Sign in to follow this  
ctp2018

HCMC - Airport Transportation?

ctp2018

Planning to visit Ho Chi Minh City in the near future, and would like to find out if grab ride share is still used to travel to the main city area, District 1?

Apparently, Grab took over from Uber recently, and is now king of the hill in terms of ride sharing in Ho Chi Minh city. I know that Vinasun and Mai Linh are the premier taxi services,  but I think it’s easier to use grab ride share if available.

ctp2018
Posted (edited)

Found this video on YouTube that describes how Grab works in Ho Chi Minh City. Not perfect, but it gives you some idea how it works.

Edited by ctp2018

seal

theres a bus that goes from airport to d1..cheap as chips.

search youtube for info.

depending on time of day grab to airport about 100k and taxi is 150k.

grab plays games with their rates.depending on times and if they r busy.

ctp2018
11 minutes ago, seal said:

theres a bus that goes from airport to d1..cheap as chips.

depending on time of day grab to airport about 100k and taxi is 150k.

grab plays games with their rates.depending on times and if they r busy.

Thanks for the info! I posted a link to the YouTube video on the bus to District one. Actually costs less than one dollar. 

Tidiver

The Yellow bus 109 is a great option. It takes you right to the center of D1. Sept park is the final destination or Departure back to the AP.

Wifi is free, english speaking staff and safe way to travel to  D1. The bus is set up for luggage versus normal city bus.

Give it a try.

Madzar

Mai Lin and Vinasun have dedicated stands at the airport and grab is easy to use if you have mobile data.

I found the mai lin stand the easiest to find as they are all in green and all you have to do is just turn left as you leave the airports main doors.

Ignore all the touts offering you a taxi service they are most likely going to rip you off.

biggles

We used taxis for a month around Vietnam and never had a problem. They all used the meter, tho english was often a problem. Taxis meter charge is based on size, so that big, heavy SUv is gonna cost 40-60% more than the small four seater car. A decal on the door gives the flagfall ahd mileage charges.  Vinasun and Mailin were excellent but we had no hassles in HCMC, Nha Trang or Dalat

ctp2018
9 minutes ago, biggles said:

We used taxis for a month around Vietnam and never had a problem.

Would you recommend using Grab, in addition to the Vinasun and Mai Linh taxis in Ho Chi Minh City? I plan to have the grab app downloaded on my Google Fi phone on arrival in Ho Chi Minh City.

ctp2018
7 hours ago, Tidiver said:

The Yellow bus 109 is a great option. It takes you right to the center of D1. Sept park is the final destination or Departure back to the AP.

Wifi is free, english speaking staff and safe way to travel to  D1. The bus is set up for luggage versus normal city bus.

I have to agree that it does sound like a good option, especially with the English speaking staff. Do you know if the airport return trip makes many stops? 

TakeItEasyDarling

I used GRAB out there it's fine from major landmarks but GPS on the phone isn't very accurate sometimes the pick up point was on another street, I speak zero Vietnamese so talking the driver in was impossible had to cancel a few. Didn't have any issues with cabs I flagged down though had to show them the location I wanted on google maps as they couldn't understand a word I said.

ctp2018
15 minutes ago, TakeItEasyDarling said:

I used GRAB out there it's fine from major landmarks but GPS on the phone isn't very accurate.

I was curious if you are using a local Sim card in your phone? I was planning to use Google Fi  phone, Moto G7 with Google Maps.  Seems odd that GPS would not be accurate in Ho Chi Minh City.

hoopbhoy

Used Vinasun regularly and tracked route on phone. Never had any obvious lengthy detours and price was always close to expected fare. Couldn't fault them. 

TakeItEasyDarling
14 hours ago, ctp2018 said:

I was curious if you are using a local Sim card in your phone? I was planning to use Google Fi  phone, Moto G7 with Google Maps.  Seems odd that GPS would not be accurate in Ho Chi Minh City.

