Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Scuba+

Dog Bite today

Scuba+

Annoyingly I got bitten by a Soi dog today.Near the Pratamak City sign. I've walked past the same dog 50+ times and it's always passive. Today it comes straight over and bites my leg.

So I go to Pattaya City Hospital, Rabies Injections in wound and vaccinations in each arm, 3,000 baht, too much for a govt hospital so for my follow up 3 injections I'll go to BangLamung hospital which is cheaper.

I went to Tourist Police on Pratamak to report this dangerous dog, although helpful and wrote a report for me in Thai asking for City Hall to pay compensation and remove the dog they said not their responsibility, it's City Hall, so after I go there to report it.

I spent an hour at City Hall and although helpful and discussing with many people, nothing came of it. Dog maybe picked up in 2-4 weeks, maybe.

So in conclusion, the usual bureaucracy, leading to nothing and loads and loads of people sitting about in offices doing fuck all.

Anyway the dog is by the helicopter pad, 3 dogs there usually, this dog is a short male. Next time I'll take a stick I didn't need previously.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rTPK437F61DUcAZ984ee239d66c449dfd123c1421dd67f89c.jpg

Mr_wimpy

Sorry to read this.  How bad’s your leg?  

keepitfun

Not good, hope it all sorts out.

I’m always nervous of the dogs....which they probably know. 

Last time  I went up that hill I had an umbrella....they thought it was a stick and stayed well clear.

WalterA

I like to go walking every day for a few hours and these dogs are a real nuisance .... I love dogs, I had dogs my whole life, but these stray dogs can be dangerous ... you don’t know what’s going to trigger them .... sudden move, car horn ..... and rabies is a real problem in Thailand , I believe this year alone over 40 people died of rabies ... Bangkok Post reports on this regularly ..... anyhow, don’t hold your breath, like the potholes, etc .... “Up To You Mister” .....

masterslayer169

Damn dude, I wouldn't wish a dig bite for my worst enemies. I experienced it once in my childhood and it feels horrifying. Please follow up on your medication and vaccinations as dog bites are no joke. 

About the city hall, I doubt anything will be done about it. You might even see the same dog in your future trips. Unfortunately thats how Asian countries work. It is up to you to stay safe. Take care mate. 

Bigtim73

Well done getting the injections... as an ex dog handler, I’ve been bitten once or twice...

tetanus needle also wouldn’t hurt, I also used to get a shot of penicillin....

all the best !

jaynewcastle

Good to hear you immediately went to get treatment, hope you have no further problems

I stopped walking around up there because of the number of dogs around, as well as on the road along to the lighthouse. I wouldn't mind at all if somebody went up there & shot them all

I dislike dogs anyway, but in SE Asia, they are a big problem & you get sick of the number of people who say they won't bite you & just walk past them. If they come for you, you haven't got much time to react at all

nzwolfgang

It’s nuts they don’t just go up there every few months and blast the little pricks away.   Buddhist thing I guess, they don’t want to kill anything.  Not sure how they get on with pests on farms, anyone know?

kickassmaxitaxi34
It’s nuts they don’t just go up there every few months and blast the little pricks away.   Buddhist thing I guess, they don’t want to kill anything.  Not sure how they get on with pests on farms, anyone know?

I have land up north outside of Udon Thani . Guys regularly come around the streets picking up stray dogs . They also offer to take away unwanted pets . They will trade a plastic bucket for a dog .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syco
Posted (edited)

If I were you , I'd buy one of those tasers from a Beach Rd stall .....and the next time you see the mongrel,  electrocute the fucker.

Edited by Syco

kokotinar

Had some scary encounter with Pattaya dogs as well last week. We accidentaly  walked off the main Sois with my mate  when returning to hotel , just to meet like 5 - 6 of them grouped together, while crossing some back dump street. I like the dogs, but this made me uncomfortable , you never know what to expect from them.

forcebwithu

Good that you're getting the rabies shots. According to the Department of Livestock Development Chon Buri is one of the 13 provinces classified as 'rabies red zones'. 

Article from last month.
13 provinces are 'rabies red zones'

Thirteen provinces have been declared "rabies red zones" after the deadly disease recently spread to several parts of the country, resulting in three deaths over the past two months.  

Cheerasak Pipatpongsopon, deputy director-general of the Department of Livestock Development,  said Monday the 13 provinces were Surin, Chon Buri, Sumut Prakan, Chachoengsao, Nan, Buri Ram, Ubon Ratchathaini, Chiang Rai, Rot Et, Songkhla, Rayong, Tak and Sri Sa Ket.  

