Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Sunday roast these days?

2 hours ago, sulu said:

Agree with @petermik, Evil and @Atlas. Just can't eat enough any more to enjoy an all-you-can-eat carvery.

But I like @Evil Penevil Kilkenny's and Robinhood's plates. For about 200 Baht they don't look bad at all. Will have to give both of these places a try next trip.

Thanks Evil

For me, it is not the quantity, but the ability to select and go back for more of certain items. 

The key sides on a Sunday Roast for me are Yorkshire pudding and the roast spuds.  I frequently go back and get seconds of them, whereas the mashed potatoes, cabbage and peas would largely wasted on my plate.

That said, it would be a tough call to pay about 200 baht more (nearly double!) just to get an extra Yorkshire and/or some more potatoes.  Hell, I could just order a second meal!  5555

I'm now hoping to try RH on my February trip.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I also rate the Robin Hood. Decent quality and I like the self service so I can get a decent amount of the side sauces. The Baan Na Garden Restaurant pics look good. Might check that place out.

• Like 1

Went back yesterday to Robin Hood at the Avenue for their large plated Sunday Roast, 299B.

Last time, I enjoyed the sliced chicken, but this time, they had whole chicken breasts, wrapped with bacon, did not really look that appetizing, so went for the beef, also had one slice of pork, rather dry. But the beef was good, as was everything else.

Missus enjoys their Thai dishes, which are big portions.

Place was busy yesterday, seem to be doing decent trade at the moment, just cant fault this place at the moment.

SR thumbnail_IMG_9889.jpg

Had Sunday Roast at Hemingway's in Jomtien yesterday, went for the mixed meat, at 310B, beef lamb and chicken.

Meal was average, meats were rather tasteless, both the beef and lamb were sliced very thin, gravy and Yorkshire pudding were good, Mash was way too creamy, only 3 small roast spuds, small portion of veg. Stuffing very stogey.

I do like Hemingway's, was busy yesterday evening, is a nice airy and clean place, staff seem switched on, they do daily specials that seem decent value and their menu looks appealing, especially bar snack menu. Missus had Thai dish and said it was good.

hmw thumbnail_IMG_9919.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimboh said:

Had Sunday Roast at Hemingway's in Jomtien yesterday, went for the mixed meat, at 310B, beef lamb and chicken.

Meal was average, meats were rather tasteless, both the beef and lamb were sliced very thin, gravy and Yorkshire pudding were good, Mash was way too creamy, only 3 small roast spuds, small portion of veg. Stuffing very stogey.

I do like Hemingway's, was busy yesterday evening, is a nice airy and clean place, staff seem switched on, they do daily specials that seem decent value and their menu looks appealing, especially bar snack menu. Missus had Thai dish and said it was good.

We must have been there at the same time. I was watching the footy. The only roast I occasionally have there is the chicken for 250 baht. Beef & lamb can be atrocious. Had the chicken Saturday. Bit dry. Yorkshire inedible. Roast pots mediocre. Cauliflower chewy. Other times, it’s been a lot better.

image.jpeg

Western food more miss than hit there, I’m afraid. Thai food is usually good. Main reason I go there is to watch sport. 

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 3 months later...

I like the Sunday roast from Robin Hood at avenue 2nd road. Tasty and a big portion and enough sauce. 

But it's already 2 months ago that I was there.

1 hour ago, Creamboy said:

I like the Sunday roast from Robin Hood at avenue 2nd road. Tasty and a big portion and enough sauce. 

But it's already 2 months ago that I was there.

Takeaway only at present.

This one 299 Baht.

66299.thumb.jpg.f69bbd5acc385f3a03cb5443e94044d8.jpg

Caddy Shack is my favourite when in town, Pig & Whistle Jomtien second

7 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

Robin Hood in March. 

F305D7DF-EFA0-4E98-9DE0-8A524F1B8560.jpeg

8581EE00-39E2-4A03-9ABF-64667E7CC894.jpeg

588AD4E6-EF3A-45E1-8FA5-B623612AC53F.jpeg

7A4C0F98-1661-49FE-967F-6CE15984AD29.jpeg

Robin Hood meats are second to none.   :ThumbUp6:

For value, Robin Hood, get the small plate ( not small)  199,  or treat yourself at The Sportsman, fantastic roast, go for the lamb!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, goodtimesonly said:

For value, Robin Hood, get the small plate ( not small)  199,  or treat yourself at The Sportsman, fantastic roast, go for the lamb!

Big difference?

Sportsman being how much?........Ah - Closed I see.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Edge

25 minutes ago, goodtimesonly said:

I find the small to be big enough for me, all the takeaways are -10% in RH and Sportsman is closed at the moment.

Think the Sportsman carvery is 450B now, been a few years since I have been but has always been good quality.

For me, RHT is best Sunday roast on the go at the moment, I had the large plated for 300B last Sunday, could not finish it, kept the roast beef for Monday sandwich. Good value and good quality.

• 2 months later...

Glad to report all's still good at Robin Hood Tavern, had the small plated roast for 199B, great value and good quality. 

Place was busy around 7pm.

tttthumbnail_IMG_1709.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robin Hood is good......usually have the large plated at 299.

sr2.thumb.jpg.b8570f7f63a802d220072d0b14d97fc0.jpg

Did the Sportsman recently......very good, discounted to 395 AYCE at present but I don't want soup and dessert....plus it was too hot no AC.
No photo

Today I did Nicky's Small Lamb......tip top.

72482.thumb.jpg.74b6ce11adc1583337a5495a0a2ec7f4.jpg

On 28/06/2020 at 22:21, Edge said:

usually have the large plated at 299.

Yes, that was what I always went for but found the small plated roast to be enough for me.

