IGNORED

Train to Hua Hin

dickie389

I know I'll probably end up being talked out of this for reasons of slowness, price and unreliablity, but I'm curious about the logistics for getting a train from Bangkok to Hua Hin.

From what I read, it takes about 4 hours, which, for some reason is slower than the bus.  On the plus side, I'm guessing it'd be a more picturesque trip - or maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Was it a postive or negative trip?

I'd appreciate tapping into you guy's wisdom.

Cheers.

It takes 4-5 hours.  3rd class costs 44 baht, don’t need a/c if the train is moving.

Retired

6 hours ago, dickie389 said:

I'm curious about the logistics for getting a train from Bangkok to Hua Hin.

From what I read, it takes about 4 hours,

The logistics are basically that you go to the station, buy a ticket and get on the train. At Hua Hin you get off and take a taxi to your hotel.

The timetable is on the web; in Google enter 'Train Bangkok to Hua Hin'. All will be revealed  including prices.

The road trip is not enjoyable, miles of busy highway with lots of traffic jams especially nearer Bangkok. I've done it two or three times and next time, if coming from Bangkok, it's the train for me.

For Pattaya to/from Hua Hin, I will try the ferry. Much quicker.

Edited by Bonkabit

Travel Vlog

1555904395.jpg

A few weeks ago I went to visit in Hua Hin. I thought your might be interested to see their beach and food through my eyes. I also take you to a couple of my favourite seafood restaunrats I always go every time I am in this lovely beach town. 

Please let me know what you think about my first travel vlog. If you think it is good I can do more vlogs in the future. Watch now HERE

• Like 2

The 08:05 am, or thereabouts, special express from Bangkok, is the way to go. A/C throughout.  Gets you into Hua Hin at 11:30am if on time. It is comfortable and a pretty decent trip. The train number is 43 Special Express... it continues on to Surat Thani.

Edited by dave01

On 23/04/2019 at 00:11, Piece Corp said:

It takes 4-5 hours.  3rd class costs 44 baht, don’t need a/c if the train is moving.

On 23/04/2019 at 01:38, dave01 said:

The 08:05 am, or thereabouts, special express from Bangkok, is the way to go. A/C throughout.  Gets you into Hua Hin at 11:30am if on time. It is comfortable and a pretty decent trip. The train number is 43 Special Express... it continues on to Surat Thani.

Many thanks guys.  It certainly doesn't look as daunting as I'd initially imagined.

The boat ride from HH to Pattaya also looks like a lot of fun.

I took the bus from Bangkok to Huahin and back almost 2 weeks ago. Only 269 Baht, more comfortable than I would've thought. The bus back to Bangkok came in Huahin 1,5 hrs late due to traffic in Bangkok though, but for only about 15% of a taxi whick I took last year, I'm not complaining.

On 23/04/2019 at 10:23, Bonkabit said:

Travel Vlog

1555904395.jpg

A few weeks ago I went to visit in Hua Hin. I thought your might be interested to see their beach and food through my eyes. I also take you to a couple of my favourite seafood restaunrats I always go every time I am in this lovely beach town. 

Please let me know what you think about my first travel vlog. If you think it is good I can do more vlogs in the future. Watch now HERE

Loved it mate. Thank you.

image.png

On 23/04/2019 at 07:38, dave01 said:

Good to know this.  I tried to get the train back but it was a Saturday and when I went to buy a ticket in Hua Hin they had no first class tickets available and I didn't fancy being crammed in for 5 hours so I got the Bell Bus instead.

6 hours ago, Santana187 said:

I took the bus from Bangkok to Huahin and back almost 2 weeks ago. Only 269 Baht, more comfortable than I would've thought. The bus back to Bangkok came in Huahin 1,5 hrs late due to traffic in Bangkok though, but for only about 15% of a taxi whick I took last year, I'm not complaining.

I've used the bus twice, first time it got back in about 3 hrs 10 next time closer to 4 hrs but he approached the airport from a different route so hit more traffic.  You can get back for 130 Baht on the mini vans but I would rather pay the extra for a better seat and toilet on board.

1 hour ago, Ludhamlad said:

Good to know this.  I tried to get the train back but it was a Saturday and when I went to buy a ticket in Hua Hin they had no first class tickets available and I didn't fancy being crammed in for 5 hours so I got the Bell Bus instead.

I've used the bus twice, first time it got back in about 3 hrs 10 next time closer to 4 hrs but he approached the airport from a different route so hit more traffic.  You can get back for 130 Baht on the mini vans but I would rather pay the extra for a better seat and toilet on board.

Yeah, I used the minivan from Ekkamai to get to Huahin while carrying a big suitcase. Never again lol. Took the bus back to the airport. The bus to Pattaya and to Ban Phe, both from Ekkamai are a little older then the one to Huahin I found out.

6 minutes ago, Santana187 said:

Yeah, I used the minivan from Ekkamai to get to Huahin while carrying a big suitcase. Never again lol. Took the bus back to the airport. The bus to Pattaya and to Ban Phe, both from Ekkamai are a little older then the one to Huahin I found out.

Yea it's Bell Bus from the airport with just 23 seats, different one from Ekkamai.

Just bear in mind if leaving Hua Hin on a weekend it's best to book a seat.  I didn't and got there before 2 and the next one available wasn't until 5.  I got a taxi to take me to a massage shop to kill a few hours lol

Went to Hua Hin for the 1st time last trip, took the ferry route Pattaya/Hua Hin, 2 hours  very quick, this will be my choice of travel my next trip to Hua Hin, i think the train trip would be interesting but the 4-5 hours is a put off for me,  maybe i might consider a ferry to Hua Hin and then a train return to Bangkok or visa/versa, but a two way trip on the train i would not enjoy.

20 hours ago, Santana187 said:

As long as it isn't one of those minibuses. I've never been so scared in my life!

• 2 years later...

Have travelled by train between Bangkok and Hua Hin several times, and somehow it seems to be the proper way to go. Fare and journey time varies depending on what train and class you get.....

Fares start at 44 baht in 3rd class ordinary train (dep Bkk 14.10, arr Hua Hin 19.00.... though often delayed, arr near midnight one time I took it, but I still found lodgings)

Fares go up to several hundred baht for higher classes (which can be very comfortable) in faster trains, taking little over 4 hours, and more likely to be on time, or thereabouts. I paid about 450 for a very luxurious trip to Bangkok one morning on the special express that started its journey in Butterworth, Malaysia.

Hua Hin is not very big. It takes only about 15 minutes to saunter from the railway station to the beach, and you will find a wide range of lodgings on the way, with room rates of hundreds in simple but adequate guesthouses to thousands at the likes of the Hilton. Booking might be advisable in the high season and on festive occasions, but outside those times you should not have a problem. I have never booked lodgings in Hua Hin, and have always found something to my liking quite easily on many occasions. 

• Like 1