IGNORED

Best Sunday roast these days?

Best Sunday buffet roast I've eaten is the one at the Kinnereaa.  Cost is 450 baht however if you take a lady for some companionship the buffet will be free if your check bin reaches 1100 baht.

28 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The dish itself has an ancient origin, probably earlier than medieval times, but the name is modern................................................

No idea how far dried peas go back, but along with pickled eggs and kilner jars of other veg', it was all still on the go until deep freezers were in common use.
it wasn't about taste, just a means of preserving vegetables over winter until the next crop.

So, given that presumably the septics had the same problems, what were they preserving and how.

As for the taste today of mushy peas, they can vary quite a lot, esp if not derived from dried peas at all, but if looks have owt to do with it, that weird coloured mush in your photo I would not touch....and the giveaway is the addition of salad....clearly not a Brit' offering.  giphy.gif.93a54c1e9b7536284b0d4871d6512a95.gif

Oops drifted off.....no I never have mushy peas with a Sunday Roast.....only with FnC.
To answer the Q...I am currently favouring Nicky's, with RHT in second place.

Edited by Edge

Mushy peas I wasn’t aware of the history and usually you have with Fish n Chips but never with a Sunday Roast so was wondering if it came from somewhere especially or just founds it’s way on the RH as an option.

But the Faggots Chips and Peas or Beans wouldn’t be a bad option to add to the Menu bloody lovely.

• 8 months later...

Yesterday, had a Sunday roast from Jimmy's in Jomtiem. Had to go and pick it up, they did say that they hope to be on Hungry now next week. Had the roast lamb, came with all the trimmings. 299B. Overall, was an enjoyable meal.GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATE0YzYwLWU2YTktODI5Zi0wMAItMDAKAEYAAANPyec2y6MtT5MkZcX3osSmBwD9u0zga9rzQpR9U9TY8kaLAAACAQwAAAD9u0zga9rzQpR9U9TY8kaLAARO32dVAAAAARIAEAA55%2BnzlhXgSp3UgzYjf21G&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.GfwfGVuTlQ-YFyX86Ad_G9K1_VMGvNMV3uFBTzDGaHgnjMNnQkIcL1EMj8prqbKGVfOo6E3f8KSSAr4IC5VbMZWS26ku6Wg6R2xJmt1SheXnlfpW4YpCogFxzvUbGK5zh3dltqrAi-6D5dp6GZ0fhRDufLffn3eibmNxmrO_NBmC_CWRuL0-AwIjV7-ISk6-f9vsmtVI4RGJe-WcpzWRGjGFqk6iw5gONsf8lEZ2kx9vRPJ981BbmGwz5hDIAqQYcfACqlrZw8Y2x8wOHNBUIu6TKUvJzYX8Lewj6rk5uEEG4q-2yJ5C_6C8MZDSrShvmScDS7vSoVqGEMA_MwLjkA&X-OWA-CANARY=IcwlTLe7PkiU62XghUr4C2CguefZDdkYSHA2KOpV8Wpxj_J7WDcspfnVKRzuxpxsrnDNQDcIt2E.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210426004.07&animation=true

Nicky's

20210502_133410.thumb.jpg.e54f3df15b945637e6636143eb9ef33b.jpg20210502_132842.thumb.jpg.ada9b49ee968b6604116dfd238c00367.jpg

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Nicky's

20210502_133410.thumb.jpg.e54f3df15b945637e6636143eb9ef33b.jpg20210502_132842.thumb.jpg.ada9b49ee968b6604116dfd238c00367.jpg

What the heck is that ugly thing in the middle?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Thanks for the Doh @Edge But I honestly don't know. Sorry for my Yankee ignorance.

8 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Thanks for the Doh @Edge But I honestly don't know. Sorry for my Yankee ignorance.

Doh.gif.fda54114048d499cfe377cf03b5455bd.gif Have a real one........

....................................you really don't need to know unless you get one with your Burger & Fries.

Sorry, but whenever one of our Colonial cousins posts something that makes no sense I simply assume that it's an attempt at humour and move on.

Edited by Edge

41 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Yorkshire Pudding -- one of my favorite side dishes from my childhood and a staple of any Sunday roast.

I'm a Yank, but my Grandma was from England and DAMN that woman could cook! Roast beef (or pork), roasted potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding....damn, I'm drooling just thinking about it!

The memories that Sunday Roasts bring back are one of my favorite non-Thai girl things about Thailand. I have a ton of photos on my phone of them (the Sunday Roasts....well, AND the girls! 5555).

