Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Taa_Saparot

Pattaya’s Chronic Flooding

Taa_Saparot

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/city-lays-out-flood-prevention-plan-252083

City lays out flood prevention plan
By PCPR April 12, 2019

n1-A-09-08-City-5-7-years-flood-plan.jpg

The plan calls for digging new drainage canals, installing larger drainpipes, and even creating 5-meter drainage tunnels in some areas.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome met April 9 with Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning officials to discuss project advisor, Assoc. Prof. Chukiat Subpaisan’s model to solve flood problems “as soon as possible”.

In the north, a water drainage project will be built on the east side of the railway to drain water into the Huay Yai and Naklua canals.

The 5-meter water tunnels will begin in three areas, at a watershed above the railway, at the upper area of Nongprue Municipality, and at Khao Talo.

Three major water tunnels also will be installed at Sukhumvit Road, to drain off into South Pattaya; Thepprasit Road, and Pattaya 3rd Road at Mum Aroy Restaurant. The floodwaters from these tunnels will be directed to natural outlets. The meeting did not reveal what or where these natural outlets are located.

The city will also replace old, 10cm drainpipes with new, 1.50-3.00 meter drainpipes.

The project, to be managed with cooperation from the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning, will be undertaken in 3 areas:

First, Pattaya Sub-basin area covering 43.78 square kilometers, where Pattaya’s highest-density population resides.

Second, Naklua Canal – Huay Mabprachan Sub-basin area and the Kratinglai sub-basin area covering 118.63 square kilometers. Pattaya’s medium-density population.

Third, the Huay Yai sub-basin area covering 64.06 square kilometers, a low-density suburban area made up of rural communities and agricultural.

The plan to dig and install the 5-meter water tunnels has been sent to the Minister of Interior and the Prime Minister, who will need to sign off on it before construction can begin. (PCPR)

Taa_Saparot

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/millions-spent-but-central-pattaya-roadworks-fail-to-end-flooding-253277

Millions spent, but central Pattaya roadworks fail to end flooding
By Jetsada HomklinApril 24, 2019

n1-A-22-04-Soi-Arunothai.jpg

Central Pattaya residents are complaining that nearly 3 million baht in roadwork has failed to alleviate the flooding it targeted.

Nattapong Santaveesuk of the city’s Engineering Department toured two sidestreets in the Soi Arunothai Community with neighborhood representative Amnuay Muangthong on April 22.

Residents living on Soi Charoensuk and Soi Udomsuk said their streets were ripped up, new drainage pipes laid and the road resurfaced all with the goal of ending years of chronic flooding.

It didn’t work.

Despite the 1.3 million baht spent on Soi Udomsuk and 1.6 million spent on Soi Charoensuk, both streets continue to flood and take a long time to drain, neighbors complained.

Finished this month, both projects are under warranty for two more years, so contractors may be sent back to rip up the roads again to fix what they failed to do the first time.

forcebwithu

I live in the Soi Arunothai area and agree the flooding is as bad as it ever was. But I'm not familiar with Soi Charoensuk and Soi Udomsuk. Anyone know where these soi's are located?

Taa_Saparot

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-eyes-35-million-baht-for-flood-relief-pumps-255595

Pattaya eyes 35 million baht for flood-relief pumps
By Boonlua Chatree - May 25, 2019

Local-news-1-M-22-04-new-flood-pump-mach

Pattaya engineers have requested 35 million baht to buy 13 more pumps to dry out flood-ravaged sections of the city.

Sanitation Engineering Department chief Anuwat Thongkam said the budget request will be considered by the Pattaya City Council May 27.

Pattaya has a long-term plan to spend 800 million baht to manage storm drainage on Railway Road and shuttle it to canals to the north and south.

In the mid-term, Pattaya also has a list of 20 smaller projects to relieve chronic flooding around the city including the Nongyai Community, Thepprasit Road, Pattaya Floating Market, Mum Aroi intersection on Third Road, southern Sukhumvit Road and Soi Wat Thamsamakkee.

