Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Sunday roast these days?

On 10/03/2019 at 21:05, Evil Penevil said:

I had the Sunday roast lamb dinner last night at Kilkenny.  Everything was really good- the lamb, potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, veggies and gravy.  No complaints at all.  You get an extra boat of gravy that's not in the picture.  Best deal in town for 199 baht.

IMG_0062.jpg.910fc534734a38f264a136621b34a188.jpg

Portion was more than enough for me, but if you have a really big appetite, you are better off going to one of the "all-you-can-eat" carveries.  Same-same if you want beef, pork or chicken as your meats or want dessert included.

Evil

I used to like Robins Nest before they started to pre-cut the meat and not carve it at the counter!  Also the price went up a few times so now my favourite is the Roast Lamb at Kilkenny. I agree with Evil the portions are more than enough. 

From my own limited experience, Sportsman was probably the best...though it's probably one of the most expensive and can get a little crowded/claustrophobic.

I actually prefer the Queen Vic on Soi 6.  A really nice carvery, slightly less expensive and more 'space' to feel relaxed and comfortable...as well as many places nearby to have an aperitif or after-dinner dessert!

4 hours ago, kd_traveller said:

I used to like Robins Nest before they started to pre-cut the meat and not carve it at the counter!  Also the price went up a few times so now my favourite is the Roast Lamb at Kilkenny. I agree with Evil the portions are more than enough. 

The roast pork is carved for you as you hold out your plate at Robins Nest. The roast beef & corned beef is pre sliced and in the heated servery etc.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

A few weeks ago went to Baan Na Garden Restraurant - Huay Yai. It was one of the better Sunday Roasts I have had, roast lamb.

Everything was good, except for the Mint sauce, had way too much vinegar and could not taste Mint. The only other negative was the potatoes, only 3 small roast spuds, should have had mash or some more roast spuds.

This was so close to being the best Sunday roast around Pattaya, also a bit of a hike for someone in town.

Bann Na IMG_5873.JPG

I think the best (value anyway) is the Robin Hood at the Avenue. Large roast beef dinner for 180 (with VIP card).

• Like 2

Like the pictures of the lamb and maybe sunday roast in the offing this Sunday with election and all.  Any good sunday roast places have Mint jelly for their lamb vs Mint sauce?

17 hours ago, Zeb said:

The roast pork is carved for you as you hold out your plate at Robins Nest. The roast beef & corned beef is pre sliced and in the heated servery etc.

That is an improvement since I was last there and corned beef is different too.  When I was last there it was pre-sliced pork, beef and ham.  When I first went there it was a real carvery and all the meats were cut when asked for.

5 hours ago, kd_traveller said:

That is an improvement since I was last there and corned beef is different too.  When I was last there it was pre-sliced pork, beef and ham.  When I first went there it was a real carvery and all the meats were cut when asked for.

When I first went there the premises weren't enclosed and air conditioned, which I find a big improvement.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday, went to Welcome Inn on Soi Khao Noi and have to say, best Sunday roast I have had in Pattaya recently. Went for the roast lamb, everything was good, came with a jug of gravy also. Place is fresh, has A/C, service good and at 210Baht, great value also. Plan to try the mixed meat dinner next week, which is a combo of lamb. pork, beef and chicken and is 250B.

IMG_6083 Sunday r.JPG

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If you're in Jomtien - I think the Sunday roast at Hemingways is pretty good

It can vary, but I agree it’s pretty good at its best. I avoid the beef as it’s always very tough. Lamb is good, though expensive, and half a chicken is just too much for me but is decent value.

If I want beef, I go to P&W around the corner on a Sunday. Not brilliant but consistently acceptable.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Tough beef is an issue with all places I have tried around Pattaya, will try P & W soon.

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Tough beef is an issue with all places I have tried around Pattaya, will try P & W soon.

Had some visitors from the U.S. here recently and we went to the Longhorn Steakhouse in the Kiss Arcade parallel Soi Diana. All five guys ordered various steaks and all were very pleased with their cuts of meat, which were cooked as requested. They picked up the tab so they weren't just being polite. I'm not a steak guy and had a burger, to which they all laughed. I got the last laugh at them when the foodies sent back a bottle of wine because it wasn't the correct temperature. Anyway, I trust their judgement on steaks.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Had some visitors from the U.S. here recently and we went to the Longhorn Steakhouse in the Kiss Arcade parallel Soi Diana. All five guys ordered various steaks and all were very pleased with their cuts of meat, which were cooked as requested.

Ate at this restaurant twice. Had a t-bone and lamb chops both of which were tender and cooked as requested. I haven't tried Beefeater yet which seems to have the largest crowd. Steak & Co which I ate at before was not as tender as longhorn.

On 10/03/2019 at 18:28, petermik said:

I cannot eat 449 baht,s worth of food anymore........:ThumbDown1:

Yep, I am in same boat... That is why I have not bothered going to thee Roast dinners.... 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 09/03/2019 at 19:56, Pheat said:

Nickys Soi Buckhow 

My favourite sunday roast

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jimboh said:

Pretty sure it’s frozen sliced beef rather than carved from a joint, but it’s ok. Roast or mashed spuds - I usually have roast - normal veg you tend to get here, Yorkshire & horseradish sauce. Also, not too much food for me - which so many places mentioned would be now. 