Gotta be honest that I've never seem stuffing inside a Yorkshire pudding before....but I'm gonna TRY it asap! 5555

17 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

OK I relent........though if you'd left out 'ugly' you might have got an answer first time.

L2P has given a good recommendation but for a detailed one we usually refer to another Murican foodie @Evil Penevil (probably one in this thread already)..

The history of it I believe lies in the small bakeries which once existed in almost every Yorkshire village and around every town (ditto Northamptonshire and no doubt many others).
The tradition was for villagers to take their roasting tin and joint of beef to the nearby bakery, where the oven was still hot from the morning's break baking and the baker would slide it in.
After it was cooked, the beef would be removed to stand and batter mix would be added which would cook in the fat and meat juices.......to many a lad it was a meal by itself. 
At home my Mum would add the batter before the Beef was finished and cook the Yorkshire Pudding around it.

These individual puddings are obviously not cooked around a joint, but they are the most authentic I've tasted here.... not to be confused with frozen ones....well they won't be if you taste them.

Lest you wonder what the bakers were doing slaving away on the Lord's Day, traditionally Roast Beef was on a Wednesday.......and Thursday was Cottage Pie with the leftovers.
You could substitute Roast Lamb (as pictured above) but then of course Thursday would be Shepherd's Pie.

13 hours ago, Edge said:

You could substitute Roast Lamb (as pictured above) but then of course Thursday would be Shepherd's Pie.

Sorry to digress, but you have hit upon one of my pet peeves.....

My Mother (and her Mother) always made Shepherd's Pie with chunks of roast beef (we never ate lamb, as my Mother didn't like it). EVERY restaurant in which I see it -- ESPECIALLY here in 'Murica -- seems to make it with ground beef, which I think is a bastardization of Shepherd's Pie! 
(although my Mom using beef instead of lamb was probably a bastardization in and of itself! 5555)

@Luv2Phuket

Shepherds don't keep cattle is all it's about AFAIK?  :wacko:

Edit - George Michael had nowt to do with Cottage Pie.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Edge
  • Haha 3

I have had the roast lamb at Nickys many times. I eat as much as I can washed down with some red wine and then get the leftovers (which are normally more than I have eaten) and take it home and put it in the fridge. Have yet to get a full meal out of the next day as the TGF has snaffled it.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

Shepard’s Pie is made with ground beef in NZ/Australia.  Didn’t know roast beef in it was a thing.  

46 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_pie

Looks like it’s ground beef everywhere except at your house :-)

Scrappy defnition but says 'ground meat' / 'ground red meat'....meat not beef.

Again, Shepherds don't keep beef cattle......Cottagers may do.

I’m referring to where he was saying his mother used ROAST meat not GROUND meat. 

The meat itself is an entirely different discussion … 

Edited by Arnie85

I'm stuck in farang land, but saw this on Facebook for those who are in Pattaya - RH seems to get good reviews in this thread:

Robin Hood Pattaya
Competition time
For something new we’re offering our customers today check in on fb with a pic of your Sunday roast dinner purchased from Robin Hood and we will choose our favorite pic at the end of the day
Then next Sunday we will send you a three course Sunday meal on us
Soup of the day
Our great Sunday roast dinner
And a dessert of your choice
Have a great Sunday everyone

Today, I went for the Sportsman SR carvery, delivered by Hungry Now, normally 395B but with HN discount was 255B. When the guy handed me the bag, it was so heavy.

It was a massive amount of food, 5 different meats. I ate half, and will have enough for a large full meal again tomorrow, along with the soup. Quality of food was good.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jimboh said:

Today, I went for the Sportsman SR carvery, delivered by Hungry Now, normally 395B but with HN discount was 255B. When the guy handed me the bag, it was so heavy.

It was a massive amount of food, 5 different meats. I ate half, and will have enough for a large full meal again tomorrow, along with the soup. Quality of food was good.

Sportsmans has had a good reputation for food for a number of years...

• 2 months later...

Only takeaway but still Nicky's Roast Lamb for me.

.20210801_173052.thumb.jpg.da0698698a07f11ac3cdff53594d5d64.jpg

20210801_172635.thumb.jpg.23f88ffd1d836a0dfa36a58688bbc411.jpg

Yesterday, had the mixed meat combo from Caddyshack, free delivery, 325B. When I phoned in the order, around 7pm, lady said they were out of soup and desert, so I suspect, that the dinner comes with both normally. It was a big meal, lamb, beef, chicken and ham. Lamb was really good, beef tough, have not had the chicken and ham yet but do look good. All in all, would recommend.