IGNORED

Urban/Urban Attitude/City Garden/Avenue Residence/The Base/ Siam Oriental/Talay 6

Newadventure

Hi everyone, we are new to all of this,  but here we go...

Looking to buy a condo in Pattaya and after reading all of yours contributions, the choice is narrowed down to the mentioned above. 

Fully aware that some of you will say -

don’t buy -just rent,but the decision has been made -so it is happening. 

No intentions to get rich and make money out of it, neither retirement is involved- purely liking the madness (living in London)  so we like to replicate it and want to use it as a “touch down base” for our travels while in Thailand. 

Your opinions are highly appreciated and welcome! 

I have done the calculations already and presented it to the other half, stating that money won’t be made on this one ever, but it is only fair if one of us have bought something, somewhere in a sort of “third world country”, with monthly return of £100 the other one have the same rights and if wanted, can buy In Thailand

(worst comes to wors- our son will really appreciate what Pattaya has to offer...) 

I personally want to go for The Base, it is small but enough for 2 people or 3 if one sleeps on the sofa. But then, I haven’t stayed anywhere else and don’t know any better...the rooftop pool is what made my mind- very silly I must admit! 

Again, your opinions and knowledge are very welcome! 

Visit each contender with a realtor for a good look. Once the list is narrowed down, stay for a night in each finalist via Airbnb. Only you know what realy ticks you boxes. IMO

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

9 hours ago, Newadventure said:

Hi everyone, we are new to all of this,  but here we go...

Looking to buy a condo in Pattaya and after reading all of yours contributions, the choice is narrowed down to the mentioned above. 

Fully aware that some of you will say -

don’t buy -just rent,but the decision has been made -so it is happening. 

No intentions to get rich and make money out of it, neither retirement is involved- purely liking the madness (living in London)  so we like to replicate it and want to use it as a “touch down base” for our travels while in Thailand. 

Your opinions are highly appreciated and welcome! 

I have done the calculations already and presented it to the other half, stating that money won’t be made on this one ever, but it is only fair if one of us have bought something, somewhere in a sort of “third world country”, with monthly return of £100 the other one have the same rights and if wanted, can buy In Thailand

(worst comes to wors- our son will really appreciate what Pattaya has to offer...) 

I personally want to go for The Base, it is small but enough for 2 people or 3 if one sleeps on the sofa. But then, I haven’t stayed anywhere else and don’t know any better...the rooftop pool is what made my mind- very silly I must admit! 

Again, your opinions and knowledge are very welcome! 

the first ? you need to ask yourself  foreign or thai quota.

My recommendation out of above only would be get a empty shell in  VT6 they still have many ( high floor if possible) do it up nicely and furnish. Sub let to honeys coffee shop or other agent down stairs while you not staying there. Down side possibility of build in empty land next door 

Definitely not the base  too small for studio and or 1 bedroom. though you can do same with RFTH https://www.rentalfortheholidays.com/en/apartment/thailand/pattaya/pattaya-beach/the-base-central-pattaya .

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Make sure when you buy it is in foreign name. Do not listen to lying, crooked agents who tell you to buy in Company name.

Don’t buy until you’ve stayed in a building to see what it’s actually like.

Of those you’ve listed, some comments I’d make are:

The Base has many, many short term holiday rentals with people coming and going all the time. Popular with Chinese visitors. A new, tall condo is being built right in front of The Base which will remove a lot of the view. There’s likely to be construction for the next 3 years.

VT6 is meant to be having a big hotel development built next to it (south side) though it’s been on hold for 2 years. If you’re prepared to pay the price for a very high floor on the north side then that’s probably the best option in this building. It’s very expensive compared to some of the other buildings you’ve mentioned though, and a very busy, noisy location.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thank you guys! I have been looking at the VT6 and like it, but the cheapest I could find is around £70 000. 

That is a lot and definitely more than we are ready to spend- I’m not taking a second mortgage or a loan to fund it, so I will have to lower my expectations and go for something cheaper- equals to “shoe box” size condo probably...  

Do you think that I’m being reasonable to expect finding something ok-ish for £50-55K? 

I guess I’ll have to expand the area of search and buy at Jomtien. 

Thank you @davidge for your advice-it will be 100% foreign quota! I’m not buying into any of this rubbish like company names, business visas etc 

20 minutes ago, Newadventure said:

Thank you guys! I have been looking at the VT6 and like it, but the cheapest I could find is around £70 000. 

That is a lot and definitely more than we are ready to spend- I’m not taking a second mortgage or a loan to fund it, so I will have to lower my expectations and go for something cheaper- equals to “shoe box” size condo probably...  

Do you think that I’m being reasonable to expect finding something ok-ish for £50-55K? 