The department also announced rabies-prone areas in 42 other provinces.  

According to the Department of Disease Control (DDC), three people have died from rabies while 247 domestic animals have been infected with the deadly virus since January.  

The number of rabid animals has increased 1.5 times compared to last year.  

Dogs were found to have contracted rabies most frequently while the disease was also found in cats and cows.

Scuba+
Good to hear you immediately went to get treatment, hope you have no further problems

I stopped walking around up there because of the number of dogs around, as well as on the road along to the lighthouse. I wouldn't mind at all if somebody went up there & shot them all

I dislike dogs anyway, but in SE Asia, they are a big problem & you get sick of the number of people who say they won't bite you & just walk past them. If they come for you, you haven't got much time to react at all

Generally I'd say I'm pretty good with Soi dogs, but this one took me by surprise. I've seen 50+ times before and always passive. It ran up to me, no barking, no obvious sign it was going to bite, I carried on walking and turned my back on it, BIG MISTAKE, it nipped my calf with 2 teeth. No pain, the injections were worse.

Next time I carry a stick and if it comes close again the stick is going down its throat

Scuba+
Sorry to read this.  How bad’s your leg?  
just a couple of puncture wounds

Scuba+
Not good, hope it all sorts out.
 I’m always nervous of the dogs....which they probably know. 
Last time  I went up that hill I had an umbrella....they thought it was a stick and stayed well clear.
I sometimes carry a stick, don't need it usually, morning has always been trouble free. Afternoons a bit more risky. Just the odd dog that barks for random reasons

Scuba+
Well done getting the injections... as an ex dog handler, I’ve been bitten once or twice...
tetanus needle also wouldn’t hurt, I also used to get a shot of penicillin....
all the best !
I checked my Tetanus and was 2 years ago so I'm safe with that

Scuba+

I have land up north outside of Udon Thani . Guys regularly come around the streets picking up stray dogs . They also offer to take away unwanted pets . They will trade a plastic bucket for a dog .

100s of Soi dogs around Pratamak area, most are ok. I've only seen a dog catcher once

LOTTELLEE WINNA

@Scuba+ Really sorry to hear about the bite mate. The route you take is my favorite walk in Pattaya. Thanks for sharing your story, it’s a timely reminder to us all.

I like dogs, indeed I had a Great Dane back in falangland, but I am massively careful around mutts in Thailand. 

You did well getting your jabs so quickly, hope everything is OK and the bite heals quickly.

Scuba+
If I were you , I'd buy one of those tasers from a Beach Rd stall .....and the next time you see the mongrel,  electrocute the fucker.
It deserves to be killed especially as it's going to be left there to bite others. No urgency from City Hall. They all sat down and went back to sleep

secret tom
46 minutes ago, kickassmaxitaxi34 said:

do they eat them

Syco
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
40 minutes ago, Syco said:

It deserves to be killed especially as it's going to be left there to bite others. No urgency from City Hall. They all sat down and went back to sleep

That's why you should take matters into your own hands , and euthanise the prick of a thing.

Sorry but I'm not a dog lover , you know that if you own a dog in Aus , when you take your dog out for a walk , and it does a shit ... the dog owner has to PICK UP THE DOG SHIT , put it in a bag and dispose of it ....it's got me fucked why anybody would do that.

Edited by Syco

LOTTELLEE WINNA
2 minutes ago, secret tom said:

do they eat them

Sakhon Nakhon is dog eating country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/352021/dogs-slaughtered-meat-sold-in-nakhon-phanom-sakon-nakhon

usexpat46

Most of the stray dogs that I see are to lazy to bother anyone, see many of them lying if front of 7-11s and Family Marts so that they can stay cool when customers enter and exit.  

Scuba+
[mention=131912]Scuba+[/mention] Really sorry to hear about the bite mate. The route you take is my favorite walk in Pattaya. Thanks for sharing your story, it’s a timely reminder to us all.
I like dogs, indeed I had a Great Dane back in falangland, but I am massively careful around mutts in Thailand. 
You did well getting your jabs so quickly, hope everything is OK and the bite heals quickly.
I didn't like carrying a stick before because I didn't need it, but I'll carry in future. But my mistake was turning my back on it. Not something I'd usually do, but this dog was repeatedly passive and never showed any sign of a being a threat or barking