LesPaulPTA

Gravy train or on this case water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southsidebruce
Posted (edited)

I live in a pretty decent/nice housing development in East Pattaya... Fortunately the roads in our neighborhood haven't flooded during the 3 years we have lived here... sometimes I think I'd like to move back to Central Pattaya (lived in Pratunmak for 2 years when I first moved to Pattaya), and when I think about it, I definitely keep in mind the flooding I have seen over the years in Central Pattaya - places to DEFINITELY avoid, if at all possible... of course East Pattaya has its flood areas as well - like the mighty river that runs down Soi Khao Noi and Soi Khao Talo when we get heavy rain, and RailRoad Track road - portions of it, and parts of Sukhumvit... 

Edited by southsidebruce

ricktoronto

The flatlands between the go-kart/bungee and Jomtien 2nd Road flood faster than anyplace I have seen. I got caught about 500m from the go-karts and in 5 minutes there was 9 inches of water on the road. I had to hole up at the track until it passed. 

udontony

It would be good if they could stop the flooding in Pattaya but I fear that the plans they have might help in some areas but will make it worse in others.  5 meter diameter tunnels is a massive undertaking and to channel water into them is not easy but when the water is discharged that is where the biggest problems will be.  What ever is done it is being done far too late in the day, all this should have been done many years ago.   

MaiMeSatang
13 minutes ago, udontony said:

What ever is done it is being done far too late in the day, all this should have been done many years ago.   

I reckon they need to think outside the box.  Sewers are outdated and offer no benefit to the community other than moving feces around.

What I suggest would be a new type of system.  One that is multi use.  A sewage system that would be a tourist attraction.  The envy of the world.  The idea is simple.

Above ground highly elevated open sewers that perform a dual role as jet ski taxi ways.  Basically you would climb a ladder and wait by a man made canal about 30 feet above the ground and for some somchai to come along and pick you up on a jet ski and ride through the channel of shit between drinking venues.  Simple.  Elegant.  Probably smells less than the current system.

You could call it the pattaya shit train and sell day passes just like the BTS, but better.  Much better.  And Mexico is going to pay for it.

Explorer8939
Posted (edited)
On 12/04/2019 at 19:11, Taa_Saparot said:

City lays out flood prevention plan
By PCPR April 12, 2019

The plan calls for digging new drainage canals, installing larger drainpipes, and even creating 5-meter drainage tunnels in some areas.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome met April 9 with Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning officials to discuss project advisor, Assoc. Prof. Chukiat Subpaisan’s model to solve flood problems “as soon as possible”.

In the north, a water drainage project will be built on the east side of the railway to drain water into the Huay Yai and Naklua canals.

The 5-meter water tunnels will begin in three areas, at a watershed above the railway, at the upper area of Nongprue Municipality, and at Khao Talo.

Three major water tunnels also will be installed at Sukhumvit Road, to drain off into South Pattaya; Thepprasit Road, and Pattaya 3rd Road at Mum Aroy Restaurant. The floodwaters from these tunnels will be directed to natural outlets. The meeting did not reveal what or where these natural outlets are located.

The city will also replace old, 10cm drainpipes with new, 1.50-3.00 meter drainpipes.

The plan to dig and install the 5-meter water tunnels has been sent to the Minister of Interior and the Prime Minister, who will need to sign off on it before construction can begin. (PCPR)

Is this scheduled before or after Pattaya sends an expedition to Mars?

Edited by Explorer8939

Explorer8939
43 minutes ago, udontony said:

It would be good if they could stop the flooding in Pattaya but I fear that the plans they have might help in some areas but will make it worse in others.  5 meter diameter tunnels is a massive undertaking and to channel water into them is not easy but when the water is discharged that is where the biggest problems will be.  What ever is done it is being done far too late in the day, all this should have been done many years ago.   

Same with all that electrical wiring.

renovator
1 hour ago, Explorer8939 said:

Is this scheduled before or after Pattaya sends an expedition to Mars?

Digging up more work?555555

Taa_Saparot

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/residents-build-own-flood-control-system-after-pattayas-3-million-baht-project-fails-255927

Residents build own flood-control system after Pattaya’s 3-million-baht project fails
By Jetsada HomklinMay 30, 2019

Pattaya-news-1-M-28-01-Soi-Arunothai-uns

Central Pattaya residents are putting their hands in their own pockets to resolve flooding problems after the city spent nearly 3 million baht on a project that didn’t work.