I guess I’ll have to expand the area of search and buy at Jomtien

Thank you @davidge for your advice-it will be 100% foreign quota! I’m not buying into any of this rubbish like company names, business visas etc 

Very Central Pattaya is, obviously, more expensive than further out.

Sounds like your preferred budget is around 2 million baht. Plenty available in Pratumnak or Jomtien for that, fewer available in central Pattaya.

That is exactly what I was thinking, that my next move will be @davidge

I will look at both, but Pratumnak is somehow more in the middle? And I don't know why, but have a good feeling about it.

13 hours ago, talung66 said:

My recommendation out of above only would be get a empty shell in  VT6 they still have many ( high floor if possible) do it up nicely and furnish. Sub let to honeys coffee shop or other agent down stairs while you not staying there. Down side possibility of build in empty land next door 

Definitely not The Base  too small for studio and or 1 bedroom. though you can do same with RFTH https://www.rentalfortheholidays.com/en/apartment/thailand/pattaya/pattaya-beach/the-base-central-pattaya .

Thank you @talung66  , makes sense and you are right about The Base, but budget won't  allow me to get something at VT6 unfortunately.

19 hours ago, likeaking said:

Visit each contender with a realtor for a good look. Once the list is narrowed down, stay for a night in each finalist via Airbnb. Only you know what realy ticks you boxes. IMO

@likeaking My plan is- we come in June, 1 week (in and out)- will do as many viewings as possible, try to get the feel of the places, stay there for a night and see how we like it. Thank you for your input, I feel better knowing that someone else thinks alike.  So, if you happen to be there around this time, and see a woman running around in a high heels and a notebook in hand taking notes- you will know who will that be.. Thank you again

Do you guys think that the elections will somehow impact the market?  

18 minutes ago, Newadventure said:

That is exactly what I was thinking, that my next move will be @davidge

I will look at both, but Pratumnak is somehow more in the middle? And I don't know why, but have a good feeling about it.

Really depends on what transport you plan to use and how much walking you’re prepared to do.

Plenty of places in Jomtien right on a baht bus route whereas Pratumnak isn’t on a route so requires walking or motor taxis etc - except for one or two places like the Axis.

A friend owns in the Axis and you ‘might’ get one of the units at the front for close to your budget as they’re having trouble selling them due to the traffic noise.

3 hours ago, Newadventure said:

Do you guys think that the elections will somehow impact the market?  

Don't want to get into forbidden forum topics but I think it will either stay the same or go down. But you know what they say about opinions.

Davidge is correct, public transportation (taxis or baht bus route) Is limited in Pratumnak.

Consider who your neighbors will be. Some condo developments have a large number of units used for short-term rentals ie Airbnb which results in busses loading/unloading crowds of transient guests who have no vested interest in maintaining the comfort and integrity of the development.

The Pratumnak area has a high concentration of Russians, not that there's anything wrong with that. :Oops3:

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

23 hours ago, davidge said:

Really depends on what transport you plan to use and how much walking you’re prepared to do.

Plenty of places in Jomtien right on a baht bus route whereas Pratumnak isn’t on a route so requires walking or motor taxis etc - except for one or two places like the Axis.

A friend owns in the Axis and you ‘might’ get one of the units at the front for close to your budget as they’re having trouble selling them due to the traffic noise.

Thanks for the tip!

I will  definitely consider Axis, the noise won't be a nuisance for us I believe. In here is Ambulance/Police-Police/Ambulance every 5-10 min, so nothing new under the sun.

Like walking, but don't think  it is wise to do it, especially after few drinks- so baht bus/ motor taxi will be  the preferred choice. 

20 hours ago, likeaking said:

Don't want to get into forbidden forum topics but I think it will either stay the same or go down. But you know what they say about opinions.

Davidge is correct, public transportation (taxis or baht bus route) Is limited in Pratumnak.

Consider who your neighbors will be. Some condo developments have a large number of units used for short-term rentals ie Airbnb which results in busses loading/unloading crowds of transient guests who have no vested interest in maintaining the comfort and integrity of the development.

The Pratumnak area has a high concentration of Russians, not that there's anything wrong with that. :Oops3:

Apologies @likeaking I was not trying to get us in trouble haha... Didn't know that the topic is "forbidden" but if you say so, no more discussions. I will just quietly read the upcoming news and look at the property prices... ;)

Bloody AirBnb...but you what? As long as they are not as noisy as the Russians are (No Disrespect, I am noisy myself sometimes ), I can take it for the only reason that we won't be there for longer than 3-4 weeks at a time. 

16 hours ago, Newadventure said:

Thanks for the tip!

I will  definitely consider Axis, the noise won't be a nuisance for us I believe. In here is Ambulance/Police-Police/Ambulance every 5-10 min, so nothing new under the sun.