Interestingly, I left RHT around 8pm, and it was almost full, passed by Nicky's and empty.

I am tempted to try Sportsman next Sunday, think I read somewhere that they have reduced price to 395B, as it was always quality whenever I visited in the past.

3 hours ago, jimboh said:

Interestingly, I left RHT around 8pm, and it was almost full, passed by Nicky's and empty.

I am tempted to try Sportsman next Sunday, think I read somewhere that they have reduced price to 395B, as it was always quality whenever I visited in the past.

RH is currently attracting good bar trade (with food obv) so 8pm would be busy.

8pm is way late for Nickys IMO....more a Sunday Lunch time place.....sell bottles though.

Sportsman was good but compulsory soup & dessert makes it expensive (esp for someone who can't even manage the RH 299 plated :P) .......that's even before it goes back up from 395 to 475.
TBH I was hot having walked there and no AC made it uncomfortable so I got ratty......plus listening to a certain attention seeking Breakfast Club member throughout.

• 4 weeks later...

RHT have changed their Sunday Roast set up, I was there last Sunday.

Gone is the buffet and now it is just a set price dinner, at 299B.

You get a check list, tick the boxes to chose what you want, so can still chose a mixture of meats, limited to 5 slices.

Still all good quality.

8 minutes ago, jimboh said:

RHT have changed their Sunday Roast set up, I was there last Sunday.

Gone is the buffet and now it is just a set price dinner, at 299B.

You get a check list, tick the boxes to chose what you want, so can still chose a mixture of meats, limited to 5 slices.

Still all good quality.

Not tried it yet.

74733.thumb.jpg.5fb571b5dcfdd070a9dd2bf3ac513642.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 12:01, jimboh said:

A few weeks ago went to Baan Na Garden Restraurant - Huay Yai. It was one of the better Sunday Roasts I have had, roast lamb.

Everything was good, except for the mint sauce, had way too much vinegar and could not taste mint. The only other negative was the potatoes, only 3 small roast spuds, should have had mash or some more roast spuds.

This was so close to being the best Sunday roast around Pattaya, also a bit of a hike for someone in town.

Bann Na IMG_5873.JPG

I returned to Baan Na Garden yesterday for roast lamb with high expectations, based on my previous visit 18 months age.

Extremely disappointed with the lamb, was tough and stringy.

Surprisingly, a guy posted on facebook that he was there yesterday, also had lamb and said it was great.

On 23/07/2020 at 20:58, Edge said:

Not tried it yet.

74733.thumb.jpg.5fb571b5dcfdd070a9dd2bf3ac513642.jpg

To be honest when I go there I always ask the Lady just plate one up and bring to me so this idea suits me fine never been dissatisfied always good. The one though I ain’t got my head around is where did the idea of Mushy Peas come from with a Sunday dinner is it some regional speciality back home ?

4 hours ago, Czmate said:

The one though I ain’t got my head around is where did the idea of Mushy Peas come from with a Sunday dinner is it some regional speciality back home ?

To non-Brits, mushy peas have to be one of the most repulsive dishes conceivable. I don't think it tastes bad with malt vinegar or Mint sauce; it's the color and texture (like baby food) that for me makes it, uh, hard to swallow.

The dish itself has an ancient origin, probably earlier than medieval times, but the name is modern. From the Foods of England Project, which is a great source of information on traditional British cooking:

Mushy Peas
Fruit and Vegetables

Dried marrowfat peas, reconstituted and boiled with plain water until fallen to a soft mush.

Sodium carbonate is sometimes added to the water used to reconstitute the peas so as to prevent chlorophyll breaking down and preserve a bright green colour. Always offered with fish and chips in the North.

500-foodsofengland%20%20verymushy.jpg
Mushy Peas - probably cooked with sodium carbonate

Although peas cooked until fallen is almost certainly an ancient dish (see: Pease Pudding) there doesn't seem to be any record of the actual phrase 'mushy peas' before the TV series 'Last of The Summer Wine' in 1973 with the line written by Roy Clarke; "Clegg: We only left him last night. Stuffing his face with fish, chips and mushy peas." (OED)

'Marrowfat' simply means a mature pea, plump and suitable for drying, and is not in any way connected with the Japanese 'Maro' pea.

500-mushpeas313285.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

9 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

To non-Brits, mushy peas have to be one of the most repulsive dishes conceivable. I don't think it tastes bad with malt vinegar or mint sauce; it's the color and texture (like baby food) that for me makes it, uh, hard to swallow.

The dish itself has an ancient origin, probably earlier than medieval times, but the name is modern. From the Foods of England Project, which is a great source of information on traditional British cooking:

Mushy Peas
Fruit and Vegetables

Dried marrowfat peas, reconstituted and boiled with plain water until fallen to a soft mush.

Sodium carbonate is sometimes added to the water used to reconstitute the peas so as to prevent chlorophyll breaking down and preserve a bright green colour. Always offered with fish and chips in the North.

500-foodsofengland%20%20verymushy.jpg
Mushy Peas - probably cooked with sodium carbonate

Although peas cooked until fallen is almost certainly an ancient dish (see: Pease Pudding) there doesn't seem to be any record of the actual phrase 'mushy peas' before the TV series 'Last of The Summer Wine' in 1973 with the line written by Roy Clarke; "Clegg: We only left him last night. Stuffing his face with fish, chips and mushy peas." (OED)

'Marrowfat' simply means a mature pea, plump and suitable for drying, and is not in any way connected with the Japanese 'Maro' pea.

500-mushpeas313285.jpg

Some people have absolutely no taste. :)

Mushy peas are absolutely essential, not only with fish & chips but also with faggots

image.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”