Amnuay Muangthong of the Soi Arunothai Community said Pattaya spent 1.9 million baht to rebuild sois Charoensuk and Udomsuk and lay new drainage pipes to resolve chronic flooding.

The construction finished in January but the flooding didn’t.

It turns out the drains installed at each end of Soi Arunothai are too small, sending water shooting down the small sidestreets, just as it did before.

10 furious families, who already put up with damaging floods and months of roadwork disruptions, had banded together and bought four cubic meters of readymade concrete to create “water bumps” at the mouths of their streets to block most water from coming down their sois.

karandy
On 28/05/2019 at 08:24, udontony said:

i agree things should have been done many years ago as the city was growing--or booming 

they never had plans for drainage and infrastructure then, just an attitude of it will be ok 

things can be corrected,but the cost and disruption would be tremendous ,just look what happened with the suk tunnel ,years of misery for many ,

when these new giant pipes  slash tunnels go in there is no way the roads can be kept open  -cut and cover is very disruptive to the surroundings ,

then you have the problem of piping all the smaller sois  into the giant new system disrupting them as well .can you just imagine running giant pipes and closing off theprastit   pattaya tai - klang -buakhow  nightmare scenarios ,but the only way to do it -----do it once and do it right  , its the way forward

forcebwithu

The horse has already left the gate on this, but what they should have done is allowed for green space buffer zones to absorb runoff rather than concrete over everything in their rush to develop.

THAJEC

Never ending story. We can see every low season when bigger rains coming. Last time Sukhumwid road yesterday, when some cars has water on the top roof.

Pheat
12 hours ago, karandy said:

do it once and do it right  , its the way forward

Unfortunately will never happen ,the cost would be prohibitive running into many hundreds of  millions of Baht .

Santana187

I think it's time for Dutch engineers. We're really good at water management. :Number1a:

keepitfun
13 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The horse has already left the gate on this, but what they should have done is allowed for green space buffer zones to absorb runoff rather than concrete over everything in their rush to develop.

Crazy western logic.  Planning! Ha!

Explorer8939

There are actually plenty of empty places not too far from the beach. Some could be developed as drainage basins.

paulvds
6 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

There are actually plenty of empty places not too far from the beach. Some could be developed as drainage basins.

The city council will never be able to afford those premium pieces of land.

udontony
On 31/05/2019 at 13:18, paulvds said:

Especially after they have forked out baht for the five meter tunnels to take away the flood water!

Harry Brown
On 31/05/2019 at 14:18, paulvds said:

Town planning here in OZ can reclaim property and pay compensation  if it is deemed in the cities interest.  I would think most countries would have something similar. but agree with other it would be bloody expensive, as long as they don't reclaim Walking Street, Soi 6 or LK Metro. 555.

I'm sure in Jerry's thread he mentioned about property/land being reclaimed and compensation paid.

ricktoronto
On 12/04/2019 at 22:11, Taa_Saparot said:

You have to wonder what century they thought a 4" pipe would be adequate when a 2" X 4" downspout for one house is typical.  Sure 12 square inches vs. 8 is more but the downspout is for one side of one house. 

Going from 12 sq. in. to 11,000 sq. in. in one go, quite the upsize.

fforest
On 27/05/2019 at 16:14, Taa_Saparot said:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-eyes-35-million-baht-for-flood-relief-pumps-255595

Pattaya eyes 35 million baht for flood-relief pumps
By Boonlua Chatree - May 25, 2019

Local-news-1-M-22-04-new-flood-pump-mach

Pattaya engineers have requested 35 million baht to buy 13 more pumps to dry out flood-ravaged sections of the city.

Sanitation Engineering Department chief Anuwat Thongkam said the budget request will be considered by the Pattaya City Council May 27.

Pattaya has a long-term plan to spend 800 million baht to manage storm drainage on Railway Road and shuttle it to canals to the north and south.

In the mid-term, Pattaya also has a list of 20 smaller projects to relieve chronic flooding around the city including the Nongyai Community, Thepprasit Road, Pattaya Floating Market, Mum Aroi intersection on Third Road, southern Sukhumvit Road and Soi Wat Thamsamakkee.

Hey Chang how far back do you remember them talking about and working on the flooding problem?..........Ever since I first came here in 2005 they were working on the flooding problem....