I’m not recommending it :) just I know about it from visiting my friend. He’s in the block nearest Pratumnak Rd not the one with the Korean restaurant downstairs. The lady in charge is at the desk in the foyer most days.

There are a number of shell units at the front, which they’ll finish off once bought. They’ll probably ask 2.4 million but are definitely open to negotiation. Not sure how far they’ll go.

6 hours ago, davidge said:

I’m not recommending it :) just I know about it from visiting my friend. He’s in the block nearest Pratumnak Rd not the one with the Korean restaurant downstairs. The lady in charge is at the desk in the foyer most days.

There are a number of shell units at the front, which they’ll finish off once bought. They’ll probably ask 2.4 million but are definitely open to negotiation. Not sure how far they’ll go.

Still, I highly appreciate the info! :)

This is the thing... Do they want them sit empty shells, or will take easy  money for it

(coming from a "stupid" farang) Bring it on I say,  if not Axis will be something else. I've heard that it is a "buyer market"...

Will keep you updated @davidge, you have a drink on me that is one thing for sure! Thank you again! 

5 minutes ago, Newadventure said:

Still, I highly appreciate the info! :)

This is the thing... Do they want them sit empty shells, or will take easy  money for it

(coming from a "stupid" farang) Bring it on I say,  if not Axis will be something else. I've heard that it is a "buyer market"...

Will keep you updated @davidge, you have a drink on me that is one thing for sure! Thank you again! 

Most Thai developers seem happy to leave empty shells rather than drop the price significantly. For example, VT7 has been finished for a long time now and there are still lots of empty shells. They won’t drop the price much at all. My friend tried to negotiate with them and they weren’t interested. He gets the feeling that the Axis is a little more open to negotiation. He told me to offer 2 million but the location doesn’t suit me.

Foreign owners trying to re-sell are a better bet for cut price condos. 

7 minutes ago, davidge said:

Most Thai developers seem happy to leave empty shells rather than drop the price significantly. For example, VT7 has been finished for a long time now and there are still lots of empty shells. They won’t drop the price much at all. My friend tried to negotiate with them and they weren’t interested. He gets the feeling that the Axis is a little more open to negotiation. He told me to offer 2 million but the location doesn’t suit me.

Foreign owners trying to re-sell are a better bet for cut price condos. 

I have been looking at it, yesterday and today...The cheapest foreign quota condos on Flipflat and East Coast start at 2.3 MM and would explore that option also. I still have time... June is when I'll make a move so let see...

Why  don't you like the location, if you don't mind me asking? 

8 minutes ago, Newadventure said:

I have been looking at it, yesterday and today...The cheapest foreign quota condos on Flipflat and East Coast start at 2.3 MM and would explore that option also. I still have time... June is when I'll make a move so let see...

Why  don't you like the location, if you don't mind me asking? 

Ignore Hipflat. Prices based on asking prices as no record of selling prices in Thailand. Agents manipulate them.

In terms of location, I’d rather be in Jomtien itself than on Pratumnak. Failing that, I’d go to Central Pattaya. Although there are shops/restaurants/bars in Pratumnak it’s fairly limited. Basically, I’d end up travelling in one direction or the other most of the time. If I’m in Jomtien, I needn’t travel anywhere if I don’t want to and still have plenty of choice.

38 minutes ago, davidge said:

Ignore Hipflat. Prices based on asking prices as no record of selling prices in Thailand. Agents manipulate them.

In terms of location, I’d rather be in Jomtien itself than on Pratumnak. Failing that, I’d go to Central Pattaya. Although there are shops/restaurants/bars in Pratumnak it’s fairly limited. Basically, I’d end up travelling in one direction or the other most of the time. If I’m in Jomtien, I needn’t travel anywhere if I don’t want to and still have plenty of choice.

Fair enough, and it makes so much sense. So, I was on the  right path to include "Siam Oriental" as a place of interest after all...hm

My only reason to look at Central Pattaya was hoping that, it will hold value for longer- for the "obvious" reasons of that.... Pattaya is Pattaya :) and if we play our cards right, we can retire in 5-8 years and have a place to call "home" for the winter period, other ways  this "exercise" is pointless as  the retirement age at the moment is 66 yo and I'm not planning to work for another 25 years. Anyway, Thank you x

11 minutes ago, Newadventure said:

Fair enough, and it makes so much sense. So, I was on the  right path to include "Siam Oriental" as a place of interest after all...hm

My only reason to look at Central Pattaya was hoping that, it will hold value for longer- for the "obvious" reasons of that.... Pattaya is Pattaya :) and if we play our cards right, we can retire in 5-8 years and have a place to call "home" for the winter period, other ways  this "exercise" is pointless as  the retirement age at the moment is 66 yo and I'm not planning to work for another 25 years. Anyway, Thank you x

I think you may find retirement age for you is 68 :) 67 for me as I’m older. Edit: unless I’ve imagined the 68 and it’s just the 67 that’s been announced so far.

