td5855

So you want to live in Issan

gummy

Good story and possibly true for many in some respects. A form of escapism in many respects as you have alluded to. But just a couple of things you need to outline to complete the picture. What was your life story in those 21 years prior to your return to paradise in 2004 and secondly, 2004  - what was the development that allowed you to stay in Isan, Thailand , retired at 47 or worked, as you are 62 now ? Udon Thani for me, older than you and it took me many years and a few wives, making and loosing two fortunes to find true contentment. Funny old life.

HowieD

Looking forwards to reading more from both you gents! 

renovator

Carry on TD, how's the mutts by the way? Lovely bunch.

td5855
18 hours ago, gummy said:

Good story and possibly true for many in some respects. A form of escapism in many respects as you have alluded to. But just a couple of things you need to outline to complete the picture. What was your life story in those 21 years prior to your return to paradise in 2004 and secondly, 2004  - what was the development that allowed you to stay in Isan, Thailand , retired at 47 or worked, as you are 62 now ? Udon Thani for me, older than you and it took me many years and a few wives, making and loosing two fortunes to find true contentment. Funny old life.

Hello Gummy,

Thank you for the comment, to fill in as easily as possible. 

Not so much escapism more of getting away from places where you have no good/warm memories that make you smile.

Those 21 years could be a book in itself, never got married until my 30th year, married at 29 in March 1985, turned 30 in the August. 

Before marriage I had the attitude, "If it seems like a good idea, why not", even when drink where involved.  I tried my hand at motorbike racing, at 18 via the college took up boxing and become a fairly good club/county boxer at Lt Mdl, 70kg, whenever I came up against guys who had the most natural of talents, same as in bike racing I would lose.  But still fun punching people for free, only downside, they were punching you, sometimes a lot harder.  Living later in Chipping Sodbury some young farmers heard of me and I were invited to a drinking social wild partying club.  All I had to do were turn out as No2 for their 2nd XV. 

Marriage to the wrong woman changed my spirit, my life and how I viewed things

HowieD

Bloody good reading so far!

worldpunter

Don't need to go to the library ,  

Jebb

Good to see the thread resurrected TD. Thanks for sharing your story.

forcebwithu

A very good read indeed. TFP

Garzan
Posted (edited)

The young daughter likes to practice her makeup skills on our Guardian of the Manor. 

pop-soda.jpg.3cfcb31e63b2c1d494a888223b955470.jpg

Or maybe she is just trying to keep him out of the Thai Army. :-)

Soda.jpg.235869a2ae54a60e65e26fa22babf92e.jpg

Edited by Garzan

Garzan

For curiosities sake, why did you start the thread here rather than in "Expats". I think most of us are expats, and Isaan is where we live, rather than just a "trip". 555 Anyway, wherever it happens to live on PA, I'm glad to have a version of it back and functional. Bravo @td5855

Colin back in Pattaya

Hi TD,

Thanks a million for starting to tell the story of your life. It's a fascinating read so far, and this is only Day One.

Like many others, I'm awaiting tomorrow's episode with baited breath.

amar

Good job TD, thanks.
Good to keep things rolling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Danolo

Good writing... I look forward to more!

ronthebrummie

I’ve seen and read many topics on life in Issan etc sounds a wonderful lifestyle? Seen some lovely property you guys have bought or built but how do you get round the fact foreigners can’t buy land? Wouldn’t want my lady owning it, so Thai company? Just how secure are you?

td5855
3 hours ago, udontony said:

Just one day in and I am  trying hard to catch up on everything you have posted!   Bet there are many more stories out there that would be worth a read but not many that could write things so well.   One of my main reasons for wanting to live in Issan was to get away from the rat race that life would have been in the UK.   Well in a way I have succeeded but in other ways I have not.   Now working as much as ever but at least it is all self imposed and i can stop anytime I want.  Can holiday in Pattaya with very little cost and several times a year, could not do that from the UK.  I am working here to make our home as attractive as I can because I know there will be a time when I can do no more and then I want to be able to sit and appreciate what I have achieved!

UT,

I am hoping on this blog you post your journey from the UK to Udon Thani, same as @Garzan as others.  All the guys I have met in Anzac bar, have a book in them, most people think their life is quiet, tedious, it is if you have never left your town, never had a passport.  But, the colonial explorers of Issan have travelled far and taken many turns 

udontony
3 minutes ago, td5855 said:

UT,

I am hoping on this blog you post your journey from the UK to Udon Thani, same as @Garzan as others.  All the guys I have met in Anzac bar, have a book in them, most people think their life is quiet, tedious, it is if you have never left your town, never had a passport.  But, the colonial explorers of Issan have travelled far and taken many turns 

As you already know I have had a very different life, nearly always something exciting happening mainly because of the nature of what I did for a job but believe that excitement would not be so entertaining for others.   Nearly all the time my posts on PA are in answer to what I see others post and I try to help if I can with answers.

td5855
8 minutes ago, udontony said:

As you already know I have had a very different life, nearly always something exciting happening mainly because of the nature of what I did for a job but believe that excitement would not be so entertaining for others.   Nearly all the time my posts on PA are in answer to what I see others post and I try to help if I can with answers.

UT

That is why you journey would be so interesting.  It is different from mine, yet I never thought anything about it until my eldest boy thought it were "cool" where I had been, Africa and rabies injections were one tale one night in a bar.

Please post how you ended here in Issan, I implore others to do the same, the places we have passed through to our trip end are all different

Jebb
1 hour ago, td5855 said:

UT

That is why you journey would be so interesting.  It is different from mine, yet I never thought anything about it until my eldest boy thought it were "cool" where I had been, Africa and rabies injections were one tale one night in a bar.

Please post how you ended here in Issan, I implore others to do the same, the places we have passed through to our trip end are all different

Great idea TD, everyone has a story to tell (some even true) 555. It would be fantastic to hear everyones journey in life from ordinary Joe to Expat.

td5855
36 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Great idea TD, everyone has a story to tell (some even true) 555. It would be fantastic to hear everyones journey in life from ordinary Joe to Expat.

So true, when visiting UT met so many individuals, how and why the settled on this piece of ground is wondrous to hear.