Can get a Sim at the airport or theres plenty of shops around Bui Vien St that sell them I got a data only Sim for $10 lasted 2 weeks without needing a top up. Google Maps worked but the tracker was slow sometimes it didn't update so I thought I was behind where I was then when It updated I'd gone past the location etc. Never had this issue anywhere else so I'm assuming its either the Sim I was using or the coverage in HCMC was shit.

ctp2018
9 hours ago, TakeItEasyDarling said:

Can get a Sim at the airport or theres plenty of shops around Bui Vien St that sell them I got a data only Sim for $10 lasted 2 weeks without needing a top up. 

My guess is that the coverage was causing the  lag.  I am reading that Vietnam has upgraded their coverage recently. Could you tell me when you were last in Vietnam. Thanks for the help. :)

lvartist

Spent 30 days in Saigon 18 months ago. Less than $10 U.S. for sim/data. Lasted the entire 30 days. Great coverage everywhere in Saigon. Regularly used the GPS for directions. No issues. I suspect the service is even better now. Will be in back in the city 2 weeks from today. Will let you know.

ctp2018
40 minutes ago, lvartist said:

Spent 30 days in Saigon 18 months ago. Less than $10 U.S. for sim/data. Will be in back in the city 2 weeks from today. Will let you know.

Thanks a lot for the post! Will be very anxious to hear about the performance of the Internet there. Do you plan to use Grab taxi to get from the airport to town? Also, If you hear any comments about Google Fi from other travelers please let us know. Thx. :)

lvartist

Internet was great then. Likely the same or probably better now. This is 2019. It is not 2009. Just spent 30 days in Thailand. Internet worked fine everywhere. Now in Phnom Penh. Internet works great here.  Cell service also excellent here. 4G lte . In fact it works better here compared to my AT&T service in the USA.

Transportation from SGN to district 1.  Why obsess over it.  In 2017 I grabbed a cab in front of the airport at the "approved" pickup location (just like at BKK). Cab available immediately. Brand name irrelevant!! Driver entered destination in his phone.  Straight to my hotel in District 1 in about 30 minutes. Total cost including tip....about $8 U.S. How much will I save with Grab? A buck, 2 bucks? Who cares? A bus to save another buck or two? Really?  You will likely spent that on a beer. 

ctp2018
Posted (edited)

On 07/04/2019 at 00:57,  Madzar said: 

Not hard at all just catch vinasun or mai linh. Grab is also easy to use and cheap.

I learned about Grab after a day and never went back. Great app and so easy to order taxis and bikes.

Just want to learn out grab works right off the bat! I plan to use grab all over Ho Chi Minh City. I know there are other modes of transportation, taxis available, but a Grab seems like the best option.  Other board members have stated similar viewpoints. :wink:

Edited by ctp2018

TakeItEasyDarling
On 01/05/2019 at 17:52, ctp2018 said:

My guess is that the coverage was causing the  lag.  I am reading that Vietnam has upgraded their coverage recently. Could you tell me when you were last in Vietnam. Thanks for the help. :)

I left on 6th of March so not too long ago might be different with a different carrier didn't have a big impact on the trip normal taxis were relatively easy to find and pretty cheap. Had a decent trip but the mongering there sucked but not in the good way, chicks in apocalypse were asking for $150 they weren't that attractive either so I didn't bother. Got a BJ at smiley bar the chick stopped half way through and hassled for another drink which spoiled the mood and then I got down stairs to find they'd added another 800k dong to my bill on top of the agreed price ended up costing about $80 for an unenthusiastic rushed BJ. Aranged a meet up with a chick from scout and a completely different chick turned up she was in her 50's and pretty dam ugly, still fucked her but wasn't my finest mongering experience. 

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, TakeItEasyDarling said:

I left on 6th of March so not too long ago. Had a decent trip but the mongering there sucked but not in the good way, chicks in apocalypse were asking for $150 they weren't that attractive either so I didn't bother. Got a BJ at smiley bar the chick stopped half way through and hassled for another drink which spoiled the mood and then I got down stairs to find they'd added another 800k dong to my bill on top of the agreed price ended up costing about $80 for an unenthusiastic rushed BJ.