Plenty of people like Pratumnak, I have my own preferences etc which dictate things for me. You may find it ok. It’s actually possible to walk to a number of places from there if you’re so inclined.

51 minutes ago, davidge said:

I think you may find retirement age for you is 68 :) 67 for me as I’m older. Edit: unless I’ve imagined the 68 and it’s just the 67 that’s been announced so far.

Plenty of people like Pratumnak, I have my own preferences etc which dictate things for me. You may find it ok. It’s actually possible to walk to a number of places from there if you’re so inclined.

Hahaha...This  is embarrassing! How can I delete my last post, so I don’t look like complete idiot?! 

Correction: A1D50E3E-F6F3-49E2-BD86-1E148BCD2F56.thumb.png.9b25b352d3b35290397d3ef25f6c754d.png

Even worst...26 more years...:) 

I wouldn’t worry about looking a complete idiot on here. You’d be FAR from alone. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on holiday in Pattaya at the moment, and happen to be staying 3 nights in the "Urban Attitude" block of flats. It is a nice apartment, with a pool, and small gym. Nothing special, but very modern. Reasonable quiet. Just under a mile from the coast/beach road.

I got the room from Agoda from a normal hotel search. OP might be best advised to try doing this with the map search to try staying in an apartment building to try it out.

Thank you for the feedback  @crazypilot 

Done the map search exercise "on paper" ....my life right now is "Pattaya maps/locations/condos, estate agents/or no estate agents, monthly fees/ foreign quotas etc", and it is almost time to bring it to reality.

Sometimes, being on the tube scrolling "Pattaya addicts" when I'm literately squashed and 10 people are in my face and ultimately seeing my phone screen, it does makes me feel a little uncomfortable but hey...:rolleyes:  

There is a potential in Pattaya and in my opinion, it is a nice place with "the good and the bad" 

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2019 at 08:52, talung66 said:

Definitely not The Base  too small for studio and or 1 bedroom. though you can do same with RFTH https://www.rentalfortheholidays.com/en/apartment/thailand/pattaya/pattaya-beach/the-base-central-pattaya .

I love view talay 6! That sounds like an awesome idea. Any links to where I could find out about these empty shells online? The only stuff I've found are from rooms that are already furnished and ready to go. Would love to fix up a place especially if the room comes cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, Pmurff107 said:

I love view Talay 6! That sounds like an awesome idea. Any links to where I could find out about these empty shells online? The only stuff I've found are from rooms that are already furnished and ready to go. Would love to fix up a place especially if the room comes cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding "empty shells":

The commenter who said this is speaking from 100% ignorance.

Considering I own and live here (seven years), there VERY few (if any?) 'empty shell' condos in VT6.

Bottom line: Budget, minimum, 3.3M/B for a 48sqm studio with NO view. 4.3 will get you a view.

5 minutes ago, galt67 said:

Considering I own and live here (seven years), there VERY few (if any?) 'empty shell' condos in VT6.

Bottom line: Budget, minimum, 3.3M/B for a 48sqm studio with NO view. 4.3 will get you a view.

Hahah.. Thanks bro. I figured the empty shell thing was too good to be true. I'm sure it would be off the market the day after it came available if one ever existed.

Did they fix that elevator yet? I just left last week. That thing was making my life miserable. 

1 hour ago, Pmurff107 said:

I love view Talay 6! That sounds like an awesome idea. Any links to where I could find out about these empty shells online? The only stuff I've found are from rooms that are already furnished and ready to go. Would love to fix up a place especially if the room comes cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

All i can find you without you walking in and talking to the juristic  or sales offices is this number out the front that advertise sale of still shell units from developer.

+ read tread link page 54 from post 1131 there maybe info that helps.

image.png.df4d180837347c12182d1a1187355ff0.png

34 minutes ago, galt67 said:

why is there a big for sale sign out the front selling units.

29 minutes ago, Pmurff107 said:

Hahah.. Thanks bro. I figured the empty shell thing was too good to be true. I'm sure it would be off the market the day after it came available if one ever existed.  I dont think you know much about the market in pattaya though this may be the case with a foreign ownership  sale.

if you want to by a lemon there are many in  the 100s.

Did they fix that elevator yet? I just left last week. That thing was making my life miserable. 

Unfortunately the  replier is the one that has no insight on the market there are many and i have seen them. and seen them being shown to prospective buyers.

Read from post 1331 on page 54 where other bm reply saying this is fact with unsold units empty shells still available in the 200 to 300 still available and unsold range.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Archived