Taa_Saparot

Canadian Dies After Falling From Zipline

Taa_Saparot

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/04/13/canadian-dies-after-falling-from-zipline-in-chiang-mai

CANADIAN DIES AFTER FALLING FROM ZIPLINE IN CHIANG MAI
By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter - April 13, 2019

539C89B1-87C5-46FB-929B-DCCD91AC9D3D-696

CHIANG MAI — A Canadian tourist died Saturday after falling from a zipline in the northern province of Chiang Mai.

Rescue officials said the 25-year-old tourist fell to his death while riding a zipline in a forest at the popular tourist destination Mae Kam Pong. His safety locks broke, causing him to plunge more than 50 meters into a creek. He died at the scene.

Read: Despite Safety Assurances, More Tourists Hurt at Adventure Attractions

Zipline operator Flight of the Gibbon said it would take full responsibility and compensate the victim’s family.

Workers at the zipline service said the safety locks broke shortly after the tourist, who reportedly weighed about 180 kilograms, took off from the starting point. One Hawaiian zipline operator put its maximum weight limit at 260 pounds, or around 118 kilograms.

The operator’s website states that people weighing more than 125 kilograms are not allowed to ride. It is not immediately clear why the tourist was allowed to do so.

Police suspect that the safety equipment could not hold his weight, adding that they found only three cables installed to hold customers, while there would normally be at least eight lines of cables to ensure safety.

Since 2016, Chiang Mai officials promised to improve safety standards of the many adventure tourism sites in the province following a string of serious or fatal accidents – including accidents at this very zipline operator. Flight of the Gibbon was ordered a temporary shut down after three Israeli tourists were injured after colliding into one another on the zipline and falling to the ground.

The same company had also been investigated in 2017 for having some of its properties built on protected forest land.

Chiang Mai’s zipline fatalities last happened in 2015, when two Chinese tourists died after falling from two separate zipline attractions, operated by Skyline Adventure and Flying Squirrels. Another Chinese tourist was injured while riding the Flying Squirrels’ zipline in 2016.

Taa_Saparot

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/04/14/no-charges-filed-over-zipline-fall-that-killed-canadian-police/

NO CHARGES FILED OVER ZIPLINE FALL THAT KILLED CANADIAN: POLICE
By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter - April 14, 2019

zipline_hed-696x452.jpg

CHIANG MAI — Police on Sunday said charges have yet to be filed in the ongoing investigation into the death of a Canadian tourist who died after falling from a zipline in Chiang Mai.

Local police in Mae On district said they are inspecting all equipment that was used on the tourist when he fell to his death Saturday morning while riding the zipline, which is operated by Flight of the Gibbon in Mae Kam Pong. The company in the meantime is allowed to operate normally.

Chiang Mai police chief Maj. Gen. Pichate Jiranantasin said today that investigators remain unable to file any charges, even though yesterday claimed a negligence charge had been filed. Further action apparently awaits a full autopsy and equipment inspection reports.

“I’ve ordered them to speed up the investigation as much as is possible,” he said.

The Forest Department said it would send a team of rangers to investigate the scene this afternoon. In 2017, it filed a lawsuit against the company for encroaching on protected forest land.

Police said the preliminary investigation suggests the zipline’s safety equipment could not hold the tourist’s weight and broke.

Photos provided by the authorities show broken clamps and a steel wire that appears to have been ripped apart.

Although provincial police chief Pichate said earlier that the victim weighed as much as 180 kilograms, he clarified today that there was an error in initial reports he received from his subordinates. The victim’s weight is now estimated at about 120 kilograms.

The company has yet to release a statement acknowledging the incident. According to the authorities, its representatives have pledged compensation and have cooperated with the investigation.

Flight of the Gibbon has been operating since 2007 and claims on its website to be “the largest and most trusted Zipline experience in Asia.”

Authorities ordered the company to temporarily shut down in 2016 after three Israeli tourists, including a 7-year-old boy, were seriously injured after crashing into one another on a zipline and fell to the ground. In 2015, an American and a Chinese tourist were seriously hurt after colliding into each other, also on Flight of the Gibbon’ zipline. The American woman was blinded in one eye as a result.

40 nil
1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Photos provided by the authorities show broken clamps and a steel wire that appears to have been ripped apart.

Although provincial police chief Pichate said earlier that the victim weighed as much as 180 kilograms, he clarified today that there was an error in initial reports he received from his subordinates. The victim’s weight is now estimated at about 120 kilograms.

60 kilos is a fair bit of weight to get wrong 

Atlas

Lost for words...

Ru4Real

Downsized to 125 Kg apparently.

JAI DEE MAK

If that is the line that failed then I am not surprised someone thought that it would hold in that configuration WTF.

And its said the ride is still open OMG.

I could go on all day , certification , annual inspection, risk assessment and on and on however I think  you get my  point.

I suspect there is a lot of Tea being drunk in that area.

JDM

BobbyTits

Anyone slide down the cable line at Pattaya Park?

felix the cat

Shit..i've been on that zip-line in CM & had a great time!....What an absolute fuck-up by the operators, 118kg is the maximum weight, & the Canadian tourist was 180kg.....just by looking at him it should have brought up a ''red flag''    

Taa_Saparot
33 minutes ago, felix the cat said:

What an absolute fuck-up by the operators, 118kg is the maximum weight, & the Canadian tourist was 180kg.....

The latest guess-timate was 122kg

kansuwan
52 minutes ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

If that is the line that failed then I am not surprised someone thought that it would hold in that configuration WTF.

I could go on all day , certification , annual inspection, risk assessment and on and on however I think  you get my  point.

I suspect there is a lot of Tea being drunk in that area.

JDM

No need to go on about it - obvious case of suicide.

Scuba+

Who would have guessed health and safety checks were insufficient. I went to Koh Larn this week on the ferry, still only half of the passengers have life jackets

Jarrod2518
1 hour ago, kansuwan said:

I am in Chiang Mai at present. The locals advised the police have closed it down. 

Gnorman
4 hours ago, BobbyTits said:

Not a fucking chance I would do anything like that in Thailand.

Roadrunner
4 hours ago, BobbyTits said:

There is a vid on youtube somewhere, where a Thai guy at the bottom is slowing down a big flywheel with his gloved hands , while someone descends ... 

So i am with Gnorman on that one .. 

cbmgolfer

The lines should be designed to handle 250 kg ... but TIT ... I would never do that in Thailand.  I know too much.