Thanks a lot for the info on your trip to Ho Chi Minh City! Regarding the phone support in Vietnam, even Google could not tell me for sure which carriers they use in Ho Chi Minh City. They keep assuring me that it is 4G, but I’m not so sure.

Don’t feel bad about being scammed there, a lady that cuts my hair is from Vietnam, and even she got scammed on a return trip! I guess it’s good to see new places, but the risk of getting ripped off can sure be a deterrent to travel. 

Edited by ctp2018

TakeItEasyDarling
8 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Thanks a lot for the info on your trip to Ho Chi Minh City! Regarding the phone support in Vietnam, even Google could not tell me for sure which carriers they use in Ho Chi Minh City. They keep assuring me that it is 4G, but I’m not so sure.

Don’t feel bad about being scammed there, a lady that cuts my hair is from Vietnam, and even she got scammed on a return trip! I guess it’s good to see new places, but the risk of getting ripped off can you sure be a deterrent to travel. 

Other than the mongering it was a good trip had a look round the Chu Chi tunnels which was interesting, the foods great there and the people are friendly they seem a lot more talkative than Thai's. The nightlife is pretty decent theres a few rooftop bars which were worth a look expensive by Vietnamese standards cheap as fuck compared to the rest of the world and Bui Vien Street is fun, get an eclectic mix of people and it's open late. 

lvartist

My 30 days there were scam free.  Great city. Food better than Thailand (I have spent 10 months in Thailand). Friendly people particularly if you are an American. Everyday I was stopped on the street by people wanting to talk to me. They will talk to you all day unless you break off the conversation. English very common. Far better than in Thailand. Vietnam like China emphasizes English. Kids in  English classes at an early age. English schools a major industry. Desperate for expats as English teachers. 

The "girl" situation different than Thailand.  But where in the world would one find a similarity?

In 2 weeks I am back to Saigon for 2 months. Now in Phnom Penh for 3 weeks after 30 days in Thailand. No longer that impressed with Thailand. Happy to leave. But that is just me. To those who love it.....enjoy!!!  We all have different priorities in life that constantly evolve. The Thailand I first visited in 2011 not the same today. Again....just my experience. Yours may be different.

Ludhamlad

I'm here now, arrived on Wednesday, Mobiphone sim with 10GB of data, 2 weeks use cost 150K dong bought from the airport and changed a small amount of GBP at the same place.  She set it up for me and it was my first time of using Grab, driver never spoke but the price was very reasonable, didn't try to overcharge me, same last night too, it's the best way to get about.

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

I'm here now, arrived on Wednesday, Mobiphone sim with 10GB of data, 2 weeks use cost 150K dong bought from the airport and changed a small amount of GBP at the same place.  She set it up for me and it was my first time of using Grab, driver never spoke but the price was very reasonable, didn't try to overcharge me, same last night too, it's the best way to get about.

Thanks a lot for making the post from Ho Chi Minh City! It sounds like the lady that does the currency exchange at the airport did well by you. I have read in the past were some others have had problems with her. Also, getting the Sim card set up at the airport sounds like it’s a great idea, especially with  10GB of data.  I still want to try to use Google Fi at the airport to see if it works well, if not then I will move to local Sim card. It’s great that grab taxi works so well, I hope it continues to be great in Ho Chi Minh City. Where did  you meet the grab driver at the airport?  Others have said they had to meet away from the main area, so I was curious about that. 

Please  let us know how the nightlife is working out for you, and if you have a chance to find the “bia om” (beer hug) spots. As I read more and more about HCMC, I’m coming to the conclusion that there is some great night live but you really have to know how to avail yourself of it. Keep up the good work!  :wink:

Edited by ctp2018

ctp2018
Posted (edited)

Ludhamlad, I forgot to ask about how you used the grab taxi in HCMC. I understand you pay with cash using the grab app, but did you throw in a tip, or did you just pay what was showing on your phone? Thanks. :Clap1:

Edited by ctp2018