IGNORED

Raining season June July

koolgirl1985

We intend to visit Pattaya in the Month of June or July, I know it's going to be a raining season but my friends wife is on a mobility scooter. Will she be OK with a mobility scooter on the foot path or is it going to be Flood every where. Can someone guide us will the rain water be too much on the road and footpath

Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It really depends on where you are staying some places flood really badly but what I would say is if your caught out in the rain seek shelter and wait till the rain stops. The flooding will take an hour or so to go away and it should be good to go after that. Longest I’ve been stuck in a bar was 4 hours. It also doesn’t happen that often 

28 minutes ago, koolgirl1985 said:

We intend to visit Pattaya in the Month of June or July, I know it's going to be a raining season but my friends wife is on a mobility scooter. Will she be OK with a mobility scooter on the foot path or is it going to be Flood every where. Can someone guide us will the rain water be too much on the road and footpath

Thanks

Expect serious flooding which will damage a scooter should you get caught out, it does not rain it POURS for an hour or so solid especially in the late afternoons

47 minutes ago, koolgirl1985 said:

Thanks

I have a few friends wheelchair dependant and one who comes in a mobility battery chair forget using most of the pavements they are shit and whilst some are ok you may find further along you cant get off and need to retrace your steps

Despite what you may think along side the road is better and by and large nearly everyone will respect you giving a pretty good space

As to rain short sharp showers that may and sometimes do last a while but unlikely to be swamped out and certainly you would have lots of warning to seek higher or dryer areas

Rain during this time is IMO not bad and many days you get nowt

Flooding could be an issue, but you normally have plenty of time to get to high ground.  At worst you find yourself trapped inside a bar or restaurant until the waters recede, which usually doesn't take very long.

For me the bigger concern would be the disrepair of the sidewalks and streets during even nice weather.  Plenty of potholes to reek havoc on a mobility scooter.  

Has she been successful getting around Pattaya in a mobility scooter in the past?  If so, I wouldn't worry too much about visiting in June or July.  

it can rain any time and if it's hard enough there can be flooding. however it's pretty short lived and drains away fairly quickly.

the main wet months in pattaya are september and october so june /july any problem should be fairly minimal.

Hmmmm, electric scooter in a tropical downpour/flood.  Make sure your terminals are waterproof.

the footpaths can be tough even to walk on at times, just have to be patient and accept that you’ll have to double back a bit.  As above, the thais will give a wheelie respect.  You may even find crossing the road less hazardous than walking alone.

Was there almost all June last year. It rained heavy on one day all morning. Rest didn’t rain at all. 

Was there almost all June last year. It rained heavy on one day all morning. Rest didn’t rain at all. 
Thanks for all good advice

On 25/04/2019 at 21:58, koolgirl1985 said:

As Mr Medic said, you are better off using the side of the road, not the footpath (if there is one).

It is tropical, so 30 minutes to 1 hour downpour (normally 30 minutes), then it normally stops. When you feel the wind pick up and the air change, you have about 5 to 10 minutes to find somewhere to rest up for 30 mins to 1 hour.

In my observations, the local Thai people are very respectful and helpful of people with mobility issues.

The flooding takes place when the downpour keeps going for several hours, which happens about 5 or 6 times a year.

Simple really, if it feels like rain is coming or if it starts raining, sit in a shop/bar/restaurant for 30 mins ish, then off you go again.

Archived