Available every day but the Special on a Sunday so a bit cheaper.

From last year:

7E81BE55-33BF-42AA-A191-C2BBE0309A92.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimboh said:

That  looks good.

I’ve got pics of 4 times I’ve had it over the last (almost) 4 years and it looks exactly the same each time. Consistency isn’t always found in Pattaya restaurants. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, went back again to Baan Na Garden Restaurant, on  Huay Yai. This time went for the roast beef and have to say, was very good. Possibly the first time I have had decent roast beef in and around Pattaya. Beef was tender and moist, was cut thin, gravy excellent, the 4 veg cooked perfectly, with a bit of crunch-so many places overcook veg. Roast spuds and Yorkshires were good and there was a sauce served also that I do not know what it is called but tasted good. Only complaint was no mashed potatoes.

Think it was 350B, its an open air place, pleasant setting.

Missus was pleased with her Thai food, which is a boost, especially when planning a return visit.

They also presented me with a 10% discount voucher, which can be redeemed in the next 2 weeks.

thumbnail_IMG_8595.jpg

Edited by jimboh

• 1 month later...

After a good F &  C experience on Friday, I returned to Tropical on Darkside for Sunday roast yesterday.

Not disappointed, had a really good roast lamb dinner with all the trimmings. No complaints, came in at a reasonable 250B.

I did notice soup available, help your self, not sure but can only guess its available free with Sunday Roast??? Was not informed by staff or was wrote on blackboard that advertised special of the day was Sunday roast.

Place was busy around 3 in afternoon. And missus likes Thai food there also, so win win. 

Tropical_IMG_8892.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/03/2019 at 12:19, chris2004 said:

I think the best (value anyway) is the Robin Hood at the Avenue. Large roast beef dinner for 180 (with VIP card).

Recently had Sunday roast at RH Avenue, 299 for the large plate, meat is carved for you and help yourself veg, spuds etc. Verdict-excellent, possibly the best in Pattaya. The pigs in blankets and stuffing very good. Highly recommend. I went for chicken-and was great, so moist and tasty. Will try the beef next week, although I reckon you can have a meat mixture. Did note that the lamb was 30B extra.

I had the Robin Hood's Sunday roast tonight. The food at the RH has improved a lot under new management, so I decided try the roast beef dinner, Normally I order chicken or lamb as the roast beef and roast pork have seldom been good in Pattaya.  But since the RH has been on a winning streak, I went all in and had the roast beef.  I wasn't disappointed.

IMG_0061.jpg.048a9e733aed1f151e00885e907c7e1f.jpg

I had the small plate at 199 baht, which was more than enough for me.  There's also a large fixed plate dinner for 299 baht and the "all-you-can-eat" cavery buffet that includes soup and dessert for 395 baht.  Each dinner has a choice of five meats: beef, pork, honey glazed ham, lamb and chicken.

IMG_0065.jpg.9d61960a79f04d2c3f37e33ec2061036.jpg

The fixed-plate meals come with Yorkshire pudding, mashed and roasted potatoes, peas, carrots,  cabbage and a boat of gravy, plus a small portion of stuffing and a bacon-wrapped cocktail sausage.

IMG_0069.jpg.25346d567c7891af0a6978995ef7aaf5.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg.b756c5eeb3a4ea9c18cb76dce75f5040.jpg

The beef was tender and full of flavor.  The Yorkshire pudding was puffy and light,  just as it should be.  The gravy had been made from scratch.  The mashed potatoes were but the roasties were a bit soggy,  possibly from standing in a warming tray.  The carrots had been grilled, which was a nice touch.  The cabbage had actually been undercooked.  That has to be the first time I've ever encountered a vegetable that hadn't been boiled long enough in a British-style Sunday roast dinner.

IMG_0064.jpg.dce417a29eb1d25de4f059d39fcb4512.jpg

The beef is the star of any Sunday roast and while it didn't exactly shine at RH, it was certainly good. No complaints on my part.

IMG_0074.jpg.5b33ca89e8b7390ec2f596f365f850f3.jpg

The condiment basket included a jar of Coleman's Mustard, which goes very well with roast beef.

I had had a fixed-plate Sunday roast in February when the RH had been under its old management.  That meal had mediocre at best.  No question the Robin Hood Tavern has seen a strong turn around in terms of its food.

Below is a pic from the RH's Facebook page.  The perspective exaggerates the size of the roast and vegetables!

79077562_2690051597889191_3622721295457714176_o.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Agree with @petermik, Evil and @Atlas. Just can't eat enough any more to enjoy an all-you-can-eat carvery.

But I like @Evil Penevil Kilkenny's and Robinhood's plates. For about 200 Baht they don't look bad at all. Will have to give both of these places a try next trip.

Thanks Evil

• Like 1

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou