IGNORED

Sim card help

Ken123tony

Hey all, 

I'm arriving in 2 weeks and I want to have a sim card for my time here. I just really want to use it for internet so data is the key for me. I will be in Thailand for about 15 or 16 days in total and also in Vietnam for 5 days.

Should I get one in Bangkok airport when I arrive? If not where in pattaya will I get one?

Is it possible to use the same sim card for Thailand and Vietnam?

Can you give me a range of prices?

Tia

Get the DTAC or AIS tourist SIM good for a month with 4.5GB data for 549 Baht. So what it's less than a month. It's not even $20 and it's simple and fast to obtain at the counter. DTAC allegedly has actual LTE while AIS does not but their UMTS networks are LTE fast anyway. You have to give them your ID to obtain the card and have it registered on the system so the airport booth, after you leave customs, is going to be faster than a Family Mart in Pattaya. 

There are some vendors I saw in HK with multi Asia SIM cards but they were expensive and were not big name cell networks, so who knows how good they are. 

Just get a week long SIM at whatever airport you arrive at in Vietnam. 

This is a better deal
unlimited data 

94EBBE55-666F-4BC6-8D9D-8D3636D0B79A.thumb.jpeg.ad08046e036686d6b66a93be3308d226.jpeg
Which company is offering this?

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

I've had a DTAC sim for the last 5 years, I just ask the lady to extend my expiry date.

Always cost 300 baht for 30 days unlimited data.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, lovermand66 said:

This is a better deal

unlimited data 

You need a SIM card to get that deal and pricewise will deal come about even

True move ...
You buy a 49 baht simcard and top the amount op

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info guys much appreciated 

On 07/04/2019 at 10:15, peterbkk2 said:

It is DTAC, not Truemove H. 49 baht for the SIM at the airport and then add 700 baht worth of credit to obtain it.

Problem may be that newly registered SIMs may not be eligible for the older truly unlimited packages, such as DTAC's 10 Mbps package above. Though that particular package may still work with newly registered SIMs.

Tourist SIMs bundles are particularly poor value. 550 baht for 4.5 GB of data or 600 baht for 6 GB is horrible.

A much better solution would be to buy any of the basic SIMs at the airport for 49 baht and then add the package that suits.

For instance; Truemove H SIM for 49 baht at the airport. Get them to add some credit at the booth for you, say 300 baht and then tap in either, according to intended usage; *900*1937# then Dial key for 5 GB(over seven days) for 106 baht or *900*1705# for 8 GB( 7 days) for 160 baht.

If you are frugal with your use of data, you can go for 2GB(7 days) for 53 baht; *900*1954#.

Just repeat at midnight on the seventh day for another seven days. Check the package expiry to ensure you don't go over and start using your credit.

You don't need to throw your money away to convince anyone that you are someone.

12 GB for  49 baht SIM + 106 baht(5GB) + 106 baht(5 GB) + 53 baht(2GB) = 314 baht covers your stay and gives you double the amount of data than  the Traveller's SIM 6 GB for 600 baht.

AIS offers similar value when you buy their cheapest unlimited package and utilise their add-ons.

On 08/04/2019 at 15:30, lovermand66 said:

True move ...
You buy a 49 baht simcard and top the amount op

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that's what I've got. Dial in the package when I land. Which package do you use?

I normally just use WiFi as I go around town for line and if I need a map I take a snap of it on my phone.

However this trip thinking of getting a sim, one question.

If I get a sim do I lose my line contacts and such? I will be using my same phone just replacing the SIM to a Thai one purchased at arrivals.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 minute ago, Joethescot said:

If I get a sim do I lose my line contacts and such?

No.

1 minute ago, Ru4Real said:

No.

Perfect thanks.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 minutes ago, Joethescot said:

Perfect thanks

One little caveat, check where you're saving your contacts to (SIM or phone); you wouldn't lose them if on the SIM but personally I want them always available regardless of the SIM I'm using at any given time. Also if not already doing so, check your backup regime for whatever you think worth backing up (not specific to swapping out SIMs but losing your phone - or having the damn thing do a factory reset for no bloody reason - can be a pain in the arse with no backup).

9 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

No.

You sure because if he getting a Thai Sim means he will need to migrate Line contacts over to that number surely.

I swopped over phones and needed to backup Line and migrate contacts over I then placed new sim in old phone and nowt showed ( which was ok ) as I set another new Line

Just now, FROST MEDIC999 said:

You sure because if he getting a Thai Sim means he will need to migrate Line contacts over to that number surely.

Yep, I'm sure ... that's one of the beauties of apps like Line, WhatsApp etc. they're not tied to your phone number or SIM, they're tied to your phone. 

3 minutes ago, FROST MEDIC999 said:

I swopped over phones and needed to backup Line and migrate contacts over I then placed new sim in old phone and nowt showed ( which was ok ) as I set another new Line

See end of first reply re why you had to do it with a new phone. Line has always been a bitch when swapping phones, supposed to be better now but have to remember to back up. But like you, when I got a new phone recently I lost past chats ... Line refused to recognise the damn backup 555

Other than losing the chats though, I didn't need to start a new line account as it kept the contacts :Dunno1:

2 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

It's a Yes unless he sets up a Line ID / email

See the caveat I mentioned in my second reply i.e. check his backup regime.

Always create your line id using email address and not phone number then doesn't matter what sim you using you just sign in using email address

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a very entry level question. I created my Line account several years ago using my U.S. phone number.  Currently, my Line account is linked to my U.S. phone number. I plan to add my email address. Once I add my email address will my contacts transferred when I insert a Thai sim card? Basically, does adding an email address automatically link your Line account to the email address? Thanks in advance.

26 minutes ago, Lefty6262 said:

This is probably a very entry level question. I created my Line account several years ago using my U.S. phone number.  Currently, my Line account is linked to my U.S. phone number. I plan to add my email address. Once I add my email address will my contacts transferred when I insert a Thai sim card? Basically, does adding an email address automatically link your Line account to the email address? Thanks in advance.

The e-mail address is used (or link to Facebook) to allow you to transfer the Line account (e.g. Line username) to a different phone. Used jointly with Google Drive to back up chats, a phone change is pretty easy. Line is an app set up on that phone (not SIM) and as long as you use that phone you can access internet however you want to because Line cannot detect how you are connected. 

So if you have a phone with your Line ID JoeBlow123 on it and put in a Thai SIM card to get internet, the Line app has no idea you are using that vs. the old data plan vs. wifi to access Line. There is no transferring of contacts, because it's the same phone with the same owner. Line is just one app on the phone. 

In other words, same phone, new source of internet, Line doesn't care and keeps working. You can have dual SIM phones and if you switch from SIM to SIM, Line - the same app with the same account - keeps on working. 

What you want to do before your phone ever packs it in, or if you might want to use a different mongering phone, is set up and verify the e-mail and password now. So you can move Line to a new device any time you have to or want to. 

Line and WhatsApp (and I suspect WeChat) started out by wanting to harvest all your contacts to send them invites to join, so Line and WhatsApp remain very device specific (not SIM specific, the phone itself specific). Facebook Messenger attached to a fake Facebook account is a lot easier to use across devices because it's device agnostic. Log in to FB Messenger from any device, computer, web, tablet and it is the same FB messenger.

22 hours ago, ricktoronto said:

The e-mail address is used (or link to Facebook) to allow you to transfer the Line account (e.g. Line username) to a different phone. Used jointly with Google Drive to back up chats, a phone change is pretty easy. Line is an app set up on that phone (not SIM) and as long as you use that phone you can access internet however you want to because Line cannot detect how you are connected. 

So if you have a phone with your Line ID JoeBlow123 on it and put in a Thai SIM card to get internet, the Line app has no idea you are using that vs. the old data plan vs. wifi to access Line. There is no transferring of contacts, because it's the same phone with the same owner. Line is just one app on the phone. 

In other words, same phone, new source of internet, Line doesn't care and keeps working. You can have dual SIM phones and if you switch from SIM to SIM, Line - the same app with the same account - keeps on working. 

What you want to do before your phone ever packs it in, or if you might want to use a different mongering phone, is set up and verify the e-mail and password now. So you can move Line to a new device any time you have to or want to. 

Line and WhatsApp (and I suspect WeChat) started out by wanting to harvest all your contacts to send them invites to join, so Line and WhatsApp remain very device specific (not SIM specific, the phone itself specific). Facebook Messenger attached to a fake Facebook account is a lot easier to use across devices because it's device agnostic. Log in to FB Messenger from any device, computer, web, tablet and it is the same FB messenger.

Thanks for the info.  I"ll link my Line account to an email address.

Archived