomtien Beach.

(roughly :-)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, popeye72 said:

Thank you David. 

You’re welcome.

I was thinking Jomtien would be a good option as it's a little away from the madness but close enough. Maybe the other end Nakluea also might be better than central Pattaya. 

4 minutes ago, popeye72 said:

I was thinking Jomtien would be a good option as it's a little away from the madness but close enough. Maybe the other end Nakluea also might be better than central Pattaya. 

Well, depends what you want. I like Jomtien and stay there each trip now. Plenty of restaurants, bars for a quieter evening. Lots of baht buses going into Pattaya and back. Only issue is traffic going into Pattaya at certain times of the year. Can be very slow. I’m planning on spending longer in Pattaya in a few years so have been staying in different Jomtien condos each trip (usually a month) to get an idea of what it’s like living in various buildings.

I would suggest you try staying somewhere before buying.

I’ve not been to Naklua for many years so can’t help there.

11 hours ago, BobbyTits said:

Nirun Condo has your name written all over it.

I think the Nirun was built around 1997 and the rooms are around 26 sq meters for the low rise buildings unless you can find a place for sale where they have combined 2 units.  The high rise building units are I believe 40 sq meters.

1 hour ago, usexpat46 said:

I think the Nirun was built around 1997 and the rooms are around 26 sq meters for the low rise buildings unless you can find a place for sale where they have combined 2 units.  The high rise building units are I believe 40 sq meters.

Correct, the taller building has the better more prestigious accommodations or in Thai the "Bigger Face" condos.

Although 'older' buildings, these are in GOOD locations and fit your budget:

Pattaya Plaza Condos, Soi 4

Pattaya Centre Condos, S. Pattaya Rd

Pattaya Beach Condos, Soi 13

1 hour ago, galt67 said:

Although 'older' buildings, these are in GOOD locations and fit your budget:

Pattaya Plaza Condos, Soi 4

Pattaya Centre Condos, S. Pattaya Rd

Pattaya Beach Condos, Soi 13

For under 1.5 million baht?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davidge said:

I would suggest you try staying somewhere before buying.

Golden advice  :Clap:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kansuwan said:

Golden advice  :Clap:

Yea. In a perfect world I could stay a month in each place and decide which one I like. However I have a job and can't do that. 

This will be a first recce of potential properties. I will get a feel for something I like then decide what to do after. I won't be in a position to buy until November. So I have some time. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, popeye72 said:

Yea. In a perfect world I could stay a month in each place and decide which one I like. However I have a job and can't do that. 

This will be a first recce of potential properties. I will get a feel for something I like then decide what to do after. I won't be in a position to buy until November. So I have some time. 

Good luck mate.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

If you look at Jomtien Beach condos, the one on the map marked in yellow, with 3 short towers side by side, take a walk all around the property and avoid ones facing the back. I ride my bike past those towers from Jomtien 2nd Road up to Pattaya Bungy/Go Karts and the soi is always full of garbage and soi dogs and quite often the garbage is set on fire. Not the greatest view or smell. It's worse farther up mind you, 1/2 way to the go kart track.

Assuming condos don't have a view of the front and the back at the same time the ones facing the front might be OK, as would be across the street.

When I first came upon the facility coming from Thepprasit I thought it was a government housing project. 

1 million baht is only going to get you an old/out of the way/run down/small type of condo. If that is your budget i would suggest you look at renting rather than buying. Do you really want to spend your retirement in that sort of place. You can rent a reasonable condo in say VT2 for 10,000 a month.

• Like 2

For the record - I invested in a 96 sqaure metre two bedroom Condo in the Jomtien area. I think  if you are looking for a reasonable size Condo, minimum 40SM in the Jomtien area adjacent to the Baht Bus route then your budget is not realistic. In reality you will need to either reduce you expectations or increase your budget by at least 50%, say US$75K. Undoubtedly there will be Condos in your stated price range. However, they may be OK for a short term holiday trip but they not be suitable for long term occupancy. I found residing full time in Jomtien in a Condo is a completely different experience than renting one for a few months at a time while on vacation.

Basically, on vacation you tend not to spend  much time in the Condo as you are out partying every night. Residing in Jomtien full time - you will inevitably reduce the partying time and increase indoor Condo time. So it is important to make it a comfortable and relaxing space undisturbed by noisy inconsiderate cheap charlie piss heads.  IMHO, that is where your current budget will take you. But you may be OK with that.         

Getting a bicycle or motorbike would open everything up, so not tied to a baht bus route.

No need to live central, after a few years of central you may well be happy further out e.g Walking St becomes less of a draw.

Authorities are making getting a retirement visa increasingly difficult, do you really want to buy with that going on.

If you fancy Jomtien, Jomtien Beach Condominiums is well run and cheap.

Although people turn their nose up at Nirun Condos, people living there seem to like it, a lot of open space next to it also. Many interiors have been refurbished.

Good deals in Pratamak too

• Like 2

On 29/04/2019 at 21:15, davidge said:

For under 1.5 million baht?

Yes, correct.

You can find 35sqm for ABOUT 1.5mB in these buildings.

Walk in and speak to the Juristic office about availability. Alternatively, check the local newspapers.

Edited by galt67
add

On 30/04/2019 at 14:01, Scuba+ said:

Getting a bicycle or motorbike would open everything up, so not tied to a baht bus route.

Sure do you want to be riding the motorcycle back home after 10 beers past the Police check point?